Modifying a short course truck shell...?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustnWynn

RCTalk Racer
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Just throwing some ideas out there because I'm new and I wanna see if this has been done before...
20240214_101643.jpg

Has anyone ever tried to turn one of these into a flatbed?? I'm having the damndest time tryin to find a shell of what I want.
Seems to me that I could cut the back.. the spare holder section.. out completely. Then I would have a semi flat surface for a bed. Thin sheet of metal riveted on.. or maybe a wood bed would look kinda cool..?
I don't know.. just spitballin really.
What I really want is the proline power wagon half shell with a crawler flatbed. But this little Gypsy is only 16" long with a 12" shell. So I'm kinda limited here

Id try a hair dryer or a Heated block that wont stick to body. dont forget make a jig so body post holes stay lined up.

Id try a hair dryer or a Heated block that wont stick to body. dont forget make a jig so body post holes stay lined up.
I'm sorry bud. I don't follow

How bout this...
Does anybody know where to get small metal supplies for these? Specifically I'm looking for the tubing to make a roll cage from
We use swaglock tubing and fittings offshore and I'm pretty handy bending that stuff. I've just never run across any that small

Last edited:
Have you ever worked with styrene? It is so easy to work with. You can bend it, form it, weld it together with ease using acetone or plastic weld, and it can be used to make anything.

The dump bed and plow on this is all styrene.
20140204_203240_zpse7f099e5.jpg

20140204_213031_zps0877ebd6.jpg
20140204_211822_zpsabfbaba2.jpg

20140205_083731_zps86704ee6 (1).jpg

20140206_225911_zps7d26cf1c.jpg

20140206_231653_zps804f0c5d.jpg

I'm sorry bud. I don't follow

How bout this...
Does anybody know where to get small metal supplies for these? Specifically I'm looking for the tubing to make a roll cage from
We use swaglock tubing and fittings offshore and I'm pretty handy bending that stuff. I've just never run across any that small
K&s metals in hobby shops or ace hardware. Or if you know tye size, bulk buy it on eBay. Dubro has tube benders at the hobby shop and on the bay.

Alot of builders also use what @WickedFog said and use styrene. There is also another one i forgot the name of.

Good luck on your unique project.

Not my own personal ones, because it was 20 years ago when I was into model railroading. But there is a ton of stuff on YouTube.

This is a good one.

There are also builds on YouTube you can follow along with. This guy works eith styrene quite a bit.

This guy has some good stuff as well.

Thanks, man!

K&s metals in hobby shops or ace hardware. Or if you know tye size, bulk buy it on eBay. Dubro has tube benders at the hobby shop and on the bay.

Alot of builders also use what @WickedFog said and use styrene. There is also another one i forgot the name of.

Good luck on your unique project.
Thank you, sir.
Happy to be here

Last edited:
Not sure what car it is. But I have a slash. ProLine and JConcepts have SCT bodies that look like an actual truck with a bed. Silverado 1500 for example by proline.

You can't modify a lexan body without compromising the integrity of the shell. If it will be a "shelf queen" then fine, but expect the shell to crack and will be destroyed the first time you roll over :(

There are flat bed options out there for various classes:
https://rccarkings.net/bodies.htm
To be honest I'm not too concerned about the integrity.. buy you're not wrong. I'd like to learn the styrene stuff.. but it might be easier to just get a whole shell
That site you linked is exactly what I've been looking for. I gotta realize that there's more than just amazon out there. 😏

they form these shells from a sheet they use heat to do it. yo can modify the body as I said. .played around with lean sheets a few times. I use heat lamps to get the Lexan to pliable temps.318 f was the magic temperature

they form these shells from a sheet they use heat to do it. yo can modify the body as I said. .played around with lean sheets a few times. I use heat lamps to get the Lexan to pliable temps.318 f was the magic temperature
Ok.. ok yeah. That was gonna be one of my questions.. I watched the videos but I was curious about different ways to get it to temp. Also what temp is best for forming corners and curves. From a welding background.. so I want the specs! Lol
Thanks, bud!

Back