Inherited a 92 Dodge Dakota

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duramax47

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well sad to say that my grategrandfather has passed. I was really suprised to hear that i was in his will, just not something I expected. He willed me his 1992 dodge dakota with a 5.2 liter magnum, I think its a supercab as well not sure what dodge call's their extended cabs. I'm amazed it only has 46,xxx miles and looks brand new, Drove it home from california aand went to his funral. That beeing the reason i have not been on is a little while. Once i get the camera from my mom i will wash it and do a walk around video of it for every one to see this amazingly great shape truck.

When I last saa my grate grandfather last, we had talked about some things he and I wanted to do to the truck. He was big into sema and customizing cars and trucks. He wanted to put a turbo kit on the truck to help out with gas miledge, and driving it home I see why, only gets about 12 to 14 miles a gallon. And also to give it some real power. But the cool thing is in the will he said he wants me to have the truck and if money alow's some day do the build that he and i talked about.

All we wanted to do was a turbo kit, exaust, suspension lift, and wheels and tire's. And posibly some tint. Now for kicks when i got home early morning yesterday I stated doing some research and i can't find a suspension lift or a turbo kit for that old of a truck. Not to worried yet because I'm just checking things out wasn't sure if any one knew of a manufature who makes this stuf for this old of a truck.

Any ways hope to have a video for every one this weekend if time allows.

moe here in wichita ks. have been driving chryslers/ dodges since 1965. i have a 2001 dakota. i can't work on street trucks any more my body wont let me. i have owned about 35 chryslers in my life. just be careful working on the truck.

Moe, what excaly do you mean by be careful working on the truck? Is their something i should know or any thing specific that your talking about?

I kind of have the same story with my truck. It was my father inlaws baby 98 dodge ram fully loaded. I always told him that he had a nice truck and we talked about what to do to it. His health was getting bad and he called me over and said I could have it for half the value. The first thing I did was run dual cat back on it and he was proud. Take care of it and enjoy the memories. Chrysler can be weird sometimes compares to GM but I love mine.

Try Squires Turbo Systems (STS) they have a universal cat-back muffler replacement turbo setup.

I have a 99 dodge ram nice and easy to work on i like it alot. Theres so much space in the engine bay i can sit inside it and work on the engine lolz have fun with your truck.

Hamz, thanks with it being universal that would mean i can get it to fit that truck correct? And with doing a set up like that is their any computer programming that has to be done since it is fuel injected?

I'm new to all this gas stuff so i dont have a clue.

I like the twin turbo universal system they have is this something that could be done? And have you ever used their turbo set ups?

Last edited:
by be carful,. i mean if you jack it up DO NOT use ramps. use a good floor jack and jack stands. then bounce the truck to be sure its soild. if you are not sure how to do something read up on it.

Hamz, thanks with it being universal that would mean i can get it to fit that truck correct? And with doing a set up like that is their any computer programming that has to be done since it is fuel injected?

I'm new to all this gas stuff so i dont have a clue.

I like the twin turbo universal system they have is this something that could be done? And have you ever used their turbo set ups?

A single turbo would be more than enough to wake up a stock engine. It would probably only hold about 7 or 8 psi reliably, if you're lucky. Any forced induction setup would require some kind of piggyback ecu to compensate for the new found boost. Depending on how much boost you would need injectors, a fuel pump, plugs, radiator, exhaust, a boost/vac guage, a/f guage and all kinds of other stuff.
If you really wanna turn up the wick you'll need the whole lower end of the engine built.
I would honor my grandfather by just keeping it as a good running truck.

It will require a reprogramming of the ECU. The turbo kit can be made to fit just about any vehicle. This kit mounts in place of the muffler, so it doesn't heat up the engine compartment nearly as much as a standard set up.

Rolex, its all stock but clean nothing fancy....yet anyways.

If doing a turbo is going to require all that then its a ways off. Right now I'm just thinking of doing wheels tires, tint, maybe some qaulity sounds ( nothing like what other kids so like stupid subs and S$*%) I'm thinking to high end focal speaker's some kind of high qaulity deck with ipod hook up maybe alpine and a amp with 1 10in sub thats more then enough for that little truck.

When i get the pics up you will see a topper, I'm not much fan of topper's so its coming of and the bed will get line-x

As far as motor work I'm really scared and its not ganna happen any time soon, even though a turbo sounds awsome and i like the gas miledge idea but oh well.

Look at an Infinity Bass Link for the sub. It's a 10 in. sub and a 10 in. passive radiator with a built in amp in a small enclosure. Nice sound and it fits under the jump-seat in my extended cab F-150. Alpine makes some good head units and a nifty little 50-watt RMS per channel 4-channel amp they call the "Power Pack." it fits inline between the Head unit and the vehicle's wiring harness. It sounds great and it isn't over-the-top and works really well with Alpine head units. The amp is about the size of a paperback so it can go in your dash. I run what I listed in my truck and it sounds great with Alpine's 6X8 3-way speakers.

For good subs that aren't over the top look into the kicker or pioneer slimline subs. I have 2 kicker cvt 10s pushed by a kicker 500x2 amp that sound great, and don't rattle my teeth out of my head. The only real nice focal door speakers start around $700 per pair.

Yeah now to worried about the price of the sound because i want qaulity. Deff focal speaker's, I'm thinking a jl audio sub and digital amp i think thats what it is.

Having trouble uploading my video to youtube, any one know why its about 259.85m, so about 4 min long. I have try'd alot and they keep failing for some reason any one help?

Unless you're going for competition level audio, you can get great quality speakers for WAY less than $700 per pair.

Yeah i think i should listen to your guy's idea's, its just my freind has focals in his truck and its unreal!

You wouldnt have any idea's as to why i can't upload the video do you? I want to show you guys the truck.

I used to have vocals in my comp truck. $5,000 for four pair, not including power for em.

Back