Joining the ranks of the Revo club

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey Guys,
As many of you know, I've been wanting to get a Revo for some time because I believe that the suspension setup is ideal for the way I want to dial in monster truck for Racing and some bashing, but mostly racing on my home track. I was getting ready to do a brushless conversion on my Savage, and I decided that the Revo was much better suited for the track, which is where I will primarily be running. A fellow member got a good deal on a complete RTR setup on a Savage X SS, just past break in, and I got what I wanted for it and am getting a Revo. I'm going to run nitro for a lil while and get used to it, and use it to take measurements. Since I have access to a complete machine shop with lathes and CNC machine, I might make my first foreray into custom RC fab with a brushless conversion, homebuilt from scratch. So I will use this Revo to take measurements, test fit pieces, things like that. I think I will be keeping the nitro and buying an E-Revo when they come out.

I bought a 2.5R revo that is brand new, never been driven. The guy bought it and started modding it and then never broke it in, decided he wanted something else. I was wanting to get a 3.3, but I really wanted to get an OS engine. This revo has a brand new OS 18 engine that has never been broken in. Basically, a guy did like Rolex, only on a much smaller scale, and then decided he didn't want an RC as bad as he thought he did. I picked it up for a song.

Could you guys reccomend some of the first modifications that I need to perform to get this thing fairly durable. Should I go ahead and get a starter box? I want something fairly easy to use, and I've never had a starter box so I need some guidance here. I will order the RPM A-Arms tonight, and I think I'm going to go with a 3.3 chassis as well for the length and added stability.

i brand you OS 18.....you lucky BASTARD!!!!! anyways congrats on the new revo, and welcome to the club

I'm only stating what works for me. i just got myself a new 3.3 engine with the heat sink head from the guys over at American machining. the track i take it to is short, with a decent amount of turns and jumps. i had a few guys out there that let me try there 3.3s with the extended chassis, I DON'T LIKE IT. i don't know where you race at but the smaller 2.5R chassis might do you some good.

but anyways the choice is yours I'm just stating what works for me. I'm glad you finally got a revo and seems like you struck gold with the one you got

brand new OS 18....i hate you =]

check out my after market parts list in here most of the good revo mods.

Congrats Charlie.Steering servo and aluminum arm should be first.Well mabey after tires.Also the Steve Slayden steering mods.The extended chassis would be great for stability so why not go carbon fiber with the aluminum skeleton underneath from vantage .Hard anodized variable rate platinum shocks.Orange front and gold rear springs a good place to start.Oh tea the wing works great for a wheelie bar until you get the center diff and rear brake kit.Racing body and your good to go for a while.Keep a lot of header pipes on hand or get the new spring mounted Platinum pipe.Sway bars can help.

Or

You can get Platinum for $650.00 and save $650.00 on hop ups.Yea I know its not as much fun but I took mine out of the box,broke in the engine,and hit the track.I still like driving better than wrenching But the gap is closing.

Good luck ,sounds like ya got a great deal.I have learned a lot about Revos the past few months so if I can help you with anything feel free to ask.

I'm sure I'll have some questions pretty soon. I'm getting ready to order the brushless tekno conversion kit. I'm trying to decide if I should run the os 18 for a lil while or sell it brand new while I can still get something for it. I don't think I'm going to be able to resist running it though. The carbon fiber is definitely on the way.

I think the Revo is a great candidate for an electric conversion although without the noise and fumes it just seems to lack something.I think the electrics will out perform the nitros with the new technology but the WOW factor is not there for me.Logic says electric is the way to go but my soul needs to burn nitro.

Here's what its got so far. It's brand new, but this stuff has already been installed, the truck just hasn't been run yet.

OS 18 TM
FOC tranny
aluminum skid plates
aluminum body mounts
red aluminum pushrods
works clutch bell and spur gear

I just bought a set of proline wabash 40 series wheels (17mm) with panther python tires.

I think the Revo is a great candidate for an electric conversion although without the noise and fumes it just seems to lack something.I think the electrics will out perform the nitros with the new technology but the WOW factor is not there for me.Logic says electric is the way to go but my soul needs to burn nitro.

