First time paint help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonP90

RCTalk Basher
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
So I have a COPO Camaro shell coming next week, and I really really want to paint it with an actual color it comes with, GM WA464C Satin Steel Grey Metallic. And I found some in aerosol form.

But.. it's a low voc urethane paint.

Now I've read I shouldn't use that, but I'd like to confirm that with you guys.

Trouble is, I'm not really ok using any different color, so I was also wondering , if I can't use it, is there any way I COULD use it, by using some kind of clear coat or something first?

It's my first time, so be gentle. 😂

That's such a bummer

Alrighty then, thank you 👍

I think I should be able to settle for another.

I need an airbrush, just no space for it currently. I have a a buddy who will let me use his, just haven't gotten around to it

So this is what I'm going for,
Waiting for the paints to come in, probably won't be able to start until Saturday, but I'm looking forward to it.

1000003052.jpg

1000003026.jpg

1000003027.jpg

When I say I don't have a lot of room to paint... my apartment balcony paint booth.

And I rattle the cans inside so the manager doesn't know 🤫

So I'm going with translucent silver, backed with bright gunmetal, and depending on how that looks, maybe a black backer.

Any quick tips for spraying the translucent silver, as far as how many coats, or top first then sides?

Was going to wait until Saturday to start, but I have everything I need and I can't wait 🤣

1000003063.jpg

So I trimmed it without a hitch, and then realized I made a fatal error after first coat of silver brought out some smudges or fingerprints 🤦🏻‍♂️ I washed it really good, but only wiped it down after masking. BIG OOPS

Stay tuned for more mishaps!

Polycarbonate has Gun Metal Grey and it looks pretty close.

I'm getting it down. This is definitely a first time lol. I panicked though, I think it's actually going to be ok. Looks better after a couple more coats of silver.

1000003064.jpg

That's a bag under the shell lol, those aren't all streaks 🤣

And I realized something else after adding the gunmetal,
Went too heavy on the silver damnit.

Lessons were learned, so that's something.

Last edited: