Is 12s just to much for the Traxxas Xrt?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicJames

RCTalk Racer
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I've put a 12s system in my XRT and have tried both belt drive and 1.5 mod gears. Yet I can't keep my grub screws from rounding out on the motor drive shaft. It seems to be just to much for them to handle. The only other option that comes to mind is drilling through the drive shaft and using a post like the transmission shaft. Any thoughts?

My Xmaxx does the same thing, no matter what I do my pinion slips.
What I did and it works, is put piece of shrink tube on the shaft first, then your pinion and then another piece of shrink tube.
When the grub screw loosens up, my pinion stays in place and doesn't ruin my run time.

Depending on what motor your using, you could switch to a d bore pinion gear, like arrma factory stuff. Won't slip.

I drilled a small divit in the motor shaft where the grub screw contacts to alleviate slippage on round bore pinions.

In reference to your thread title, yes, 12 s is too much for that platform. I like overkill though so why not.

Yea like overkill why not..

As tntpoof mentioned, there are set screws, then there are quality set screws. McMaster and Fastenal is what we used in the machining industry. You can easily tell a difference in their Grade 8 fasteners vs other brands.

Depending on what motor your using, you could switch to a d bore pinion gear, like arrma factory stuff. Won't slip.

I drilled a small divit in the motor shaft where the grub screw contacts to alleviate slippage on round bore pinions.

In reference to your thread title, yes, 12 s is too much for that platform. I like overkill though so why not.
I've used the D-bore pinions. They fit snug when you get them on. Also drilling a small divot on the motor shaft to keep the grub screw locked into works great.

This is what I would try if I was having trouble. D-bore pinion and small divot

there are many ways to fix this issue,here is yet another.I've moved to this type back in early 90's

1715790962297.png

Chart

IMG_1696.png

IMG_1697.png

In the mine we have to use High torque guns to be able to get anywhere from 5-12,000 foot pounds of torque

I have fought the pinion battle with my stock Xmaxx several times, basically whenever I have to remove and reinstall the pinion..it's super frustrating for sure. Even had a Tekno pinion loosen up with the oversized grub.. I don't know if power has anything to to with it or not. But yeah, I think 12s is way overkill for a plastic rc. I enjoy the Xmaxx and would love to have an XRT as well, but I can't see a need for more than 8s myself. If ya like it, then that's what it needs, no argument from me. I assume you're running an 8mm shaft motor, IDK any brands outside of Saga or Vitavon that make 8mm pinions myself. I'd grab a serrated 12.9 grub to try first before you modify the motor shaft. If that doesn't do it, then maybe a pointed grub and putting a dimple in the motor shaft with a quality drill bit.. good luck brother!!

I've put a 12s system in my XRT and have tried both belt drive and 1.5 mod gears. Yet I can't keep my grub screws from rounding out on the motor drive shaft. It seems to be just to much for them to handle. The only other option that comes to mind is drilling through the drive shaft and using a post like the transmission shaft. Any thoughts?
Thnx for all the tips! I've tried the dimple on the shaft and haven't come across any 1.5 mod d-bore 8mm pinion gears. But it's been a bit since I last looked. I'll run another search online see if my luck has changed. I definitely will get some better grade grub screws. I knew it was crazy at the start but I'm to far invested to stop now lol! From the little bit I've ran it before it does slip which isn't more then a quarter throttle short pass. I gotta admit.... It's a little intimidating. Can't imagine ever being able to run it flat out.

I think @Moirae runs 12s on a XRT and Xmaxx? Maybe they have some insight that could help you.

I think @Moirae runs 12s on a XRT and Xmaxx? Maybe they have some insight that could help you.
Was going to say there are folks doing it for sure. Something weird about the TRX 8s rigs though, I have a dozen different brands of rc's, including a K8S and several other TRX rigs, only one that's given me pinion grief being the 8s Xmaxx... some kinda voodoo, LOL.

Back