Just Curious

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearthis7208

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was given a nitro plane that is in need of repairs... it has a K&B .45 Engine and it is locked up so I need to find another engine. The Wing span is 5' but it needs repair what can I repair it with? I will try tomorrow to post some pictures on here and see if I got a good deal....lol

There is no name or any markings on the plane so maybe someone can tell me what kind it is and maybe how old it is.

Attachments

• P2040340.JPG
    P2040340.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 109
  • P2040344.JPG
    P2040344.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Gonna need more info. As far as the engine goes, just replace it with a similar displacement engine and that should be fine.
As far as the repairs go, it depends on where the damage is. What the damage is. Airframe material. Covering material. So pics will be needed.

can you not soak the engine in some gasoline to unlock it? its what my grandfather does with his rc plane engines, he used to be so into the stuff..

I was gonna' suggest that. Lacquer thinner also works faster than gasoline. Remove the carb, take out the screws and soak that also. Once it's loosened up, check the bearings, and replace any seals on the carb and backplate. Shoot it up with some WD-40 and some After Run Oil. I'm willing to bet it will run fine.
Disassemble it before soaking it. Don't just drop the engine in a can.

my grandfather's engines were so locked up he couldnt disasemble them before dropping them in the can..they aren't stuck anymore, thats for sure.

If the wing needs repair, then it'll most likely need monokote among other things. Other than just, CA glue and balsa wood if you need to do any wood repairs.

I can not figure out how to resize my images they are too big for me to post on here...If you need to see pics of it then give me your email and I will send them that way.

Attachments

• P2040335.JPG
    P2040335.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 111
  • P2040336.JPG
    P2040336.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 119
  • P2040337.JPG
    P2040337.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 96
  • P2040338.JPG
    P2040338.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 106
  • P2040339.JPG
    P2040339.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Just open up MS paint and change the size. Click image>resize and change the percentage.

Think it is this? https://www.balsastore.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=434
Looks like they have used gold-n-rod instead of push rods for the elevator and rudder. Thus the "tabs" on the rear of the fuselage.

They are a pretty good flier. Slow enough to train on but capable of some aerobatics.

Looks like all it needs is a patch on the wing? If you can't find the same color, just iron a stripe on both sides?

Last edited:
where can I but the patches for it? I am not sure that the local hobby shop carries things like that but I will call today and find out. I am also going to probablly have to buy a remote for it aswell because there is no charger for it. and some of the buttons are sticking on it.

That radio might not every be legal anyways, it was somewhere around 1992 where the fcc changed the frequency r/c radios use, and anything before that time was deemed illegal to use.

I wonder what size motor would be a good replacement? .40 .45 .50? It has a .45 now I dont want to go too small but dont want to go too big either.

I was thinking my buddy had a .40 in his.
You should be OK with any that you listed.

I got to looking at the remote and it is a AM I think that is what someone told me when I was looking at one on flea bay they said I had a AM Reciever, All I know is I think it is operating on channel 52, I am going to have to get a new remote and crystal I know for sure. I dont have a clue if the part in the plane for the crystal is the same for am/fm or not? Or will I need a new one of those also? Something is telling me I am fixin to spend alot of money.

Agreed...Trash the Rx and Tx. EVERYTHING depends on it. Other than that, it's a .40 sized trainer.
Your LHS should also have trim strips. Vinyl strips about 6" wide and 2 ft. long. Sticky back. Just cut out between the ribs what's torn, and stick on a slightly larger patch in a nice color or pattern. Do it on both wings, and it will look great.

Make sure you balance it when you get finished too.

You are going to end up replacing all the gear. Engine, servos, battery...
You are just starting with an airframe bro. Do yourself a favor and trash everything else.
Transmitter looks like mid '70's? No way to upgrade that. Engine locked up.

Not dissing you in any way.

Somebody gave you a plane. The plane should fly great. It's old, but they still make it. I would fix it and fly it, won't take much.

One more thing.
It's a .40 size aircraft, right?
Do a search on what is available in that size.
That is a great trainer. When you get bored with it or total it, more than likely the radio and engine will go in another.
I have an engine that has been in 5 aircraft. A radio that has been in 4.
They still work.

I also second Digger's choice on the Sky Sport. Right now, the 4 channel version is all you need, but down the road you might want to go advanced, and you won't have to upgrade the radio if you already have the 6 channel.
Keep us posted, and we'll keep advising you with each step.

Wow, not to long ago I was given a bag of stuff (Servos, radio, battery, plane engine, and other things) and the radio is the same one in that pic.

I didn't think I would ever see another of the same radios being as old as it it is.

I have often thought about getting into flying with a glider, but I haven't taken the leap.
Hope you have fun with your plane!

Back