HPI, Redcat Racing or what?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LosiLST

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I figure if I start saving right now by summer next year I can have a 1/5 gasser. My question is What one to get? My closest Hobby shop is BIG on the gassers and has the HPI Baja, And the Redcat racing ones that are 4WD with enough parts to build one off the wall of each. They also make their own, custom done for about ~1300. Anyone have/seen any of the Redcat ones run? I like the monster truck but it's redcat....

Thanks,
LosiLST

I was asking myself the same question but after viewing several YouTube vids on the Baja SS that's the one I picked. Not only do I get to build it myself, but it's also about as durable as it gets. There's one vid on YT where the guy is driving the Baja OFF A CLIFF. 70 ft high. Just gets up and keeps going :D

yeah, I've had a redcat product before. it wasn't no 1/5 gasser but it was a 1/10 TC that just totally sucked @$$. i would definetly go with the baja B5 SS kit and get your own goodies with it. should last you a lifetime from what I've heard. they have a whole forum just on that. check out the reviews on the baja. its just sick on how much good feedback is left for them. i dont think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about the Baja series.

+1 for the Baja

Then again, Redcat has been very aggressive lately in new models quality & performance and the reviews & evals of the Rampage* have been very good. If they manage to keep it up they could be the next hot thing. Ya never know...

I've been following their new 1/5 with some interest as I'd like to acquire a gasser at some point. A 4WD gasser is certainly appealing.

*edited to put in correct Redcat model name

Last edited:
Plus I have got to see the Redcat stuff all in person as my LHS has it out on display. It looks like a very durable rig and has some uber thick aluminum on the towers and such. Looks to be pretty strong looking and the 4WD is surely appealing.

Redcat Racing has an awesome line of 1/5th scale rc's i recently bought the TT5 buggy and i love it, it took a few modifications to get it where i wanted it but now it sure screams. I love the 4x4 aspect of the buggy and with the smaller dia tires than it's big brother the MT and a little different gearing it sure hooks up nicely and is impressive to see something so big flying around the track. Now comparing it to my Baja...i am torn between the 2 i love my baja but the control you have a WOT is just awesome on the 4x4 but the continuing support of HPI Racing make sit hard to over look.
So give the Rampage a little time to get thier product out there and get some people bashing it and you will see it lined up along with the other great 1/5 scale platforms.

I am also super interested in a Gas rc. I just think it would be awesome to not have to tune, just plug and play, thats how i like it.

I watched and drove a little a redcat mt gasser. I loved how balanced the truck is and how well it jumps and lands. Reminds me of the nitro mt's. I saw it run a full tank and never end up on it's lid. Even while hitting a 6' jump and getting sick air.

Than again I wasn't behind the wheel. /evil laugh

HPI Bro definitlyyyyy a good idea plus iam sure alot of guys will be selling there baja 5b to to get the new 5t so iam sure u can come up on a good deal

Back