glow plugs destroyed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimmu of bodem

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
my rush evo kills glow plug like crazy. i had one in and not even 5 min later the spring inside looks like it was smashed in. i think it might be a tuneing plroblem. i have gone through like 6 glow plugs in a month. also my rush wont keep runing unless i keep on the throtle a little bit how would i fix that?

Turn your idle up and just fine tune your tune it isnt hard. Just get a nice stream of smoke with out it chokeing up. As far as plugs you do wanna keep em fresh :) I try not to keep a plug longer than 2 weeks

I keep my plugs untill they don't work, lol, I'm on a budget...plugs usually last me a few months... I don't think I've ever bought more than 5 plugs in a year...

well i put a new one in and it was dead in like 5 minutes and then another one only lasted like one tank. i have two glow plugs that have the coil looking like it was smashed in. why did it do that?

I know on a four stroke engine this would be a sign of detonation. Can two stroke glow plug engines detonate?

They sure can, especially if it's too hot a plug. The same thing goes with too cold of a plug. That's the problem that sl0eg1n has been dealing with when it comes to his modded engine.

Turbo plugs can be tempermental. On a modified engine, it can be even more pronounced. With a turbo, the "sweet spot" has a smaller window for tuning.

Dimmu, what engine, plug and percentage are you using? Also, what is the weather like there? Hot and dry heat or humid? How are the temperature fluctuations in your area? All this can help determine what may be going wrong and causing you to blow your plugs so quickly.

i am using the stock rush evo motor t-15, mc coy MC-59, and 20% it has been humid because it has been raining it has been hot and humid till yesterday when it started raining. my engine has been getting really hot fast when barely runing it.

You may be running it very rich for the humidity you're running in as well as getting some predetonation because the plug is not hot enough. I'm not familiar with the McCoy plugs so I can't recomend the next hotter plug. I would think that an OS A3 plug along with retuning the low end since you're not running much and the temps are getting up there fairly quickly. If you don't have a temp gun, I would suggest getting one. BEFORE getting the hotter plug, I would suggest retuning. Bring it back to factory settings and start from there.

Also check to see if you have any airleaks from a cracked tank or bad seal in the tank lid as well as pinholes in your fuel line. Airleaks can also form otherplaces such as the front bearing (right behind the flywheel), neck of the carb, LSN & HSN o-rings, cooling head and backplate.

Easiest way to find these leaks is to get the engine started and spray some nitro cleaner in each area (one spot at a time). When you spray and the engine dies, that's where your airleak is.

i just got air sealent and put it at the neck of the carb. when i change the tuneing from being very rich it wont run without the glow igniter also it wont run without me puting on the throttle a little. as you can tell i am very bad at tuning and new to nitro

How much of a turn did you do? Tuning is a learned skill and practice will make it easier. I would suggest bringing it back down to factory spec. Tune the HSN first. Look for a nice stream of smoke and take note of the temperature. Tune for performance first but within reason. For now, try to keep the temps around 220-230. Just so you don't get into too much trouble. Remember, when tuning the HSN, only do 1/4 turns at a time. Run a few passes and take the temp ... just so you don't get too far out of hand and into a lot of trouble. When you have established a good medium, tune the low end.

Test the low end first by doing the pinch test. Pinch the fuel line about an inch away from the fuel inlet nipple. Count how many seconds it takes to die. You're aiming for about 3-5 seconds. If it's more than 5 seconds, you're too rich. Lean out the LSN at 1/8 of a turn. If it's below 3 seconds, you're too lean. Richen the LSN 1/8 of a turn.

The final test is the 20 foot test. From a standing start, let her rip and take note of how it reacts. If it gurgles then clears it's throat, you're too rich. Lean it out SLIGHTLY. 1/16 of a turn at a time till you get a good response. Double check with the pinch test to make sure you're in the general ballpark.

Next test, make a highspeed pass and take note as well. If it dies on the way up to top RPM or hesitates like it's starving for gas, you're too lean. You will need to richen the HSN. If it gurgles on the way down, you're too rich. Make adjustments in 1/4 turn incriments.

I would really suggest getting a temp gauge to keep things in a respectable range till you start to get your tuning skills up. Also remember, tuning can change even in a matter of 2 hrs or less. Keep an eye on performance, smoke and temps as well.

IF you don't have a temp gun yet, do the water test to keep an eye on temps till you get a temp gun. Drop a few drops of water on the head. If it sizzles off right away, it's too hot. If it just sits there, it's too cold. If it sits for a few seconds and then boils away, you're in a good spot.

try different types of plugs. A3, A5, or 8 should do it.

A5 is too cold. The 8 is much like the MC-59. I'd recomend the A3.

i have it at factory settings and it is still burning up my glow plugs also wont stay running. my pull start is like stuck really hard to come out???

Back