Oil coming from exhaust after running

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yfzracer450

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have a question. I recently switched fuels from traxxass to sidewinder backyard basher. I know this fuel has a higher oil content of 16% with a nitro content of 20% but my question is is after I just got done running it I had a decent amount of what looks like brown oil like liquid come out of the exhaust pipe when I tipped it on its side. I assume this is just unburnt fuel but is that normal? I have nitro rustler 2.5. Sometimes it has more oil then other times but this time i was just bliping the throttle as I was trying to run it out completely of fuel so i can put it away for the weekend. Did it just build up some unburnt fuel/oil because I wasn't wot it? Other times it only has a few drops come out but I also ran it a bit more closer to empty tank and it's a little bit cooler here in Florida today then it normally is. It seemed to run pretty good. It might be a tad bit rich tho but it opens up nicely when in wot it. I've order a os carb but it's on backorder for the last like 2 weeks so for now I gotta deal with the factory carb 🤦‍♂️🤣

Hello. I have a question. I recently switched fuels from traxxass to sidewinder backyard basher. I know this fuel has a higher oil content of 16% with a nitro content of 20% but my question is is after I just got done running it I had a decent amount of what looks like brown oil like liquid come out of the exhaust pipe when I tipped it on its side. I assume this is just unburnt fuel but is that normal? I have nitro rustler 2.5. Sometimes it has more oil then other times but this time i was just bliping the throttle as I was trying to run it out completely of fuel so i can put it away for the weekend. Did it just build up some unburnt fuel/oil because I wasn't wot it? Other times it only has a few drops come out but I also ran it a bit more closer to empty tank and it's a little bit cooler here in Florida today then it normally is. It seemed to run pretty good. It might be a tad bit rich tho but it opens up nicely when in wot it. I've order a os carb but it's on backorder for the last like 2 weeks so for now I gotta deal with the factory carb 🤦‍♂️🤣
Some unburnt oil will end up in the exhaust pipe and that is normal but if you end up with excessive amounts then my guess is, you're running to rich. 16% oil is too much imho. You want something with 8-12%. Id suggest O'Donnell's, Bones Brew, or even the regular Sidewinder with 12% oil.

Some unburnt oil will end up in the exhaust pipe and that is normal but if you end up with excessive amounts then my guess is, you're running to rich. 16% oil is too much imho. You want something with 8-12%. Id suggest O'Donnell's, Bones Brew, or even the regular Sidewinder with 12% oil.
I have 1 more quart of the backyard basher. Hopefully by the time I get through it my os carb will come in and I might switch it to a lower oil content. They have the 12% at my hobby store. But I don't have much room to really open her up and i only run like 2 or 3 tanks through each time before putting it up so I'm not racing it or hard on it. Not looking for a mad amount of power just wanna be reliable and fun. That's why I went with the 16% I am pretty sure it's a bit rich though and I could back it off a hair. This is all new to me so I'm still learning how to tune.

I run 20% but it depends on ur build? I like to run my poop fat if that makes sense. Figure ur compression and what fuel ratio to use.
You just want to run it yes go like 12%

I run 20% but it depends on ur build? I like to run my poop fat if that makes sense. Figure ur compression and what fuel ratio to use.
It's all just factory traxxas nitro rustler 2.5 Nothing has been changed or modded yet other then I replaced the clutch shoe's and thats it. Maybe I'll try using the 12% next time I by fuel. Hopefully I'll have my new carb by then

Try 12% it’s all trial and error but if need some tips hit me up

Just curious, why do you like to run your poop fat when all that does is make less power and you go through more fuel? Also, why does it matter what kind of build you have? I can't imagine anyone wanting less power by running fat on any build. If that were the case, wouldn't you just simply not pull as much throttle?

Just curious, why do you like to run your poop fat when all that does is make less power and you go through more fuel? Also, why does it matter what kind of build you have? I can't imagine anyone wanting less power by running fat on any build. If that were the case, wouldn't you just simply not pull as much throttle?
I dont really want mine running fat. It probably is a little bit right now only because I'm still learning how to tune for temperature and just all around good tune. This is all very new to me so I'm doing a lot of trial and error but a lot of ppl I talked to said to stop running the traxxas fuel cause it sucked so I did 🤷🏻‍♂️

I dont really want mine running fat. It probably is a little bit right now only because I'm still learning how to tune for temperature and just all around good tune. This is all very new to me so I'm doing a lot of trial and error but a lot of ppl I talked to said to stop running the traxxas fuel cause it sucked so I did 🤷🏻‍♂️
There is only 1 fuel IMO. VP

20% on the stock shim is spot on for a traxxas. The person that told you to toss traxxas fuel is spot on too.

There is only 1 fuel IMO. VP

20% on the stock shim is spot on for a traxxas. The person that told you to toss traxxas fuel is spot on too.
I'm running 20% with 16% oil so maybe I'll change to the 20/12 after i finish off what I have. I'm just waiting on my os carb as well

I'm running 20% with 16% oil so maybe I'll change to the 20/12 after i finish off what I have. I'm just waiting on my os carb as well
I will say this man. I’m in love with OS, fanboi of Savox. I had a 80% ride with savox in my racing days.

OS motors have saved so many new to nitro peeps. They just run and almost run perfectly directly out of the brand new box. Almost 0 tuning needed, they come tuned for break in. When it’s time to open them up, a quick 1/4 turn on the HSN does the job every time. I raced nitro for 7 years straight, buggy/truggy.

RTR nitros can get frustrating for noobs when they don’t know what to listen for or how it’s responding. So many leaks, bad mass produced unmatched pistons and sleeves, bad mass produced bearings, rods that split in traxxas engines that are ran too rich. Piston skirts that crack ETC.

