How important is servo speed for crawlers/trail rigs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Just thinking about how often small careful motions are needed when climbing something at the limit of a rigs capability. Would a high speed servo take away from being able to make those careful movements? I'm still fairly new at this but seems like lots of torque doesn't have a downside, but lots of speed might? 🤷‍♂️

Same here. Go for more torque, and don't worry about speed. But it's ok to have a fast servo on a crawler. The steering wheel is pretty sensitive and fine adjustments with a fast servo are easy enough. You're likely not going to notice it much on a crawler.

Yeah buddy, torque, you want that servo to keep that wheel steering where you want the rig to go when you’re stuck in some rut/traversing tricky terrain. I like it when the servo can push the entire vehicle left or right with the twist of a tire.

I wanna add…. That a strong servo in my sendero hd was like night n day. The stock servo lacked the torque to keep the wheel turned sometimes when the vehicle was climbing.
A strong servo in my scx24 was well, unbelievable.

Last edited:
Yeah buddy, torque, you want that servo to keep that wheel steering where you want the rig to go when you’re stuck in some rut/traversing tricky terrain. I like it when the servo can push the entire vehicle left or right with the twist of a tire.
Servos these days are strong enough to bend steering links 😄

Speed is useless in a crawler.seen noobs us a fast servo and drop right off a rail bridge .
Torque is what your after like all the posts before me say

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at 2 servos from Hobbystar, torque is near identical but one is slightly faster and $10 more, figured the small jump in speed wouldn't matter so long as the torque is equal or more.

Back