F-ing Gas Prices!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't count a four banger to get you better milage. Do research before you buy as I'm sure you will.

A mini cooper only averages around 30mpg. I get consistent 27 in my GrandMarquis with a v8 as long as I drive around 70mph with 40miles highway, 15miles bumper to bumper.

Less cylinders doesn't always mean better. My 96 ford contour with a 4, overhead cams, fuel injection averaged 24-25mpg. That thing sucked. And it was slow.

wannarunem said:
Yeah there is a lot of oil there..but its the liberals that dont wanna drill there maily because they want to protect the Caribou Porcupine.

http://www.cariboucommons.com/issue/issue.html

a what?? caribou porcupine?? thats just what there useing as an excuse.. they could put a fence around the oil well so they poor little thing doesn't get hurt.. but yea we dont need to find more oil.. we HAVE the technology to make oil obsolite but we dont use it.. i remember a story about a lady that got all upset and pissed off and was picketing or boycotting or whatever.. the indy 500 (THE INDY 500!!!!) talking about "with gas prices so high they dont need to be racing around buring all that gas!!! " she felt like as ass when she found out they run one ethynol.. a RENEWABLE fuel made from CORN.. funny story but think about it a second.. everyone complains about how slow and sluggish the electric or hybrid cars are.. why not use ethynol.. indy cars are fuckin fast!! why can they make my honda run on ethynol.. ???? damn i got 2.5 acres i could grow my own fuel.. !! I'm not gonna get started on this subject again.. there is alot more info i have on this but i dont want to be in a bad mood all night

example...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050813...RKuyDSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-

so beason when are you going to take our bashing field away to grow your own fuel??

No ware did I ever say I liked it, as a mater of fact I hate the price and the politicians and the politics behind it. I have better things to spend my money on.

The point I'm making is bitching about it will get you no ware. If your going to take action then do it. In the meantime what do you think the chances of the price going down over the next 3 years is? It may go through some ebbs and flows but you can bet your ass it isn't going down to the price it was last year.

Face it! Its going up. Make choices now that will hedge your lifestyle against the increase. If you can / don't want to pay the price, do something about it don't just sit in your chair and bitch about it. Make intelligent forward thinking decisions. If for some reason the price goes down, you will be ahead of the game.

Things to look forward to because of the increase in prices. All these things are going up in price and will not come back down.

Shipping
Food
Any thing made of plastic
Heating
Electricity
Bus fair
Train fair
Air fair
Labor cost
TAXES!

If you don't come to the realization that all these things are connected you are going to be caught with your pants down.

Anyone that thinks I'm a negative person doesn't know me well. I started doing what I could to help insure my family and my business that relies on everything listed above well over a year ago when WE WERE WARNED this was coming. Its not like it was a bomb dropped on us. Every single economic forecast I read made heavy mention of oil prices doubling in the coming months and years. Its not like we didn't know.

The negative people put blinders on and ignored the situation. Now there all bitching because they CHOSE to read the funny pages rather then the business section.

Start making choices now and not be blindsided a year from now when this same exact thread pops up again. Use the search button and you will see that it has been discussed before right here on this forum. I'm being strong on this subject so maybe, just maybe someone, even if its just one person may take note and make some good choices.

For those of you driving diesel vehicles, here's some interesting stuff that may help you out: http://www.planetbiodiesel.com/

Now 3 grand for a processing unit may be expensive, but you could easily make your own for much cheaper, and even tho you're gonna be spending some extra money at first, it's gonna be cheaper overall in the long-run. And, this way, you're not spending an extra 10 grand for a hybrid that you probably don't want...

Last edited:
Yeah, i just got home from camping for the past week... gas went up like 15 cents in that time... Premium was like $3.09 Regular was like $2.89...

FastEddy said:
No ware did I ever say I liked it, as a mater of fact I hate the price and the politicians and the politics behind it. I have better things to spend my money on.

The point I'm making is bitching about it will get you no ware. If your going to take action then do it. In the meantime what do you think the chances of the price going down over the next 3 years is? It may go through some ebbs and flows but you can bet your ass it isn't going down to the price it was last year.

Face it! Its going up. Make choices now that will hedge your lifestyle against the increase. If you can / don't want to pay the price, do something about it don't just sit in your chair and bitch about it. Make intelligent forward thinking decisions. If for some reason the price goes down, you will be ahead of the game.

Things to look forward to because of the increase in prices. All these things are going up in price and will not come back down.

Shipping
Food
Any thing made of plastic
Heating
Electricity
Bus fair
Train fair
Air fair
Labor cost
TAXES!

If you don't come to the realization that all these things are connected you are going to be caught with your pants down.

Anyone that thinks I'm a negative person doesn't know me well. I started doing what I could to help insure my family and my business that relies on everything listed above well over a year ago when WE WERE WARNED this was coming. Its not like it was a bomb dropped on us. Every single economic forecast I read made heavy mention of oil prices doubling in the coming months and years. Its not like we didn't know.

The negative people put blinders on and ignored the situation. Now there all bitching because they CHOSE to read the funny pages rather then the business section.

Start making choices now and not be blindsided a year from now when this same exact thread pops up again. Use the search button and you will see that it has been discussed before right here on this forum. I'm being strong on this subject so maybe, just maybe someone, even if its just one person may take note and make some good choices.

I agree with you completely..... bitching does nothing....Since there is absolutely nothing we can do to control oil prices, only thing to do is to cut costs here and there to make up the difference. One of the easiest ways to cut your costs is to drive a less expensive car. Olds your V8 marquis may get great mileage but you are a rarity. My wife used to drive a Land Rover SUV and my 300ZX was my daily driver. In order to cut monthly costs we "downgraded" to a Toyota Highlander and Corolla. In monthly fuel expenditures alone we saved over $100 and our yearly insurance costs decreased by $950. That is a yearly savings of over $2100, not to mention less maintenance costs as the Land Rover was always breaking down...so far the Toyotas have been bulletproof.

