Inherited a 92 Dodge Dakota

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I know if they're both installed the same way, there is most likely no comparison, but I'd be willing to be you could make a $200 pair of speakers sound much better than a $5000 pair if you put a little extra effort into it. Find a more suitable area(you know, more than 3" from the floor of the vehicle) to mount them, and you'll have already made it sound 200% better.

Sure would like to have some of those Focals though. Never heard of them until this thread - did a little reading; they sure do look awesome.

Well, I know if they're both installed the same way, there is most likely no comparison, but I'd be willing to be you could make a $200 pair of speakers sound much better than a $5000 pair if you put a little extra effort into it.

you don't know how wrong you are. The difference in the $200 speakers, and the focal's I had are the difference in a Mechanical record player and a Dolby 7.1 system. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

I agree with Alpine on this. You get what you pay for, but I also know that there is a point of diminishing returns on an investment. If you're not doing competition, I don't think it's worth the extra money. For normal listening while driving a set of $200 speakers might be the way to go. Another thought is to get something less expensive for now and upgrade as you can afford it.

you don't know how wrong you are. The difference in the $200 speakers, and the focal's I had are the difference in a Mechanical record player and a Dolby 7.1 system. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Pretentious, much?

I doubt the difference can be discerned while driving at 70mph down the highway in a 19 year old truck - at least not a difference worth $4,800, in my opinion. However, if you just want to brag about how much money you spent on your system, have at it. I'll stick with my P.O.S. kenwood gear. :\

Last edited:
Oh no deff not 5 g's lol I was just thinking the 700 pair and a 1 10in jl audio sub with digital amp and some kinda of ipod deck, was thinking to keep it around 1500 bucks, if you have idea's or sujutions on brand or such I'm all ears but not spending 5 g's on 4 focals lol.

My buddy spent 700 on 2 front focal speakers and he did a jl audio sub with amp and ipod deck and keep it under 2,000 and sounds amazing.

Pretentious, much?

I doubt the difference can be discerned while driving at 70mph down the highway in a 19 year old truck - at least not a difference worth $4,800, in my opinion. However, if you just want to brag about how much money you spent on your system, have at it. I'll stick with my P.O.S. kenwood gear. :\

Actully princess I didn't pay for them at all my sponsors paid for all of my equipment. And at 70 mph with the radio turned up in an old truck you will start getting distortion in the $200 set of speakers. Unless you have a tuned ear it probably wouldnt bother you, nor would you even notice it at all. But in a side by side comparison, you would be blown away. With a nice set of components such as the focals, instead of hearing one note played on a guitar, you can actually hear the pick ticking off of the strings, and hear each string vibrating individually. It's THAT much of a difference. Your just talking out of your ass now because as stated before, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Really, I get you. I understand. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, as I don't have the means to get the equipment, but I do have some nice headphones and a nice amp for them, and definitely enjoy hearing YoYo Ma breathing while playing cello. I just don't find it happening in most vehicles without a large amount of work to assure a good installation. You really need to know what you're doing to get the benefit of those speakers, that's all I'm trying to say.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, or talk out of my ass...it just happens sometimes. Princess. :)

I might get some crap for this but I'm a fan of mtx. But I worked there for 5 years as a cnc operator. I had 3 10s in my civic with 6 1/2s in the front doors and kick panals. I've been out of the car audio scene for 5 years so much has changed.

Pretentious, much?

This is you personally calling me out. So yea. You were looking to pick a fight.

---------- Post added at 8:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:39 PM ----------

I might get some crap for this but I'm a fan of mtx. But I worked there for 5 years as a cnc operator. I had 3 10s in my civic with 6 1/2s in the front doors and kick panals. I've been out of the car audio scene for 5 years so much has changed.

MTX has come a long way. They came out with the "jackhammer" as a gimmick to get their label out there, and it worked. The old school Thunder 8500 (i believe) were some pretty nice hitting woofers, Never really tried any of their components.

Alpine, his last post was quite even keeled. I thought it was obvious he was trying to keep things things calm. I thought you coulda just dropped it. Just my opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX

Last edited:
Did it work?

Yep man it looks clean. For some reason I've always lime the square body style.

Thanks!

I just ordered 9004 BI-XENON HID Kit - 100.00 bucks

Color : 12,000k
Ballast : Slim Ballast $28.99
Relay : $14.99
Canceller : $19.99

Back