General nitro questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstnd

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello,
1. Is there a way to tell if nitromethane or oil is bad (if it even can go bad)? Because I might buy this:
Screenshot_20230519_211526_Marktplaats.jpg
I guess on the left, it is oil (made for nitro engines). On the right, there's nitromethane and in the middle there's a 20/80 mix. 80% oil sounds a bit much to me, but it's about the oil and methane for me. So, might it be gone bad?

2. Is the serpent website trustworthy enough to ship something from the UK to europe? I'm planning on buying this fuel:
https://www.serpentuk.com/product/piranha-racing-fuel-25-nitro-5-litres/

3 is it possible to add some of the oil or nitromethane from question 1 to a ready fuel like from question 2?

Hello,
1. Is there a way to tell if nitromethane or oil is bad (if it even can go bad)? Because I might buy this:View attachment 165757I guess on the left, it is oil (made for nitro engines). On the right, there's nitromethane and in the middle there's a 20/80 mix. 80% oil sounds a bit much to me, but it's about the oil and methane for me. So, might it be gone bad?

2. Is the serpent website trustworthy enough to ship something from the UK to europe? I'm planning on buying this fuel:
https://www.serpentuk.com/product/piranha-racing-fuel-25-nitro-5-litres/

3 is it possible to add some of the oil or nitromethane from question 1 to a ready fuel like from question 2?

Serpent might be your best bet.

It's just not worth it to mix your own, it'll cost just as much or more, and the professional blends are thoroughly proven.

80% nitromethane and 20% oil would not work.

Nitro fuel is a mix of methanol, nitromethane, and an oil mixture that is either 100% synthetic or a blend of de-gummed castor and synthetic oils.

80/20 methanol to castor oil is a very old-school plane fuel mixture, also known as FAI fuel.

I've mixed nitro fuels of the same type and brand, but different nitro contents, to create in-between blends, (like, 20% and 30% to create a 25%), that's as far as I'd go mixing my own.

Serpent might be your best bet.

It's just not worth it to mix your own, it'll cost just as much or more, and the professional blends are thoroughly proven.

80% nitromethane and 20% oil would not work.

Nitro fuel is a mix of methanol, nitromethane, and an oil mixture that is either 100% synthetic or a blend of de-gummed castor and synthetic oils.

80/20 methanol to castor oil is a very old-school plane fuel mixture, also known as FAI fuel.

I've mixed nitro fuels of the same type and brand, but different nitro contents, to create in-between blends, (like, 20% and 30% to create a 25%), that's as far as I'd go mixing my own
Thanks
It's like eBay. 4.5L castor oil, 4.5L methane and some FAI fuel for €30, sounds like a good deal to me... Mixing own fuel will surely be hard, but now I'm just thinking about spicing the rtr fuel a bit up👍

Back