GS High-Torque 21 B01?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvec7

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm jus curious as to if anyone runs this engine on the track and how they like it.

I ran my B01 on the track until one of the bearings blew. Apparently, this was a problem on the early B01's which mine was. Anyways, it wasn't the fastest engine on the track but it had plenty of power and a decent high end. Good powerband, easy to control. I was a much better driver with the B01 over my new engine!

The thing is easy as hell to tune. It'll run under almost any needle settings. A few guys at the track drove the buggy with the B01 in it and they thought that the engine was a good runner.

I think it's a fairly underestimated motor. In case you were wondering, it's made by SH Engines.

Ya, I've heard real good things about it mainly. I'm thinkin bout gettin one dirt cheap off ebay, then eventually gettin a more powerful engine.

I've also been considering a FR21, any thoughts on this engine?

i just watched a FR21 run today in a hyper 7. it seemed plenty powerful to me, the guy had lots of top end, with a real strong bottom end to get him over the doubles. even if he waited to nail the gas at the bottom of the first jump. and if the carb is anything like the one on my FR15, its easy as hell to tune and holds that tune very, very well. i like my fantom carb better than my carb on my OS .12 CR-V, the OS is actually more sensitive.

Just note that a lot of times they sell the B01 on ebay with it's carb, you have to buy that seperately. Dunno why they do that.

CorradoPsi said:
i just watched a FR21 run today in a hyper 7. it seemed plenty powerful to me, the guy had lots of top end, with a real strong bottom end to get him over the doubles. even if he waited to nail the gas at the bottom of the first jump. and if the carb is anything like the one on my FR15, its easy as hell to tune and holds that tune very, very well. i like my fantom carb better than my carb on my OS .12 CR-V, the OS is actually more sensitive.

Well gettin over doubles is easy, But can it clear the tripples?

The track I race on has two doubles w/ large gaps inbetween the two jumps, two tripples, and a few small doubles, very sharp windy turns, and one long straightaway which I know the Fantom will love.

Occasionally I see one guy there w/ a FR21 in his MBX-5 and I haven't seen him clear the tripples, I think it's because he seems a little light-fingered compared to the other guys, I hope that next time I see him there, he'll let me drive his MBX-5.

He's also had a problem w/ it too. The piston and sleeve quit after 2 gallons. He has another one in there now, next time I talk to him, I'll ask him how much fuel he's got thru it on the new piston and sleeve.

cvec7 said:
Well gettin over doubles is easy, But can it clear the tripples?

The track I race on has two doubles w/ large gaps inbetween the two jumps, two tripples, and a few small doubles, very sharp windy turns, and one long straightaway which I know the Fantom will love.

Occasionally I see one guy there w/ a FR21 in his MBX-5 and I haven't seen him clear the tripples, I think it's because he seems a little light-fingered compared to the other guys, I hope that next time I see him there, he'll let me drive his MBX-5.

He's also had a problem w/ it too. The piston and sleeve quit after 2 gallons. He has another one in there now, next time I talk to him, I'll ask him how much fuel he's got thru it on the new piston and sleeve.

well no triples on my track, but leading into the doubles theres barely any runway at all. i can't imagine triples being a problem, but since you have someone with the motor, a test run will tell you for sure. also remember that since fantoms like to wind out so much, you can probibly run 1-2 less teeth on your clutchbell and still be fast on the main straight. that would give you plenty of low end punch. i have about 4.5-5 gallons through my FR15 and its just now ready for a P/S. and I'm going to try pinching it first to see how it reponds. this motor has always run odonnel 30% race formula, and admittedly
its gotten quite hot on a few occations.

Well, we have a quad at our track. I can't clear the quad, but it's close. When I do try, I usually end up hitting the just below the lip. I can make the triple with no problem.

BTW, I've been looking at the FR21 as a replacement engine in the future, that or the OS21RG ($109 at Tower).

Is the engine slow on the staight, if you have one? (the GS engine)

Only thing I really didn't care for about my GS 21 was the lack of strong bottom end. The 8 port I replaced it with was MUCH stronger.

