gas question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyfats420

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i was just wondering the importance of cleaning out the gas in your car. i do run gas that does not need after run oil after use. i didnt know if that was any different than using gas that needs after run oil after use.

are you talking bout nitro? or gas? correct me if I'm wrong, but its always recomended that you use after run oil. reason being is couse the methyl alcohol and nitromethane attracts moisture, so unless you eliminate those ingrediants, you "should" use after run oil.. and yes you should empty fuel tank. thew acohol will evaperate and leave only the oil behind, evan just overnight.. :yes:

i was talking about nitro gas. i was just asking cuz i was at my LHS earlier today and he said that i didn't need after run oil if i was using gas with oil in it. and it says right on the bottle of gas "do not use after run oil" and that if it was just over night i wouldn't need to take the gas out of my car. guess he was wrong on both questions??

You shouldn't leave fuel in the vehicle after a session of running it.

well I'm not a no-it-all or anything, and if you read it on the fuel, then chances are they are not lieing... but i will say.. alcohol atracts moisture. thats a fact.. after run oil cost 1.99.. and is good to have in your pit box anyway, as far as the guy at the lhs... the only problem with leaving fuel in the tank is it will evaperate.. evan a little bit could couse your rig to not start or run crappy the next day.. and we all just wana have fun.. so just think bout it.. do what you think is right.. but just dont cut any corners.. :)

I have noticed that the fuel looks different after it sits in the tank for about 3 hours, so I know that with obvious visual characteristics changing like that, the burn characteristics change too. I know that the alcohol in the fuel causes it to absorb water when it exposed to the humidity in the air, so essentially when you let fuel sit longer, your watering your fuel down more and more. The after-run oil will guard against rust in the engine and things like that. If you don't use it all the time, I would at least use it once or twice a week. I didn't use it the first few times I ran my car cuz it sounded complicated, but once I took a "look-see" it was quite an easy process. It only takes about 10 seconds and it could make your motor last exponetially longer!

where do i put after run oil? i def want my car to last a long time

remove your aircleaner and put it into carb and turn the flywheel to get into engine just a few drops or remove glow plug and put it in there i understand it is better to put into carb

Always remove all the fuel from your rig when you are through for the day.

Also always use after run oil. If your LHS told you that you didn’t have to, he either doesn’t know what he is talking about, or he is looking to sell you a new mill when yours seizes from not using after run oil.

Among the 10 RC’s I recently acquired, one of them had a mill that only had 4 break-in tanks put through it. All the fuel was removed and burned off, but ARO was not used. Needless to say the mill is now frozen solid and when I removed the plug to inspect, there was rust on the plug and element.

actually most engine manufacturers say drop it in the glow plug hole so the ARO doesn't damamge the O-rings in your carb...but this allows all the crud from the track to have an easy shot at dropping right into the sleeve...I still dump it down the carb but I make sure I keep it from running down the sides...turn the flywheel until you see the fuel port on teh crank through the carb hole and drop it in there...3-4 drops should be ebough, then I bump it on the box for a few seconds to sling it all round inside.....

as far as fuel sitting in your tank...it's really not a good idea but I am guilty of letting it sit for a few days myself...never had any issues re-starting with the fuel still in it....I do cap my exhaust tip and carb throat with rubber cups so it's not like any air is really getting in.......

I do cap my exhaust tip and carb throat with rubber cups so it's not like any air is really getting in.......

I do this too, all my nitro rigs have a cap that goes on the exhaust stinger after I run, and the pipe has cooled down. I figure it will serve two purposes, it keeps the system pretty much air free, and keeps oil from dripping out in the interior of my car or on the carpets at the house.

I normally try and run my tank dry at the end of a day, but I have left fuel in overnight if I knew I was going to run it for sure the next day. Other than that I always empty it and use after run oil.

I think I'm guilty of several ARO issues :) I put about 5 drops in the glow hole then another 5 in the carb. Then crank it 10 times with the cord. Seems excessive but then again it IS a 200 dollar engine. (I don't have starting problems)

oh mattyfats, one more thing is next time you might want to label the thread "nitro question" The HPI Baja 5B and other similar engines run on gasoline, and a lot of people tell them apart by calling them "gas" engines and calling what you have "nitro" engine. I used to call em all gas until I realized that I was calling all kind of confusion and people were answering my questions based on other engines instead of the nitro I had. Your doing a great job on picking up everything nitro related, but I thought this might be useful, just know I wasn't tryin to call you out or anything. Hope it helps!

will do charlie. and tanks for all the tips on nitro fuel! hehe since i have no after run oil and i do empty the fuel tanks after the end of the day.

Plaidfish I didn't know that the ARO could damage o-rings - pretty much every time I have used it I have let it dribble down the carb throat (I overkill with the stuff like cupooterluvr as worried about engine - they seem to be even more expensive over here :( has been real hard to start once but generally all good) it's still relatively new but one of the few spares I have is a carb o-ring set do you think it worthwhile pulling the carb apart too see if they are perished or is it only over long period of time it damages the rubber...??

All above invaluable info and I use a foam ear plug to plug up the exhaust deflector. Works great and never leaks.

Plaidfish I didn't know that the ARO could damage o-rings - pretty much every time I have used it I have let it dribble down the carb throat (I overkill with the stuff like cupooterluvr as worried about engine - they seem to be even more expensive over here :( has been real hard to start once but generally all good) it's still relatively new but one of the few spares I have is a carb o-ring set do you think it worthwhile pulling the carb apart too see if they are perished or is it only over long period of time it damages the rubber...??

I can't remember teh reason they said it's bad for tehm...I would think ARO would be good for rubber seals myself...but yes it is a cumulative effect not a once in a while issue..I've dribbles it all into my carb too and I don't have any issues....

Back