FMS Wash colors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPLGOODIE

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hello -

I plan on weathering a FMS FCX24 yellow Power Wagon. I was wondering what color washes to use for the Yellow body, Black fenders and Red wheels... enamels or acrylics?

I'm new to all of this weathering stuff. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

The way I weathered everything was with chalks. But that was small scalle stuff at 1:160 (N scale railroading).
20140205_083731_zps86704ee6.jpg

20140205_212823_zps44e9dd3e.jpg

20140206_231928_zps02a11372.jpg

Basically you just dust the vehicle with hair spray, dust on the chalks, add some rust paint to really rusty areas, then cover with a matte clear.

For the Power Wagon, I'd probably use the same approach if I didn't want to repaint it. Because if I were to really go at it, I'd paint the entire thing a dark brown rust color, sprinkle some salt on the wet paint, then paint with an orange rust color and repeat the salt, then paint with my body color of choice. Then after drying, I'd scrub the salt off to reveal the various rust shades, then finish weathering with chalks.

If you are using washes, I would use a burnt sienna or any other brown, black will give it too much contrast. I would recommend spraying a coat of matte clear before adding your washes, helps give them something to stick too, and it helps the over all aging look.

No matter what you decide enamel, or acrylic (I personally like acrylics) remember to use thin coats let it dry and build it up layer by layer. by letting it dry between coats it helps you to keep from over doing it.

I also like pastels for adding weathering, I use both methods. Look up some weathering vids on youtube, some really good stuff out there.

This one was done with the method @WickedFog described.
PSX_20220716_144154.jpg

What do you guys think a could color would be for a wash on the black fenders and red wheels?

Thanks!

What do you guys think a could color would be for a wash on the black fenders and red wheels?

Thanks!
If I were to take a stab at it, I would try burnt sienna diluted in water then add white if needed to create a dust effect. Really thin, and multiple layers.

Would you use burnt sienna for the black fenders as well?

Would you use burnt sienna for the black fenders as well?
As a thinned out wash? Yes. Imagine what kind of weathering you are doing. If the dirt, rust, dust, suit, or whatever you are trying to apply were to be so thick you can't see the paint... what color would that be? Brown, beige, reddish brown, black, etc would be their base colors. Applying them as a "wash" applies that color just as nature does. Thin, translucent layers at a time. You create the natural effect by applying the wash heavier in areas where the weathering would naturally occur the heaviest. Like heavy in crevices, and less on exposed, smooth surfaces.

Since you guys have been so helpful... I thought I would ask you another question. The FMS car I am weathering comes with windshield wipers on it. I thought it would be awesome to make the windshield say dusty or dirty, except where the wipers wipe.

Any thoughts on how I can do that? Thanks again!

Masking tape in the shape of the wiper pattern. Then you can weather and even dust the windshield with matte clear. Remove the tape and you'll have some clear area to see through. Experiment on scrap lexan, old packaging, etc.

Yep, mask the area you want to stay clean, then you can hit it with a real fine mist of light tan. that mean keep a good distance away. remember several light coats so you can see your progress. I am contemplating doing that on my black Sendero HD.

The windshield is so small... not sure how I can paint. Can this be done with a brush, or using a dust pigment or something?

Thanks!

You could wet the brush and flick paint at it. It would take multiple coats, but could give a nice effect. Your paint will be wet enough you could use an old windex bottle maybe.

Back