First Run with MGT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got the MGT. From first looks the truck looks a little bigger than the savage. The body is much wider. I like the way the chassis is designed, looks very sturdy. The engine broke in very nicely compared to the savage engine. I like the dual starting ability of this engine. Off road, this is where the MGT shines. IMO it easily out performs my Savage and T-maxx. It seems to handle a little better on pavement. However the savage seems to be a lot faster especially since my savage is powered by the OFNA 8 port. The MGT is lighter than the savage. For some reason the the suspension seems to work very well. It looks a lot like a T-maxx type suspension. The tranny also look similar to the T-maxx except the MGt is transverse design. The 2 speed works very well on the MGT. The push button reverse on the transmitter could easily be accidently activated due to its location. One thing to note about this engine in the MGT is that it has a tendency to go lean when the tank is 1/4 full. I'm not really sure why it does that. The steering servo is strong but VERY slow. I may have to change it because on pavement it takes a long time to turn especially at high speeds. I did not like the tires that came with either the Savage or the MGT so I changed them both. I have the HB 6.5 inch tall, 4 inch wide tires on both the Savage and MGT. The exhaust on the MGT is perfect seems to allow for more low end torque. I will probally change the servo to a faster servo. I may even drop in the ofna 8 port. We will see. For now I'm still trying to see which one I like better. Bottom line for now I would say that the MGT will give the Savage a good run. Off road definetly the MGT one thing is because the MGT has a much higher ground clearence than the Savage. That slow servo has to go. I wish I could figure out why the engine goes lean when the tank is 1/4 low.

nice to see someone who actualy owns one give a good report on it. the pros and cons. how about durability? how does it stack up to the competition?

The leaning tendancy is normal. Most of these RC fuel systems do it. The MGT might be ahead of the curve if it only starts showing signs around the last 1/4. Most RCs show a bit of leaning around the halfway mark.

This might mean that you are running a little richer than optimal. BUT that is not a bad thing.

BTW...nice report. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
nice to see someone who actualy owns one give a good report on it. the pros and cons. how about durability? how does it stack up to the competition?

I can't really say too much about durability of the hard parts on the MGT because I have not ran it long enough. My Savage and T-Maxx are super strong. Then again I have modified both truck to make them much stronger. I can say one thing about the radio system in my MGT, it sucks. I already had to replace the steering servo because it could barely turn the front wheels, even with fresh batteries it still did the same. Second thing to go wrong was the reciever in the MGT, everytime I used the steering the throttle servo became very eratic and caused the idle to surge radpidly. It was hard to control the truck that way. I found the problem to be caused by the reciever. I replaced the reciever with a new Savage reciever that I had lying around. Now the radio system works great. Problem fixed. I have sent both the steering servo and reciever to Team Associated, so hopefully they will send me a new one to use as a spare.

Seems to me like all monster trucks come with poopy steering servos out of the box.

GREAT report by the way! THANK YOU for a field report! This is the information we need to base our opinions on.

Keep it coming!

-Chris

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
Seems to me like all monster trucks come with poopy steering servos out of the box.

GREAT report by the way! THANK YOU for a field report! This is the information we need to base our opinions on.

Keep it coming!

-Chris

There are some real neat stuff I found out while tinkering with the MGT. All the electronics can be easily removed by removing 4 screws. This makes it safe to clean. Also the HB 6.5" tires look perfect on this truck. The stock tires although just as tall dont seem wide enough. So I replaced it with the HB 6.5 psycho tires and UFO wheels. I had to trim the inside of the wheels a little to clear the wheel hubs on the MGT. The MGT is much lighter than the Savage but my MGT can't seem to wheelie. I think the suspension is too soft so it just absorbs possible wheelies. I have a T-MAXX with a OS 15R-X and the T-maxx with stock gearing will easily smoke the MGT. I dont think the MGT was designed with speed in mind. But its definetly perfect for Off road.

