Finally got my brother out

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedomflyer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
Was able to get out today for a couple of hours with my brother. First time he's actually rock crawled with his Redcat scout. He did some upgrades to it. Fusion 2300kv brushless motor, Proline Hyrax G8 tires, 3D printed inserts, and went from a 17 tooth pinion gear to a 13 tooth. What an unbelievable difference it made on his Redcat Scouts performance. Was like an entirely different truck. We crawled on some snow piled up in the play ground and parking lot of the local grade school last spring. Not the same as what we drove today, but the thing was absolutely amazing. Totally different truck, It's not a traxxas but certainly performed extremely well. Actually has more clearance and better suspension travel than my defender. Had he had more brass in the front I think it would've done better yet. I think he was disappointed and discouraged last spring when we were driving, it took a lot of talk and convincing to get him to upgrade to the Fusion, I bought him the tires and inserts for his Birthday. It was really enjoyable to watch him drive today and have some success, I think he is totally hooked. He ordered one of the Element Ecto crawlers and a set of Hyrax G8 tires and inserts already, I think there is another Fusion 2300kv brushless motor coming as well. It looks like a cool little truck, we'll see how it performs, there may be one in my future, I like the look of it. Was pretty challenging conditions today, my buddy still has a fair amount of snow on his course. The parts in the shade were very icy, parts in the sun were wet and slick, add in a bit of mud and was quite a challenge. My buddy's 4 runner is about ½ the weight of my Defender so he was gettting hrough the snow somewhat easier, I was just sinking and packing it down. I guess that's what almost 13 lbs. does, but it really performs well with all of the brass I added. Was a great day and as always, never enough time out.

20240309_123929.jpg

20240309_124622.jpg

20240309_131200.jpg

20240309_134417.jpg

20240309_141420.jpg

20240309_132744.jpg

Screenshot_20240309_154617_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240309_160006_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I think the element will be the one to spark this fire
I hope so

Glad you got him to come out and glad he enjoyed it. Looks fun! :)
Was such a fun time, I have to laugh at myself, and him, acting like a couple of little kids while driving. Kind of silly getting so excited when we accomplish an obstacle, pretty crazy at 60 and 74. Wish I would have discovered this years ago.

That Scout looks badass! Good on you for keeping him interested. I have an Element Gatekeeper and love the way it performs.
Gatekeeper looks pretty cool, looks like they don't make it any more?

Last edited:
I hope so

Was such a fun time, I have to laugh at myself, and him, acting like a couple of little kids while driving. Kind of silly getting so excited when we accomplish an obstacle, pretty crazy at 60 and 74. Wish I would have discovered this years ago.

Gatekeeper looks pretty cool, looks like they don't make it any more?
Just got it in the fall.

Just got it in the fall.
Yep, discontinued!

That's good stuff! 2 grown brothers having a blast playing with toys again. I'm sure it brings back wonderful mrmories of simpler times, and now it's wonderful memories made.

I understand 100% I'm 60 and having a blast with my rc's, to many people take it seriously, and forget how to have fun.

I understand 100% I'm 60 and having a blast with my rc's, to many people take it seriously, and forget how to have fun.
I'm having more fun just building, crawling, sailing and beach bashing than I had in the years of multi- scale racing. I'm "seasoned" now, 63 and can't take it seriously at all. Just relaxin!

Nice rigs, and course, definitely have some time in it. Looks great and good to here got the bro out also.

Back