Hobby People, Recievers, and more...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakEyez151

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, To start off... I finally broke down and went to Hobby People again! I was down by their shop (which is an hour south from where I live) yesterday, and a coworker and myself decided to swing by. Spend our lunch break pickin up parts.

I had just agreed to trade my XXX NT for his XXX T. We had extras here and there between the trucks, to make it fair and even. All I needed to get for this truck was a reciever, and more battery packs.

So yeah - I go to hobby people. While inside, my buddy picks up the stuff he needs for his revo and his boys RC18. I speak with one of the staff and told him I Had the Airtronics MX-3 controller, 75mhz, and my reciever was in my savage. I need another reciever to control my losi. He hands me a Hitec 03MK, I flip the box around a couple times while speakin with him, didn't notice anything wrong with it - So I picked up an extra battery pack for the truck, and payed my bill.

By the time I open the package, I was 1 1/2 hrs north my house, at my buddies house pickin up the extras, and we were gonna run the trucks. Well, They gave me a 27mhz reciever. There goes that idea.

This morning i wake up, and make that hour drive to exchange my reciever. Great, they dont have 75 mhz... Atleast, not unless I want to get the more expencive DCX. Ok, I bite the bullet - I want this truck running! I overlook the box. This one is for airtronics/JR controllers, and is setup for 75mhz. I realize i have to buy some crystals. I ask the guy for some FM Crystals for the reciever. "We Only have channel 84" "ok thats fine, i'll just swap crystals out @ my controller when I go from truck to truck..." They were airtronics crystals, so I trust that they are quality.

Well, I get home (an hour later), install the reciever, swap crystals out and place them where they need to be. The truck wont run, glitches terribly when i get close to it w/ my transmitter. I look @ hitecs website and read the "You Must use Genuine Hitec Dual Conversion Receiver Crystals with The DCX Receiver". So now, I've spent $50 on this reciever <last was $30, so add $20> - And $30 on crystals... and they dont work.

Ok, so here I am.. with a new reciever, new crystals, and all useless. A new truck which it seems like i'll be robbing my reciever from the savage so I can mess around with it.

Hitech sells the 'Dual conversion crystal" for about $11. I dont know if its 1 or 2, i'm assuming 1. Anybody know if I would need to get just 1 for the reciever, or also one for my tx? Never had to mess with the recievers before, so I'm a bit new to this.

So thats the problem... anybody have a solution?

~ Mike

I'm in So CA alot and don't care for Hobby People. I've been to a fe different ones too and they are all the same. The thing that kills me about So CA and it's not just HP, but why is almost everything behind the counters? Is there that much of a problem with the 5 finger discount program out there?

I think my solution would be to bring the truck with me and not leave the store untill I was sorted out. It will still cost alot but at least you could get it done al at once.

:p

It sounds like your LHS and my LHS needs together and go bowling. My LHS has been out of fuel for almost a month now. How the hell are you out of fuel for a month? The crappy thing is he's the only LHS out of a 100mile radius and 30mins away from me at that. If anyone is head to or around West Texas, I'll take a gallon of 20% :depress:

Ok, you should give them back that Hitec reciever, and crystals. Then, get a Novak XXL reciever off of ebay or some other place for $25 used or $50 new (i got 2 used ones in perfect condition, 2 separate times for $25 shipped). They are my all time favorite recievers. They are small, dont glitch, and they have different types which are compatable with JR, AIR, and FUT. These are all I run now, and I love them. Id give it a try.

The novak XXTra also works with the MX-3 radio. It's what I have in my revo. It's synth, so there isn't a need for crystals. It's about $20 cheaper than the receiver that comes with the MX-3.

SVORay said:
It sounds like your LHS and my LHS needs together and go bowling. My LHS has been out of fuel for almost a month now. How the hell are you out of fuel for a month? The crappy thing is he's the only LHS out of a 100mile radius and 30mins away from me at that. If anyone is head to or around West Texas, I'll take a gallon of 20% :depress:

This is the time that you order cases of fuel with friends, me amigo. $110 pays for a case (4 gallons), hazmat, and shipping out of tower. Ya get four people together, and for $27.50, you're set!