Attachments

• dcp_0128a.jpg
    dcp_0128a.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 274
change the clutch bell to a 16 tooth one, people have gotten it to wheelie really easily that way.

how much did u buy it and where?

Could you measure the difference in ground clearance between Savage and Monster GT? I have nice fields close by, but Savage is just a bit too close to ground.

If the Savage is too close to the ground then you may want to look into a Clod. Most all of your 10th scale MGT's (or even 8th scale for that matter) are all going to be ROUGHLY the same. If ride height is that much of a factor, you may want to consider a Clod. Check them out!

Originally posted by badboy2
how much did u buy it and where?

I paid $479.99 for the Monster GT with free shipping, no tax from Ultimate Hobbies in Ca. Check them out they are fast in shipping and good customer service. Unfortunately they will not provide you with a tracking number, but if you call them they will track it for you.

Great review speedyz.........I've been thinking about buying a MGT in spring, work has really slowed down for me since winter is right on top of us and therefore cash flow is a bit restricted for now...........keep us up to date on the progress with your new ride, that pic looks great BTW.

awesome report,thank you.i just took mine out today,ran the break in tanks,purred like a kitten.checked all the screws and nuts,put her on the road and wow.first gear is great but then second gear came in after a little tuning and bam nice take off.turning on this truck is not made for a tight track.very wide radius.the shift into and out of forward and reverse are smooth.but unfortunatly that was the end of my day as i cracked the two speed pinion.ouch.but now i get to rip her apart and see how she is at going back together.had a 5foot rooster tail of snow behind her when she was running

Ok I just got mine buit I have had two family members tell me the same thing. Both had problems with staying fired up. My brothers seemed to work fine but he had to increase the idle to run fine. The directions said to open the HSN a 1/4 of a turn. My cousin finally got his yesterday and that one is problem child. I tried increasing the dle then back. I tried to open up the HSN more but the milll kept wanting to die. IT would start up but as soon as you remove the glo ignitor it DIED!!!I am going to break my engine in tomorrow but I want to make sure that I don't miss a step. The direction say that for the first two tanks you should open the HSN 1/4 of a turn more , oil the air filter up and then set the carb opening with the ISS. then during the firts two tanks it asks you to lean out the HSN a 1/16 more. I am hoping my first tanks will b e better than my other family members did

Last edited:
Jon2 your glow plug might need replacing if its not running when you take the glow driver off.........i had this happen to mine and i replaced the glow plug with a new one.......also none of my carb setting were correct out of the box....and your transmitter throttle low knob should be turned all the way clockwise for me anyway to get full pull on throttle:microwave

I will check out the settings as soon as I get home. On mine I did have to set ALL of the needles and then Replace my plug with a MC59 and the truck fires right up within a half pull!. Still does it till this day.
Vaughn~ Do you have the MGT?

yes i got one......i have been sick and its been either raining or cold to run it........i got 5 tanks threw it so far so its not even broke in yet......i ordered the header pipe to put my exhast on the side .........i had to change my plug after a few tanks I'm using mc-59 also....... i got mine running rich with plenty of fuel spitting out the pipe.....i will slowly lean it out the next few tanks

How many tanks are you running so far? I started to lean out the engine after the sixth tank for power and speed. I am still trying to get my MGT to do wheelies like in the VID Nitroaddict posted. But I noticed that he was using smaller tires instead of the stock monsters it comes with. I am going to try that out to day or tomorrow. BTW what are your carb settings?

i have ran 5 tanks so far only.......as for geting it to wheelie.....you would have to make the rear shocks alot stiffer for one.............probably have to work on the gearing to get more torque which will take away from the top speed......or get your self a wasp.26 motor..........my setting are lsn 6 and 1/2 full turns out from closed............HSN 2 and 1/2 full turns out from closed........and the idle screw about a 5mm opening when looking inside the carb

i will lean my hsn out the next few tanks:fro:

don't you mean a .5mm opening?

Back