fuel tank repair

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpibasher

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i have found that taking a peice of a old fuel tank or hard plastic and melting them together using a soldering gun and it works. just cut the plastic to size and melt the new peice to the tank. I have done it a few times and it works no leaks. for me the repairs are in the back of the tank brakes. I have a hpi savage. its time to get a tank gard

Yes, plastic welding has been around a long time although I believe it is better to replace the tank unless you are just looking for a temporary fix.

when i went to school for auto body. and we learned how to weld plastic. there was two ways to do it. one was the way you described by melting the two together or there was a plastic welder that used extreamly hot air to melt. way better than the other method but you had to use a filler rod of the same material to make the bond. worked very well with car parts but maybe not for the thin plastic on fuel tanks. something that would definetly be temporary

a new one would be the way too go in the long run

The problem I see with this is a lot of people are going to try it and not put the effort into it that it takes to do it right, and of course they will have gaps and leaks. I can see how it would work if someone put in the time to do it right and you could have a quick fix, but it sounds to me like after that happens, buy two tanks and have one on standby so you don't have to jimmy rig it if it breaks again. They are pretty cheap parts.

I can see how it would work if someone put in the time to do it right and you could have a quick fix, but it sounds to me like after that happens, buy two tanks and have one on standby so you don't have to jimmy rig it if it breaks again. They are pretty cheap parts.

Straight from The Man's mouth. Well spoken!

I used shoe goo once, not pretty but it got me through the rest of the day bashing........

At auto stores they sell a gas-tank repair kit for small holes and such in gastanks. I would imagine this would work well...

Back