F-ing Gas Prices!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even @3.00 a gallon driving is a good VALUE.
Let say you need to go 30 miles and you get 15mpg thats $6.00
Walking isn't free, your time has a cost to it. Lets say 7.00 per hour just for fun.
It would take you about at 8 hours to walk 30 miles. Thats $56.00 not including food, water, and shoe leather.

Driving just saved you $50.00.

I said this ia April of 2004 and my story remains the same.
FastEddy said:
My big truck is a 98 Isuzu 16 foot box with a Chevy 350 4 bolt. It gets around 5-6 mpg when its full. On a given day its not uncommon to do 300-400 miles. Do the math.

If it wasn't for the big truck I wouldn't look at the price of gas. We need it, they have it. Pay the man if you want to drive. Be lucky you don't live in Europe and pay 2-3 times a much. If the price of gas bothers you change your lifestyle and take public transit. Sounds kind of harsh but what other choice do you have.

As I said, I close my eyes at the pump and fill up at 1/2 tank. Makes me feel better. ;)

here the prices were around 2.03 and 2.11, but just recently they umped up to 2.43 and all thats crazy for around here and really sucks. shoot iff it keeps going up i might think about gettin a diesel cuz thats cheeper than unleaded or gettin a 4cylinder jeep.

o really figured that it would get good prices cuz it was a 4 cylinder

i herd that they are good on insurence tho cuz of being made in the us and having lots of parts and all those factors, is that true?

Chances are, if you live in Europe (you as in members of this forum) you're either from the UK (not many....) or deployed/military. In that case, if you're military, you're gonna have acess to the local Base which is were you're gonna work. So, you have acess to the base, which also means you have access to the TAX-FREE AAFES facilities, shopping/food centers, movie theatres, and all the non-AAFES stuff is still tax-free on base. And, even if gas is more expensive overseas (which it's not on base, it's actually cheaper than most places here in the US) The money you save on having to pay taxes is going to out-weigh the extra money you're spending on gas. So, in conclusion, living in europe is actually cheaper....and, do I need to mention that for about half the people, the military/airforce/AAFES pays for your house/housing.... Almost Everything is actually much cheaper overseas. And, we can't forget the tax-free AAFES car dealers....

Now, yes that sounds real beneficial, but you're constantly moving and not getting a say in where you live, so in reality it sucks. I'm just proving my point that gas really isn't more expensive in europe. Now off-base? yes it probably is more expensive, but the only times you're filling up off-base is for vacation, and vacations are all about spending money...

Last edited:
FastEddy said:
If your ofended by my remarks thats your issue not mine.

If you can't afford a car or the gas that goes in it you have choices. Its your choice to live 44 miles from work. Don't blame it on any one but yourself. Do you feel screwed that an XRay buggy kit costs 650.00? No, you simply understand that you can afford it and move on. Its the same with gas, If you can afford it, don't buy it.

Its my belief that YOU CAN afford the gas but you don't like the price you are paying for it. Am I wrong? I'm almost positive that buying gas so you can get to work isn't taking food out of your mouth. For some it may bit in your case I'm sure it isn't. If things were that bad you wouldn't have toys like RCs, Computers, Internet access or even the Cell phone you carry with you.

You need to see the value in getting a used car that uses more gas. You can pay 35K or more for a new car or you can pay 5K for a used one. Don't bitch about NOT WANTING to pay the price for fuel. your 30K ahead. That buys an awful lot of fuel even at 3.00 per gallon.

If this post offends any one. TFB..... See ya at the pump....

Don't get me wrong, but I don't believe it's right that we're paying more and more every day for the same poop. Gasoline is not made any different now than it was ten years ago. It's made the same, it burns the same. My '96 ranger is made to get 21MPG and it does.

How can you justify spending more money for the same thing. Would you think it's okay to buy, say an '05 tahoe in may, then in June see that it has cone up $8k in price, knowing it's the same vehicle.

To answer your question, I don't feel screwed one bit when I buy an R/C car, because I don't need it to pay my bills. I DO however feel screwed when I'm paying almost twice the price of something I bought a year ago.

No, it's not taking food out of my mouth, but what about single parent households with a minimum wage income? What about them? Do you think that's fair? I don't know about the job scarcity in your area, but here, you take what you can get. Yea, my job is 44 miles away, AND I would take something closer if it would pay the bills. This is not uncommon. You just assume that you choose where you want to be, what you want to drive, and how you live.

This goes for anyone. Does anyone have a logical explaination of why it's going up, minus the BS?

Ya, my dad lives at least 50 miles from work (the pentagon) and it takes him 2:30 hours to get there riding the metro. (another way to save money) why do we live so far away? because we choose to? No. Because we have to, the closer you get to DC, the more expensive and more crime there is, and the house market is SSSSOOOO unbelievably competitive, that if you find a nice house that you can afford, there's a 99% chance that'll it'll be under contract later that day.

Now, yes some people choose to live far away from work, but most do not choose to, and are just simply doing what they have to

my :2cents: ....

rbmaxxbasher said:
Does anyone have a logical explaination of why it's going up, minus the BS?

How many times do we need to go over this? The reasons behind gas prices can be beat into you guys till you're blue in the face, but untill you step up and simply accept the "BS" as the logical explanation then we'll all just have to put up with the whiners.