I had the same discussion with my friend with cars like 50 years when there all electric even if there fast its just not the same

Those electic buggers sneak up on you when marshalling too.Then you think its flamed out and throw it off the track just to watch it almost silently drive away.I have not done it yet but I have seen it happen more than once already.We race nitro and electric together.

Yea most club tracks are running the nitro with the brushless in the monster truck class. Keep in mind, I've got a baja 5b SS with a 26 CC 2 stroke engine, so I have about 22.7 more CC's of wow in the baja when I just want brute force power, fumes and noise. I always said that I would never give up my nitro cuz electric seemed too "wimpy". But once I got a brushless system and saw the power and the power to weight ratio, that's all it took.

When you get the rpm a-arms you might want to get the rpm axle carriers as well. One more week point cover. Once the a-arms are strong those will probably become your weak point.

Alright, should I get the extended wheel base A-Arms? I'm going to be running on a track thats got long straights wide wide turns.

Congrats on getting a Revo, sounds like a sweet deal!

This is just my opinion... Scarp the 40's and pick up a set of proline 17mm dish wheels and panther Boa's, my Revo felt great with those tires and wheels. IMO the 40's are too big and bulky on the Revo, with standard size tires it makes it feel light on it's feet.

Give the 2.5 chassis a try before switching. IMO the 2.5 handles good and the truck is more fun with the short chassis.

Single servo steering, this should be done first! Buy an aluminum steering arm, HD servo spring, and a nice servo, the difference is very noticeable.

I know you don't mind the noise so take a look at the Trinity pipe and header, another Big difference. Many people say the resonator is better but it doesn't produce like the Trinity!

I'm guessing the engine is the .18TM? In our climate that thing makes great power around 235 degrees, at least thats the way all of mine did.

If you have trouble with anything, let me know.

I was about to PM you and let you know about it, my lil cajun friend. I'm not crazy about the 40s, in my opinion they look too big on the revo, but I placed a stupid low bid on the on ebay and got an email that I won them. It is the 18 TM. I don't think I'm going to do the ehaust until I decide if I'm going to go brushless with this one, or keep it nitro and do a NTB conversion on another one. I think it would be nice to have one of each tuned to run close together for the track here at home. It would definitely make for some good racing.

If your going to have one nitro and one electric, I would keep this one nitro and just get the E-Revo.

Either way, look into the single steering, you won't regret it!

Get the extended rear arms, they add a lot of stability in the rough sections. Pick up some aluminum carriers. I broke the RPM carriers in about 5 minutes!
ST racing makes a nice set that is affordable with bigger bearings. I run the Golden Horizon al. carriers. They have held up nicely but the standard size wheel bearings don't.
I am trying titanium pivot balls next as I have broken my traxxas hard annos and stock steel pivot balls too easily. I'll let you guys know if the Ti. holds up better.
My 3.3 has been really tough otherwise.

I really like the GH stuff, but if ST racing is A LOT cheaper, then I might go with those.

If your going to have one nitro and one electric, I would keep this one nitro and just get the E-Revo.

Either way, look into the single steering, you won't regret it!

I'm thinking that is exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to get the Novak HV Maxx brushless setup for my E-Maxx, and when I get the E-Revo hopefully the mamba monster system will be out. If it's not out yet, I'll just use the hv maxx setup until they release the monster motors. They're about to release the ESC next week but you'll have to buy a neu motor until they get the mamba monster motors built. I haven't seen a date on them yet, or a date on the E-Revo for that matter.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

nice rig man!

as far as upgrades, most have been stated before.

single servo steering w/ aluminum steering link
foc
rpm front arms
tekno ext rears arms
tekno rx/fuel tank kit
tekno wing mount
reg size response tires on hurricane wheels. (the lightest combo i have found)
and i would advise a side pipe for racing.

the lighter the truck, the tougher it will be. mine has been worked over with hollow pillow balls, ti pivots, and hollow pushrods as well as some other things. it handles great, and it extremely durable.

I think I'm going to go with a lot of tekno and vantage stuff, since I'm going to be doing the brushless conversion.

All of my Tekno stuff has held up nicely and fit perfect. I have the tank/radio box mod waiting on me at home for when I get off work.
Hey Beason, do the Ti. pivot balls hold up better than the Traxxas hard anno. al. ones?

Back