Lifetime warranty tools?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubster

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am looking for a set of hex drivers and nut drivers. I would like to get something with a lifetime warrantly, especially on the hex drivers. Are there any big name brands that carry a decent set that can just be returned to the store if something happens? First that came to mind was Craftsman, I checked their website and only saw a set of T-Handled drivers which I wasn't crazy about, atleast by looking at the picture. I'll have to check Sears next time I am town. Any others?

Don't know about t handle hex drivers.
Some of the stuff that Kmart and wal-mart carry have a lifetime warranty.
Lowes carries Kobalt, but I couldn't find anyting on their web-site.
Probably some other hardware stores, like Ace.
Some of the auto parts stores.
If you have a truck or welding supply store close, they carry tools.
And of course if you can find a Snap-on or a Mac truck running around.....

Warranty is not going to mean crap if the store doesn't carry them all the time. Just my 2 cents.
But if I need it and they have to order a replacement, what's the use?

I'm not much on Craftsman. Don't get me wrong. I still have a lot of it. But I'm there about once every couple of weeks with something. You can't beat em for convenience.
I bought a cheap set from Kmart about 10 years ago. Broke the rachet. They didn't give me any crap about it, just gave me a rachet. I'm very satisfied with the set. But I'm not sure they still carry the same brand now.

Nub, if you are looking for something to use on the R/C's regular tools will not work too well. You need the precision of good R/C tools and the thin walls of hobby nut drivers. Good hobby tools last awhile, but I do not recall any that have a lifetime warranty. My OFNA tools are over a year old and have built 5 kits and rebuilt/modded many an R/C. The only regular tools I use is a set of metric and standard ignition wrenches from Craftsman.

Life time tools are good for regular use at home or on the car. There are some great brands and not so great brands.

For precession RC tools I haven't found a lifetime brand thats any good. I would rather get an Allen set that doesn't strip my screws that I may or may not need to replace every few years rather then put up with the agony of stripping heads.

Thanks for the info. I was just interested in the store brands due to the convenience, but if they aren't as good, I'll go with a hobby brand as you guys suggest. I have other threads about what is recommended as far as brands, any that I should stay away from? Thanks for the help.

You get what you pay for, basically. My OFNA tools have replaceable tips. Also, get handles that are hex shaped. They will not roll away that way.

Here is an example of what I have bought in the past:

http://nitrohouse.com/acces,_tools.htm

Well I'm a craftsman tool guy by heart but if I was a machanic I would use Snap-on/Maco etc. The craftsman offers a lifetime warranty as good as the rest but the rest don't break as easlily. Now that is for your typical house hold or 1:1 car tools though. As for RC's I haven't found a lifetimer set yet but I really wouldn't think a decent set would do you wrong. I bought a set of used Associated/Ingey tools http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJTR0&P=ML off ebay but mine doesn't have the size marked on them. Anyways, I love the hell out of these tools, they cost a few bucks but beats the hell out of using my fold out hex key set I was using ;) Now since I've fellen in love with them so much, I ordered a set of nut drivers also. That is where part of my MX3-S money went to :( Oh well, I'm a sucker for tools lol

Revo Rnacher said:
You get what you pay for

No truer words have been spoken refering to tool!

I learned this the hard way striping out bolts or busting knuckles because of a cheap rachet braking on me :(

PS those Ofna tools look cool...can you swap shanks ( for lack of better word lol) if they get stripped out? It kinda looks that way but wasn't sure.

Ray

Last edited:
Ray, OFNA has a set that has one handle and various sized nut drivers and a few others tips in one set (part# 10823). It is a good pit tool, and also good for the home workbench for R/C.

BTW, OFNA tips are all marked, as well as many of their handle sets.

Oh hell ya, I may need a set of those ;)

I'm not much on racing but that would save space in the tool box I'm sure. I'll use the other tools for the bench...which I may add is being built as we speak :banana:

Ray

Hudy is like the Snap-On of RC. You really will be hard pressed to find tools in stores such as Sears, Lowes, etc or your local Mac or Snap-On guy in the sizes we use (mostly hex head stuff). As far as sockets and such they can be had from the above mentioned and the Snap-On sockets are much thinner than Craftsman.

jetmechG550 said:
As far as sockets and such they can be had from the above mentioned and the Snap-On sockets are much thinner than Craftsman.

OMG Snap-On's are expensive, I mean, I knew they were expensive but holy crap

Set, General Service Starter, Metric, 6-Point (17 pcs.)

Stock#: 117TMM
$226.60 :OMG:

I got a 256 piece mechanics set from craftsmans/sears for $199 with the laser engraved sockets. I'll take those anyday over snap-on unless I win the lotto.

Ahhh it burns the eyes to look at those prices

Set, Socket, Metric, Impact, Deep, Laser Marked, 6-Point (15 pcs.) (10 to 24 mm)

Stock#: 315SIMMYLM
$310.60
I got a 23 piece deepwell Ingersoll Rand set of impact sockets for $40 and I bitched about that.

Last edited:
I use the Dynamite sets and get about 3-4 years out of them. The cool part is you can order in just the tips for about half the price.

One thing that has been brought up before and should be brought up again. It's not just the quality of the driver/tip that matters but also the quality of the screw. I've found that stainless steel screws (at least the ones I've used from ebay, rcscrews etc.) tend to wear out the tips because they are sloppily manufactured. The fit between the screw and tip should be tight and not have any play. I've worn down a hudy tip fast because I used bad screws. On the other hand the 10 and 12.9 black alloy screws I have purchased from hexcrews and mcmasters have a nice tight fit.

Yeah, I plan on getting a set of screws from Tony.

SumoDethRat said:
OMG Snap-On's are expensive, I mean, I knew they were expensive but holy crap

Set, General Service Starter, Metric, 6-Point (17 pcs.)

Stock#: 117TMM
$226.60 :OMG:

I got a 256 piece mechanics set from craftsmans/sears for $199 with the laser engraved sockets. I'll take those anyday over snap-on unless I win the lotto.

Ahhh it burns the eyes to look at those prices

Set, Socket, Metric, Impact, Deep, Laser Marked, 6-Point (15 pcs.) (10 to 24 mm)

Stock#: 315SIMMYLM
$310.60
I got a 23 piece deepwell Ingersoll Rand set of impact sockets for $40 and I bitched about that.

I make my living with tools, though moreso lately it's been the laptop. Anyway not trying to sound arrogant but as a professional tech, I won't even consider Craftsman. I've got one set of Craftsman wrenches at work in my toolbox but I bought them cause they are made by another manufacturer for Craftsman. You wouldn't beleive how many people who thought they could just go to Sears and buy what's on sale would come and ask me or the other guys with SO or Mac's to borrow the same tool they had in their box. Again, I'm not putting down Craftsman, or trying to sound all high and mighty, I have Craftsmans at home, I was just trying to use the comparison for high quality tools. And yes Sweet I fully agree with you! Those kits are such a rip-off, IMO. You can order all those screws from McMaster-Carr which are excellent quality BTW and have enough for 10 kits for not much more $$$ than the price of 1 kit.

man all this talk about screwing w/ hexes...you guys need to respect the stupidnatural more.....
Nubster, I think you can use pretty much ANY of the hobby grade drivers and be better off than the sears or any other brand stuff....the HUDY set is real nice.....I have a few of the nice Hudy tools for the bench and I use an Integy set for my box......the AE, OFNA, Dynamite, Integy, Hudy Profit and all them would make you feel a lot better about working on your rigs.....

Back