If you want to really get into nitro without all the brain damage, buy a TRUGGY race kit, they bash and race better than any RTR basher. It will cost ya but when things don’t break you’ll thank yourself👍🏻😉

I notice oily exhaust particularly from castor-oil bearing fuels, regardless of content.

It certainly is fun to turn the car on it's side to change the wheels or replace a suspension arm and then discover a puddle of oil in your lap from the exhaust draining. I've taken to sitting my cars on their side as soon as I shut them down for the day to drain out the excess.

I think 'tis just the nature of the beast when it comes to castor, that's what makes it such a good small engine lubricant. With synthetic-only blends like Torco's 30/10, I basically never get oil dripping from the exhaust, just lots of thick healthy blue smoke.

I started it with backyard basher too thinking it would be the best option for a novice, but I had a much easier time tuning once I switched to a lower oil fuel. I got some 8% oil sidewinder and mixed it 50/50 with the 16% to make a 12% blend.

I will say this man. I’m in love with OS, fanboi of Savox. I had a 80% ride with savox in my racing days.

OS motors have saved so many new to nitro peeps. They just run and almost run perfectly directly out of the brand new box. Almost 0 tuning needed, they come tuned for break in. When it’s time to open them up, a quick 1/4 turn on the HSN does the job every time. I raced nitro for 7 years straight, buggy/truggy.

RTR nitros can get frustrating for noobs when they don’t know what to listen for or how it’s responding. So many leaks, bad mass produced unmatched pistons and sleeves, bad mass produced bearings, rods that split in traxxas engines that are ran too rich. Piston skirts that crack ETC.

If you want to really get into nitro without all the brain damage, buy a TRUGGY race kit, they bash and race better than any RTR basher. It will cost ya but when things don’t break you’ll thank yourself👍🏻😉
I dont really have the extra money right now to buy a new car. My wife bought me the rustler for my bday but we have a baby on the way so gotta watch the $$ now lol I have a lot of fun with my car. From what i can tell it doesn't run to lean or way to rich. I might be a tad to rich now but... I look at the plug and I've shown ppl pictures on here and a friend that races and they all say the plug looks perfect and just looking down inside of the glow plug hole at the top of the piston it looks good. A nice brown color no black on it not like it's burnt or gotten hot or anything. I don't notice any leaks anywhere either
I notice oily exhaust particularly from castor-oil bearing fuels, regardless of content.

It certainly is fun to turn the car on it's side to change the wheels or replace a suspension arm and then discover a puddle of oil in your lap from the exhaust draining. I've taken to sitting my cars on their side as soon as I shut them down for the day to drain out the excess.

I think 'tis just the nature of the beast when it comes to castor, that's what makes it such a good small engine lubricant. With synthetic-only blends like Torco's 30/10, I basically never get oil dripping from the exhaust, just lots of thick healthy blue smoke.

I started it with backyard basher too thinking it would be the best option for a novice, but I had a much easier time tuning once I switched to a lower oil fuel. I got some 8% oil sidewinder and mixed it 50/50 with the 16% to make a 12% blend.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. I originally bought 30% traxxas fuel for breakin but the more I learned the more I was told to run 20% because it was a lot easier to tune then the 30% but I had already bought a gallon of 30% 🤦‍♂️ so I started mixing 20% 50/50 with 30% just till it ran out but I gave up on that after a bit and just bought the backyard basher 20/16 the hobby store I go to has 20/12 so ill just get some of it next time

I dont really have the extra money right now to buy a new car. My wife bought me the rustler for my bday but we have a baby on the way so gotta watch the $$ now lol I have a lot of fun with my car. From what i can tell it doesn't run to lean or way to rich. I might be a tad to rich now but... I look at the plug and I've shown ppl pictures on here and a friend that races and they all say the plug looks perfect and just looking down inside of the glow plug hole at the top of the piston it looks good. A nice brown color no black on it not like it's burnt or gotten hot or anything. I don't notice any leaks anywhere either
Perfect then! Enjoy your RC time now brother! 😂

Ok my Nitro engines are not just store bought many mods The mini with big block has to run rich. It’s a custom build machined to speck. I have to find blueprints on it. Trust me it’s not stock and the TRAT hmmmm let’s just say he’s cut down and loves to run hot.

a lot of ppl I talked to said to stop running the traxxas fuel cause it sucked so I did 🤷🏻‍♂️
I believe the main complaint with Traxxas fuel is the oil content. I found this quote on the internet.

"Some users feel that Traxxas fuel has a higher oil content than necessary, around 16-18%, which they believe is excessive. This high oil content can lead to a hotter burn and may make the engine harder to tune. Moreover, the higher oil content can result in a messier operation of the vehicle, as it tends to produce more residue. Users often prefer oil content between 8% and 12% for a balance of lubrication and performance."

I believe the main complaint with Traxxas fuel is the oil content. I found this quote on the internet.

"Some users feel that Traxxas fuel has a higher oil content than necessary, around 16-18%, which they believe is excessive. This high oil content can lead to a hotter burn and may make the engine harder to tune. Moreover, the higher oil content can result in a messier operation of the vehicle, as it tends to produce more residue. Users often prefer oil content between 8% and 12% for a balance of lubrication and performance."
I've noticed that since I stopped running the traxxas fuel it has been running a lot cooler but I've also got it tuned better. For awhile I was setting the idle gap wrong therfore making it to high and was causing me a lot of problems. I ended up burning through a pair of clutch shoes before I figured out what I was doing wrong. But it's all trial and error for me and a learning process. That's why I got a nitro and not an electric because I didn't wanna just plug and play and i want to do it all on my own. I think once i finish off the other quart of 16% I have I'll switch to the sidewinder 12% my local hobby store has.

Back