Modifying a short course truck shell...?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok.. ok yeah. That was gonna be one of my questions.. I watched the videos but I was curious about different ways to get it to temp. Also what temp is best for forming corners and curves. From a welding background.. so I want the specs! Lol
Thanks, bud!
short answer is don't do it unless you're okay with making a mess and destroying the body.

Proper way is to build a block mold, heat the plastic in an oven then vacuum form the plastic over the mold, this guy explains the steps here:

Only problem is you need a clear flat plastic sheet, you can't easily re-mold plastic that has already been molded without screwing something up :(

Well alright!
Yeah.. cuz you just re weld it with acetone or heat it up a little to bend, right?
Yeah, breaks can be welded, or a patch can be made to cover the break on the inside. If you get a dent and it doesn't crack, a little heat from a hair dryer is enough to make it soft enough to reform it.

But styrene or ABS bodies are typically only used on crawlers. That doesn't mean you can't use it on a basher, but it will be more brittle than a lexan body, which will also crack and deform. But you can't repair lexan very easily, so there is that.

I have a Tamiya Bruiser clone, which is more of a basher than a crawler, and it has an ABS body on it and it takes a beating. There are other fast RC cars and trucks that have used ABS bodies. It's just that lexan is so much cheaper, and easier to make.

Back