Help figuring out an engine problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNSelf

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Would a leaking manifold cause the line pressure to drop so much that the only way an engine would run with any power would be to lean it way out?

The engine did run leaned out but ran too hot and I'm replacing the piston and sleeve. If a piston and sleeve were cooked would the engine still have to be run way too lean to generate any power?

Would an engine running lean like that still blow smoke at WOT? Mine did blow smoke from the pipe and was still way over 290 degrees. What I don't get is that it ran good and strong at probably 300 degrees AFTER it had already cooked the P&S. Why did it even run at all?

Dynamite .12 SPD. I was having a ton of problems getting it tuned, finally got it where I wanted it then that happened :(

when you overheat a motor.. basically you are wearing the piston and sleeve out.. also.. when you run that hot.. you can mess up the block.. warp.. and stuff like that.. basically.. the pinch of the motor is gone.. and the smoke you are getting is blow by.. cuz it just can't burn off the fuel.. which is why you are having to run it leaner.. now.. your motor may not need a new piston and sleeve..

replace the glow plug.. and try it.. if you still got a good pinch.. then you should be ok..

pit a new gasket on the manifold.. and try it.. also.. the Dynamite .12 motor is easily replaced with 70-80 bux for a new one..

Or you could get a better engine, IME. I went with the OS 15 cv-r(x). I ran 6 gallons through that thing and it still performed well in my xxx-nt when I traded it for a messed up maxx.

Back