HeartBreak said:
This is the time that you order cases of fuel with friends, me amigo. $110 pays for a case (4 gallons), hazmat, and shipping out of tower. Ya get four people together, and for $27.50, you're set!

I wasn't aware of Hobby selling fuel in large lots like that :ponder2: Hell, if the fuel will set around for a few months, I'll front the whole amount my self ;)

Thanks for the tip :hi:
Ray

Actually, you'd have to go to Tower for that. If memory serves, it's $20 a gallon (x4), $20 for the hazmat, and $10 for the ups ground (has to be shipped ground). I might be off by $10... but it's still a great deal, especially if you got several people to go-in-on a case or two.

The upside is, that if you buy from tower, unless you're in either Nevada or Illinois, you won't have tax.

edit; oh, and I've had fuel that was 5 years old, still burned.

HeartBreak said:
Actually, you'd have to go to Tower for that. If memory serves, it's $20 a gallon (x4), $20 for the hazmat, and $10 for the ups ground (has to be shipped ground). I might be off by $10... but it's still a great deal, especially if you got several people to go-in-on a case or two.

The upside is, that if you buy from tower, unless you're in either Nevada or Illinois, you won't have tax.

edit; oh, and I've had fuel that was 5 years old, still burned.

Ya, I was just checking it out and you pretty much got it right. It's not a bad deal but I wonder if you can get a better deal ordering more than one case:ponder2: Oh well, I'll sleep on it and see about maybe ordering some tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tip
Ray

SVORay said:
Ya, I was just checking it out and you pretty much got it right. It's not a bad deal but I wonder if you can get a better deal ordering more than one case:ponder2: Oh well, I'll sleep on it and see about maybe ordering some tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tip
Ray
You will get a better deal...The hazmat charge Is the same weather you buy 4 gallons or twenty...

Yah, and if you consider that, say, you buy 20 gallons (5 cases) at $80 a pop, you can make $5 a gallon selling the gallons to people at the track, at $25 a pop.

ZANDOR said:
You will get a better deal...The hazmat charge Is the same weather you buy 4 gallons or twenty...

Oh really, my LHS makes a big deal about the hazmat fees and the main reason he's always out of fuel. Anyhow, this may work out since I know a few others having issues getting the fuel they need as well as me.

Thanks
Ray

SVORay said:
Oh really, my LHS makes a big deal about the hazmat fees

He does that so he can rationalize the mark up he puts on it. What does it matter to him. He's apparently selling it all and it isn't like he doesn't make a profit. That's a very poor reason to not have something.

olds97_lss said:
He does that so he can rationalize the mark up he puts on it. What does it matter to him. He's apparently selling it all and it isn't like he doesn't make a profit. That's a very poor reason to not have something.

A few of us wonder about it our selves. Oh well, with me about to order my fuel off the net, there isn't anything else the guy sells that I need. I was only going there for the fuel/GP's since he doesn't stock anything for a Revo.

SVORay said:
Oh really, my LHS makes a big deal about the hazmat fees and the main reason he's always out of fuel. Anyhow, this may work out since I know a few others having issues getting the fuel they need as well as me.

Thanks
Ray

Like I said One shippment One charge!

Yeah... I had (stress the word "had") a place that gouged the life out of me for fuel. $35 a gallon for 20% trinity MHP. This place was an hour away from me. Their parts were also always 20%-30% higher than towers and they would just laugh at me when I brought in a tower print out. It was a hobby town.

I found two other places to buy fuel/plugs from since then though. Now I pay $22 a gallon at either. One is a hobby town the other is a private shop. Both have prices that will match tower if I bring in a printout, but are only a few % more if I don't. Most cases I don't, because the visits are always good.

yeah it seems that the LHS's are all doing this with the fuel now, and saying it's costing them alot of money. This is such crap it's not even funny, My question here is why the hell the hobby distibutors won't sell to non-brick and morter shops as well? I can understand them wanting to keep people from taking business away from the LHS's but this is getting out of hand now. It's enabling the LHS to screw the consumer and forcing us to buy online anyways so what's the point?

Well, I no longer buy from my LHS...not even fuel. I'n not sure if it's his fault or who's fault but I'm tired of going a month without fuel:whip:

Back