As for the Fantom, I myself am completely done with them. You mention a guys Fantom p/s giving up after a couple gallons. Well, I just saw the same thing with my Fantom 27! This is the p/s after about 2 1/2 gallons! Not a scratch or anything on it. Just worn slam the hell out!!
DSC01170.jpg

DSC01173.jpg

I think I'm gonna stop buying into all the hype over these huge, over 21 size engines. I just picked up a Picco/Omega 21 to put in my Hyper and it runs stronger in the buggy than that Fantom ever did!

Man, that sux about the fantom, I hope they get the problems resolved.

My GS B01 had plenty of bottom end power, and I had a 9886 pipe on it, so the engine probably wasn't tuned to the pipe.

I had no problems, the thing would spin all four tires on the dirt. That was once I got it tuned properly but that wasn't difficult since the engine seems to run no matter how badly it's tuned. Makes it easy to adjust the needles when the engine is actually running.

Well, I guess "plenty of bottom End" is in the eye of the beholder :) Mine would spin tires in dirt, but then again, so will my T15. If you've never owned a powerful engine, then I guess it'll be plenty, otherwise, it wont be anywhere near what you're used to.

Yeah I think i'm with Elway. Any engine seems fast until you've tried or seen faster.

like I said on aim cvec, the b01 is just another RTR engine, you can't expect miracles.

You'd be much better off trying to get a backup RB or nova off one of the racers for cheap, or just run something cheap until you can afford something nice.

As for fantoms, i've never been a fan, and with their weird breakin methods, stupid ideas for sleeve coatings, and short lifespans, i'd steer clear away.

From what i've personally run i've had good luck with OS, RB, Nova, JP - and i'd say anything novarossi based is a sure winner. The OS are really nice too and very easy to drive, but lifespan isn't up there with the novarossi based gear.

As with anything, you get what you pay for, unless you score a killer deal on a used "real" race engine.

Fine - whatever. I mean, he didn't ask if it was the fastest on the track. He asked if anyone has used it at the track and how they liked it.

I answered with, it's plenty fast enough to get around the track. It's got enough torque to get over the big jumps and enough speed to keep up. Obviuosly, it's not a Novarossi engine. But you can score one on eBay for like $50 and it's not a bad engine. One of the top drivers at the local club track used a stock storm with a B01 and got second place in the A main, against some pretty damned good drivers. It's not all about the engine, it's the driver, too.

And of course, my Medial Pro M2k completely burns the living poop out of the B01, but it'll set you back $360. If he's looking for a cheap interim engine, the B01 is a decent choice. The guys at the track seem to have good luck with that $110 OS engine (RG?) too, although they don't seem to last very long. But it should get you through the season no problem considering the season is nearing an end.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm gonna just get a hyper PBS for $440, use the hyper 8-port for a while, then, when the money finally rolls around, I'll try to get a RB WS7II.

Hi,

I just opened my Kyosho .21 -engine, and damn, it was rusty, dirty and all the things engine shouldn't be :bored: . So, I found this "GS High Torque .21"-motor from one of local hobby stores. I wonder if anyone here knows will if fit to my Kyosho MP-6 buggy? I would get it quite cheap, but I'd also like to use it, not just hang it on the wall if it doesn't fit :smoke: .

Thanks,
Lauri(rc-driver/pilot from Finland)

Any standard size 3.5cc engine should fit in it's place. All the motors have screw holes for your engine mounts. You should just be able to basically throw the motor mounts on the B01, assemble the clutch, and bolt it right on.

The only problem I could see would be if your Kyosho engine has one of those shorter crankshafts and the clutch is different. But it's probably the same.

i have a stock storm with the B01. I got an ofna hyper 8-port that is awesome for races and can be found for under 150. I switch the engines frequently. The B01 i use for stock races and it is among the best in that class. Its holds its own in the A-mains too. The one notable lack is in the bottom end. The B01 is a great engine for bashing when you dont want to risk your race engine.