just got my first crawler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welchdennis63

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
first off it's a ax10 kit i have a dynamite esc that i never used so i will be throwing that in the along with a futaba fasst system radio. all i really need to know is what is a good cheap motor? can i run a Lathe Motor in this truck? are intgey motors any good? any help would be great i'm looking to pick out a motor in the morning when the lsh opens thanks for reading

intgey motors are great and the kind most people run in their crawlers.

Congrats on the new crawler!

I'm running the Reedy 55t motor in mine. Integy's other products are usually of poor quality. I tend to avoid Integy products whenever possible.

Most of Integy's stuff suck but their motors are the most popular crawler/scaler motors, can't beat their durability for the price. A 45t with maybe a 12 or 11t pinion will get ya pretty good torque and some wheel speed, then when you can afford it step up to a sidewinder or mamba esc or even tekin and run 3s.

way to slow. stick with a 35,45, or 55t.

I started out with a Integy 55T Lathe motor when I started with the Axial. I went up to a Cobalt 7T but it won't fit my current comp rig so I bought a Novak 55T for it. On the same ESC and battery setup the Novak is noticeably better, giving more torque and better power than the Integy ever did. It was worth the extra for the Novak IMHO, your mileage may vary tho.

That said, there's some slack in that advice in that my comp rig I have now is about 10x better than the rig I had to start with (an AX-10 kit like yours), it has a metal gearbox lubed with gear jelly, and axles lubed with gear jelly, and it's running on larger stickier tyres. That might also have helped. Maybe. Just a little :)

I run a 45T integy lathe motor and it works great on my comp rig with the stock 87/14 gearing, great wheel speed and torque, the 35T and 55T are also going to be good choices as well. Definitely the best bang for your buck IMO...

The first thing i would upgrade is your ESC. Get something with a strong drag brake, so you dont freewheel roll at all. Second, relocate your battery to the front axle. If possible get a split pack, or make your own, instead of a stick. Something to straddle your servo on front axle.

Back