In the next few years as fuel costs continue to rise we will be well prepared to deal with it knowing that we have done everything we could have to minimize our costs of driving.

Last edited:
If you think about also everything that has to be done to oil to refine it and make gas for us we are still getting it fairly cheap. Now in my case I do care what fuel costs but I need it so I will just have to pay it and just use it more wisely now. I used to pull around 22 on the highway with my 2500 HD chevy with a Duramax and I am thinking about buying another one next year now.

olds97_lss said:
Don't count a four banger to get you better milage. Do research before you buy as I'm sure you will.

A mini cooper only averages around 30mpg. I get consistent 27 in my GrandMarquis with a v8 as long as I drive around 70mph with 40miles highway, 15miles bumper to bumper.

Less cylinders doesn't always mean better. My 96 ford contour with a 4, overhead cams, fuel injection averaged 24-25mpg. That thing sucked. And it was slow.

2003 Toyota Corolla 5-speed - 35mpg in the city...and that's not babying the car either.

97 honda civic 5 speed 190000 miles....37 mpg highway @ 85-90 mph. I won't go to anything else.

here in canada prices are um.....i dont know...company fuel card fills my 2001 durango and i belive reg is 99.9/L,and my 05 dodge truck is a deisel i think it's around 89/L,i get 12/L to the 100km in the durango and 17-20/L per 100km in my truck..so we are paying out the wazoo..but like eddy said you bought it so drive it.

vbgagnon said:
97 honda civic 5 speed 190000 miles....37 mpg highway @ 85-90 mph. I won't go to anything else.
Till another moose decides to hump your car on the way to work. :boxing:

a few points about topics discussed here inthis thread:
1st the rain forrests are plowed over by us because, hey it's not american soil why should we give a flying F right??
2nd Alaska is US soil.....we can't rape OUR land for OUR oil, Are you mad???
3rd the Soviet nations are almost completely ruled by anarchy now....they have 100 times the oil beds that the middle east has....why not help out nations that want to be our friends???? read "House of bush house of Saud"
4th we were told after 9/11 the prices of gas were going to be matching the UK within 5 years...that time is almost up, guess we're due for another de-sensitizing of gas cost hike any time now...holy crap it happened yesterday......gas went up almost .20/gal here.....
5th Crying is useless unless everyone does something about it.......don't buy saudi oil.....pull your head out of your ass and learn about your world......every desicion we make individually affects the whole nation.....I'm not saying to force people to make the decisions for everyone but if you arent making them on your own you have no reason to bitch......
6th Eddy has a point about making lifestyle decisions, did you know if you go to buy a car in the UK w/ an engine bigger than like 1.4L it's looked at as a gas hog???...why then do we all feel the NEED to own hotrods w/ a 5.6L engine???? because we can.....well guess what if you can't, then you need to be honest w/ yourself and change your lifestyle......

This weekend I'm going to attempt to pull the price of gas down with my LST. Video by Tuesday, If I feel you are worthy :rolleyes:

Mr T

I can sell you some gas....real good price too....only used it a littel and since I have been into gas for over 8 years, I know how to take care of it......you can use my gas for at least another few miles man......and I'll throw in some dirt at no extra charge

Ed brings up some strong points. First, for those that have the time or interest in these matters, market forecasts for fuel futures have been talking about how much crude may go up for at least 1-2 years now. Yes, it is partly market driven; look at the oil company profits. It is also driven by demand. Mainland China is sucking up all the oil they can buy. Our demand has not dropped either.

Also, Ed mentions other things that are affected by higher oil prices. Next time you are at CostCo, or Best Buy, and buy that pretty something or another there, in that big heavy gauge plastic vacuum packaging, think of how that could have been fuel in your tank. Plastic is a direct product from oil, with no realistic substitutes. Would you rather have that fancy packaging or oil? Or, what gets me, is people buying cantaloupes or some other fruit or vegetable that has "nature's" packaging, and then they double or triple bag it in those plastic bags the grocery store provides in the produce section. Why? Aren't you going to wash it anyhow before you eat it? Peel it before you eat it? More plastic in our waste dumps instead of oil for our fuel tanks.

As to bio-diesel, this is good technology that works, a great alternative, although I cannot use it in my rig as it will void the CAT's warranty, 10 years, but if I could, I'd be squeezing corn right now!

And Old's is right. In the '70's many cars were made with 4 cylinders, but by the early '80's many small cars were offered with a modest 6 cylinder, which produced more and smoother power, and all for about the same gas mileage. And a stock Jeep Wrangler gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. The short gears, shaped like a pig farmer's wife, and heavy for it's size. (3880 lbs) My '05 Denali gets better gas mileage than my '04 Jeep! The car I don't get is my Volvo C70 C turbo. Gets the same mileage as the Denali. You would think it got 50% better (30mpg) but it doesn't.

Um, try a fuel thirsty V-8 Mustang that gets 16 mpg HIGHWAY! It's my daily driver and I have nothing else I can drive to work. It's killing me since I have to use 93 in it too. Damn the horsepower Gods! Why did I listen to them?!?!?!?

Yeah, I hear ya MustangMan. The Denali gets about 16-18 on a good day. (or when my foot isn't buried in it) Premium around here is 3.09, diesel #2 is 3.19, regular unleaded is about 2.79. Need more billable hours!!!!!

well, looks like everyone loses, except for exxon, shell, chevron, and the others.

If you fill up every couple of days, it doesn't hurt as bad. (or seem that way)

I just fill up every day. It costs like $5 or so. I can deal with that.

Back