Fuel and a vehicle to put it in is not a god given right like the air we breath. The price is going up and will continue to do so. There is nothing you nor I can do about it. I heard on the radio today that it may double in price over the next 2 years. I would have said BS if I was told fuel would be $3.00 per gallon today, but it is. It could and will be $5.00 sometime soon.

If the price is to high for your budget you WILL have to make lifestyle choices to compensate. I would rather pay less but its not an option. Bitch and cry about it all you want, that and $3.00 will get you a gallon of fuel. DEAL WITH IT. You ain't seen nothing yet!

Living 2.5 hours away from your dads work IS A CHOICE. You could find a 1 bedroom apartment closer to work. You father has made a choice to sacrifice his time traveling to give your family a better lifestyle. You could all live closer to work in a smaller place but again he CHOOSES not to.

The issue of lifestyle choices based on economics is a subject that is near and dear to me. We think the world owes us, WAKE THE fiddlesticks UP!!! If your young, Get it through you skull now its a life long battle. No one, Ill say it again, NO ONE is responsible for your life choices except you....

If the food you like, the place you want to live, the car you drive is out of you reach deal with it and adapt.

ill chime in on one thing i dont understand ..

how does the gas thats already drilled refined deliverd ect. keep fluctuating so much at the pump?

they paid a certain amount to get it to to station, so say it cost the station $2 a gallon to fill there tanks how and why does it change daily ....i have a vision of someone getting up in the morning and saying today i think it should be $2.60 & everyone follows the lead

Fasteddy, you are quite possibly the most negative person I've ever talked to. One of the biggest reasons why the gas prices are going up is because we ALL sit by and let it happen. If you believe we are responsible for our own situation we should all take action and do something about it. A while back (like three or four years ago) there was one day, when people refused to buy gas. It came down.

As far as being ahead 30K, I don't know how your math works, or if you just happen to have an extra 30k lying around, but for most people this gas crunch is hurting quite a bit.

Explain why when gas went up, people started investing in diesels. Now out of the fiddlesticking blue, Diesel's just as expensive now.

Actually about August 30th nobody buy gas.

in thoery you're right rbmaxx. If we could actually organize a gasline boycott of a a couple hundred million people wide it would make an impact. The fact is that we are a society that relies on oil products. Just as there are many people that don't have an extra 30k layin around those are the same people that can't afford to simply go a few days without driving to work, heating they're homes, cooking dinner, or whatever else. As a matter of fact I remember that day last year very clearly when people were supposed to boycott oil. you know where I first heard it? On the radio while driving my car in the middle of the afternoon that very day. It's easy to talk about doing something but when push comes to shove there are far fewer doers.

I agree but it would work if everyone would help on the effort

if we had people in office that DIDNT have billions of dollars in the oil industry.. then it woul be different.. gwb is from texas.. and you dont live in texas and have money without in some way being in contact with the oil industy.. they keep saying "oh overseas has all the oil and they wont give us none.. " bull poop.. alaska has more oil then everywhere else combined bt they WONT DRILL THERE cause the dont wanna mess up the pretty ice.. then can cut down the damn rain forest but oh hell if were gonna fiddlesticks up some ice.. european countrys have cars that run on hydrogen with no problems at all .. sure there arent many hydrogen stations but they also have a unit that you put in your garage that MAKES hydrogen from water.. sure it uses natural gas to do it but we have WAY more natural gas then oil AND it comes out to about 1 dollar per gallon.. with an average distance of 40ish mpg.. but NOONE in the us has these cars why?? because our country is run by the oil companies.. telsa (the guy that made the static ball thing) invented perpetual motion tens of years ago but his ideas were squasted by big oil.. WATER by volume has more kinetic energy then oil but we dont even try to use water.. why?? because its renuable?? wtf.. i can almost guarantee that there is technology out today that would make oil obsolete but this would also make people in charge of our country broke.. you think its gonna get released?? hell no.. i know of a golf cart that runs on tap water.. if they can do it for that why not a car?? i say screw oil.. as soon as i can get the cash I'm converting my house to solar power and the elecric company can pay me.. then I'm investing in alternate fuel research and try to do something.. SURE everyone makes choices and has to live by them.. but if you walked into the store and a bottle of coke was 5 bux but poweraid was 1.50 which would you buy?? all we have right now is oil and they know it. anyone that tryes to develope an alternative "disapears" if you know what i mean.. i hear ya eddy about the choices but i think people need to wake up and smell the fumes.. the technology is there but big oil and big brother are suppressing it.. we need o push for alternatives.. we are lagging so far behind in this technology its rediculous WAKE UP USA!!! YOUR GETTING SCREWED!!!

Columbus, Ohio Aug. 13 2005:
$2.49 for the "cheap" stuff....I'm hearing talks of $3.00 per gal for the cheap stuff by winter time....Both my rides are V6's and I'm now looking to down grade even more to 4 cyl....geez us!!

If it was'nt for the horrible drivers in my city i would own a motor cycle, but its bad enough in a car, suv, truck...a bike is like asking to die..!

Scott

I guess we have it bad but i do know over in England they are paying around $8-$9 per gallon....holly sh!t

Back