HW motor lead soldering issue.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Is there any way this can be done better? I received this motor this way, but, the wires aren't even on the motor that well.
IMG_20230517_191155562.jpg

And, the "cups" for the wire are partly cut off, and the one I circled is completely missing.
rcvp1009016_01_8cdeeef7-2a41-439b-9ec1-6ca436da50e3_large~2.jpg

I thought maybe i could replace the plate the "cups" are soldered to, but, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

You may be able to find those terminals somewhere and solder a new one on, but I have never looked for them. I don't even know the technical term for them besides terminals. But that is the worst solder job I have ever seen.

You may be able to find those terminals somewhere and solder a new one on, but I have never looked for them. I don't even know the technical term for them besides terminals. But that is the worst solder job I have ever seen.
I was thinking maybe take the terminals completely off, and solder the wire directly where the terminals are. I just need to find someone that will do it.

I would remove the colored shrink tubing from the male bullets and de-solder the bullets and direct solder each wire to the solder tabs on the motor.

*** UPDATE ***

I see you just ninja'd me... sounds like you know the right thing to do but don't know how to solder.

Try not to get discouraged, soldering is very easy.

Use solder paste and a chisel tip soldering iron that is at least as wide as the wire you are soldering, more info here:

https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/cheap-but-effective-soldering-iron.111/page-2#post-13833

Check out the Hobbywing website. You may be able to get what is called an “end bell “ set.

I would remove the colored shrink tubing from the male bullets and de-solder the bullets and direct solder each wire to the solder tabs on the motor.
The problem with that is that one of the solder tabs is completely cut off, and, there isn't much left of the other two.
Check out the Hobbywing website. You may be able to get what is called an “end bell “ set.
I already looked. That was the first thing I did when I first got that motor. That motor has apparently been discontinued for awhile now, so the only thing I could find were bearings for it.

*** UPDATE ***

I see you just ninja'd me... sounds like you know the right thing to do but don't know how to solder.

Try not to get discouraged, soldering is very easy.

Use solder paste and a chisel tip soldering iron that is at least as wide as the wire you are soldering, more info here:

https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/cheap-but-effective-soldering-iron.111/page-2#post-13833
I'm not steady enough to solder anything. I had a couple car accidents a few years back, one drag racing, and one when I got T-Boned, so I have an issue where my hands shake too much to do anything that precise, unfortunately.
I found these from KO Propo: https://www.kopropo.co.jp/en/products/view/41020 , but can't seem to find anyone that sells them.

Last edited:
I'm not steady enough to solder anything. I had a couple car accidents a few years back, one drag racing, and one when I got T-Boned, so I have an issue where my hands shake too much to do anything that precise, unfortunately.

If you can't find anyone local to help and get desperate, you can ship the motor/esc to me and I'll solder it up for free, just be sure to include a pre-paid return shipping label if you want to go this route. I'm fairly confident that I get it sorted out for you fairly easy.

Back