i want a truggy too!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eltonmain

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey all, i want a truggy to race at the local club, whats the way to go?
price isnt really a worry because ill just layby it and pay it off.
so what in your opinion is the best one out there, a kit would be nice to build, but RTR is just fine too.

The three main choices seem to be the Kyosho Inferno ST-R, Mugen MBX5T Prospec, and the Jammin CRT. Find out what your LHS supports, its nice to be able to get parts right away. If you don't have an LHS like me, take a look at all of them and see which you like the most, any of them are competitive. Keep in mind a kit does not come with an engine/exhaust/radio/servos/tires and the price will easily go over $1,000 to get you going.

If money is not an option, I would say to go with the Kyosho ST-R kit.
This way you can buy the better servos and the engine of your choice.
If money is an option, go with the Kyosho st RTR, or the Hotbodies truggy.
Mugen also makes a great truggy, but Kyosho is my preference.

Good luck, and welcome to the site.

Wow Ac, it was a posting tie.

Truggy $750
Engine $250
Servos $220
pipe $100
Receiver $80
Tires/wheels $80

Have a radio??

I would say $1500 is a better guess for a race quality truggy.

K's are nice, a bit pricey and I know two guys that dumped them for the MBX5T. I know two others outside of myself that jumped from Jammin to the Mugen. A couple others are still running Jammin. The Kyosho's were also having some serious dif gear issues at Silver State and one of the guys I know had the same problem with them. Quite a few are running the LSP gears. If you would decide to go Mugen, you don't need to go with a Prospec. You can get the straight kit for about $400 then just get the ackerman, one piece mount, and the threaded hinge pins.

I agree with AC48.If your LHS has Mugen go with that ,or whichever one of the 3 he mentioned.I have aJammin' and am very happy.

ok.... I will put my 2 cents worth in here...... I run a Jammin...... It is like ford, chevy, or dodge here.... Whatever you like.... buy. All three truggy's listed in the previous posts are very fine rigs. Like AC said though... if you have a hobby shop near by... go with one of the kits they readily stock parts for. There is nothing worse than breaking a part that is a 2 minute fix and having to wait a week or more to get the part in. That being said Ratzo has hit the nail on the head with his price estimates. If you go with a top end kit you can expect to drop the better part of 2 grand give or take depending on the quality of the electronics and mill. RTR's will get you on the track faster and cheaper and gives you the ability to upgrade your ride as your skills and money increase. My neighbor has the Kyosho rig and has had diff problems, and I have had some problems with my outdrive cups wearing prematurely on the Jammin..... point is that most rigs have a problem or two, but they usually are not to bad and easily fixed. Good luck and welcome to the site.

Tom

Tom you know anyone with a new Mugen? I know a couple guys (including myself) that were really happy with the Jammin, drove a Mugen and basically went..."what jammin? oh the one I have for sale? Don't get me wrong, the CRT is an nice rig but the thing is hurting from a serious lack of on-power steering. BTW, if you watch the board I'll have a CRT Pro up for sale soon, I just need to replace a hinge pin that I gave to someone to keep thier day running.

Hey Jet,

I don't know anyone that runs a Mugen, buggy or truggy for that matter. Not becuase there a bad rig or anything, but because I only race localy and my LHS does not carry any Mugen stuff at all. I have not had any severe steering problems.... I do tend to push the nose a bit on entry but I am able to power out of it most of the time. The only fault I can find with my CRT is that the parts quality could be a bit better, but all in all I am satisfied with it. Now again, I am only a lhs racer. The biggest reason I ended up with the CRT was at the time it was the best purpose built Truggy out there, and my LHS stocks the ofna/jammin parts so it made the choice and easy one for me. If it were Mugen parts he stocked then I can pretty much guarantee I would be driving a Mugen. I have way to much money invested (and I use the term lightly LOL) in the CRT now to dump it and for me it gets the job done. So I don't want any of you out there with the Mugen to think I was bashing you... cuz I wasn't... I just don't have any experience with one or have ever actually seen one in person so I can't honestly comment on them that's all. I have heard great things from Mugen though!

P.S. XRC named the CRT the best Truggy in its latest 10 best list!

Sorry Jet... I couldn't resist! :stick:

Jet, Tom was bashing your buggy...he PM'd a whole list of reasons why it sucked....and the number one reason was your driving it....so cram it up your cramhole Lafleur... :D

I love my STR. I have not experienced any diff issues as of yet, but I do have spare ring gears and pinions just in case. If the Mugen was available when I picked-up the STR kit, it would have been a tough choice for me between the 2.

I never really considered the CRT and actually waited for Kyosho to come out with the STR before I plunked down my money for a purpose built truggy. I am not slamming the CRT in any way since it has proven itself. I just didn't like the word OFNA that was attached to it.

Ratz is right on about the cost of a comp level truggy kit. That is about what I spent including support parts and starter box without the tx and rx. I did good deals on fleabay for the kit and ninja mill.

Plaidfish said:
Jet, Tom was bashing your buggy...he PM'd a whole list of reasons why it sucked....and the number one reason was your driving it....so cram it up your cramhole Lafleur... :D

Shhh!!! You were not supposed to tell him that! LOL

He is right though.... Mugen, Sucks, the STR sucks.... Jimmie Johnson sucks.... and lets see..... who else can I offend today... oh yeah.. Yankees Suck, Jets suck, Mets Suck... I think I covered it all....

J/K guys.....

Oh..... chevy, ford, dodge..... all suck!

Tom

I drive an Xray buggy, WTF? LOL Xray no produce a truggy so I have to run a Mugen. Actually Josh Wheeler who runs for Xray was running a Mugen at RC Pro.
Tom didn't take it as a bash at all, I was just referring to my experience coming off the drivers stand after my first round of practice which were my first laps. I had a grin from ear to ear!

I have heard and read some really great things about the Mugen Truggy. I have heard that Mugen really did their homework.

Oh and...... as for X Ray...... they suck! :boxing:

Tom

jetmechG550 said:
Sorry I have this eastern European fetish I can't shake!

LMAO!!

Sorry to :farting: on eltonmain's thread.... I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to give jet a hard time! LOL

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'll get ya back.

Hey elton, what ya stinkin' so far so we can get back on track here?

BTW, I've run the Hot Bodies LSP-Pro, Mugen MSR-X5T, Jammin' CRT Pro, and now the MBX5T. Run the Xray XB8 buggy and used to run a Revo but retired it after round 4 and will be selling it soon.

Jet if Xray does a truggy as well as the buggy they would be the baddest company on the market...I can't believe they aren't a more noticed brand here....Hands down the best rig I own....next year I'll be getting another for racing if I go again...I'm happy just beating on my maxx truggy for now....
anyone hear any rumors of an Xray produced truggy???

I haven't heard any, but I'm a fan of Xray as well, I'd pick up a XB8 truggy if they made one right away.

Not to derail anymore but it's been beat on hard on the Xray forum. if they are doing it they are pretty tight lipped. Josh Wheeler (Xray Team driver) is running a Mugen truggy which leads me to believe they don't even have anything in development. As far as Xray buggies go, they have like next to no following out west either.

It is almost unheard of around here for buggy racers to run XRay,unfortunately.