glowplug issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rukk

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My motor, a stock 3.3, has taken to ruining glowplugs very quickly. Just today, I put a new 3232x plug in and it started and ran through one tank and half of another then I stopped for about 15 minutes and when I went to start back up the glowplug is dead. This has been happening to me for the last several bash sessions though not as quickly.

I initially thought I was too lean with the LSN and/or the HSN and maybe I was letting it get to hot (don't have a temp gauge) and made adjustments accordingly. Hasn't seemed to help.

Another issue is that my motor is worn and is down on power. This is my first truck so I am not used to these things. I didn't think that this would kill plugs, but I am thinking now that this must be the problem. I've just bought a new piston/sleeve/rod off Ebay so I can get back up to speed while I resize the worn out one.

Is my worn out motor the problem like I'm thinking or am I off the track?

Too lean can burn them up. And too rich can do it as well... you say you don't have a temp guage... can you touch the head when your engine is all warmed up? does your engine blow smoke when you give it throttle? does fuel drip from the exhaust pipe and leave little drips?
You should have a temp gun to check your temps. You can do the drop of water test in the mean time... With the engine all warmed up put a drop of water on the head... it should take 3 to 5 seconds to evaporate off. Should not sizzle away any faster.

My lhs didn't have any Traxxas 20% last time I bought fuel so I bought Odonnel 20%. Shortly after I had problems (I don't think it is the fuel). Initially I believe I had the engine adjusted ok but somewhere in there I definately got too lean. At one point I noticed it smoking a little, the engine not the exhaust and I richened it up. That stopped that but the cooling head is definately hot to the touch still; there is no way I could keep my fingers on it for any length of time. A drop of spit is pretty much instant boil.

So I suppose that though I have richened it up that it is still too lean. However, it does not cut out on high speed pass and that is what I go by to indicate that it is way to lean.

Looks like I need to get a temp reader.

I sure wish I knew what was going on...I don't like going through glow plugs like I am now.

My lhs didn't have any Traxxas 20% last time I bought fuel so I bought Odonnel 20%. Shortly after I had problems (I don't think it is the fuel). Initially I believe I had the engine adjusted ok but somewhere in there I definately got too lean. At one point I noticed it smoking a little, the engine not the exhaust and I richened it up. That stopped that but the cooling head is definately hot to the touch still; there is no way I could keep my fingers on it for any length of time. A drop of spit is pretty much instant boil.

So I suppose that though I have richened it up that it is still too lean. However, it does not cut out on high speed pass and that is what I go by to indicate that it is way to lean.

Looks like I need to get a temp reader.

I sure wish I knew what was going on...I don't like going through glow plugs like I am now.

The good old spit test says you are way too lean on the HSN.

Too lean can burn them up. And too rich can do it as well... you say you don't have a temp guage... can you touch the head when your engine is all warmed up? does your engine blow smoke when you give it throttle? does fuel drip from the exhaust pipe and leave little drips?
You should have a temp gun to check your temps. You can do the drop of water test in the mean time... With the engine all warmed up put a drop of water on the head... it should take 3 to 5 seconds to evaporate off. Should not sizzle away any faster.

tell me this, how do you burn ur ca up from having it to rich. imposible. it will run like cap when to rich, but wont burn up

tell me this, how do you burn ur ca up from having it to rich. imposible. it will run like cap when to rich, but wont burn up

I am just quoting what Traxxas has told me would happen after doing the break-in. They recomend changing the glow plug after break-in due to how rich the break-in settings are.

Too rich ruins plugs. The oil builds up on the element and they don't retain heat as well or as much. Also, running too cool wears out the engine faster because the sleeve doesn't expand enough, so it slowly grinds the piston down. 180F and lower is too cool. However, doesn't sound like "too cool" is the problem here.

What does the coil in the plug look like when it dies? Is it still coiled like it is when it's new? Is it broken or distorted? Is the plug tip black looking or shiny/white looking?

yea your definitely too lean thats what is killing your glow plugs lean it out

Too rich ruins plugs. The oil builds up on the element and they don't retain heat as well or as much. Also, running too cool wears out the engine faster because the sleeve doesn't expand enough, so it slowly grinds the piston down. 180F and lower is too cool. However, doesn't sound like "too cool" is the problem here.

What does the coil in the plug look like when it dies? Is it still coiled like it is when it's new? Is it broken or distorted? Is the plug tip black looking or shiny/white looking?[/QU
\Oh wow, id didnt know that driving your car way to rich wares the motor out faster.
idk why anyone really would drive it so rich, it would be really boggy and not perform good at all

The problem here is definetly that it's getting too hot. As for why someone would run rich... I would rather change a fouled glow plug than break the connecting rod.

I appreciate everyone's input concerning my problem. I'll get 'er richened up and runnin' right. I can't believe that I let myself get the engine that bad out of wack, but apparently I have. At least now I feel that I am on the right track to resolve my problem.

Thanks!