Hand Starting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Remember that diesel/nitro project I told you all about earlier? Today we got the engines in and we realized that we forgot to buy a starter. How easy is it to hand start a nitro air plane engine?

Provided you have a prop on it, not hard at all. Either by chicken stick or by hand held 12v starter.

We don't have any starting tools, I meant like holding the prop in your hand and slinging it around, or hitting the prop to make it spin.

The engines we got are so small that the most they'd do is give us a bruise. OS .10LA (bushings instead of bearings) As long as it's not at WOT from the start we'll be ok if we even get them started in the first place.

"It's not at WOT is it?"
"No, I don't think so..."
"OK then..." *spin... spin... spin WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*
"HOLYSHI-- Where'd my finger go?!?!?!"

Last edited:
A chicken stick is an easy thing to make. It's basically a 1/2" dowel rod with a piece of tubing to strengthen it. You use it to sling the prop around to prevent damage to your fingers.

The engines should get here today or tomorrow... Can't wait to bolt em to the stand and break em in.

have a starter if ypu want. pm me if interested

Back