engine question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95ram

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
The other day I put my Tmaxx away after not being able to get it to fire after rebuilding the carb. I took it out last night and the motor wouldn't even turn over. So I pulled the motor again thinking it was the ez start. Once I got the ez start off it worked as it should. So, I start looking at the motor. I could not spin it over by hand. Anyway, I pulled the head and there was a bunch of gunk on top of the piston. I pulled the back of the motor off and it looks like it's all rusty. I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and say this aint right. Is the motor shot???

What would cause the rust in the crank??? Keep in mind I bought the thing prebeat.

I have a spare motor but the compression is pretty week. I was thinking about trading both of them in. I'd like to get a .21 or .26 but for less money I can have two new motors.

I doubt it's rust. The piston is aluminum and the sleeve is chrome plated brass. In most cases. It's possible that's not the exact combo, but normally steel/iron aren't found in the internals of these engines. Post a few pics. It'll probably make things a lot clearer.

Also take it down clean it up.

i've had this before,
all you need to do is clean it very well.
Use very hot water, soap, and a steel wool pad.
it will come clean!! just keep at it.
clean everything!!!!
When it is all clean soak it in WD-40 EVERYTHING!!!!!

good as new!

then seal your backplate and your done.
p.s. reset your carb to factory.
Also, when you sealed your carb, what did you seal?
Did you seal the needles?
if yes remove the sealant from the needles. and see if it will fire.
i;m wondering if you put too much sealant in there.
good luck

yea you just clean it with hot soapy water and WD-40 it after
it'll be fine

Also, when you sealed your carb, what did you seal?
Did you seal the needles?
if yes remove the sealant from the needles. and see if it will fire.
i;m wondering if you put too much sealant in there.
good luck

I used the original orings on the carb. Should I used RTV?
I used the original orings on the needles also. Should I use RTV on these to?
I tried to used as little high temp RTV as possible on the EZ start. I spread it with my finger, put the ez start on loose and let it dry for a while and then tightened everything up.

So are you guys thinking this is just build up. I bought this thing used and the motor was supposed to be new/just broke in. Supposedly with that and what i've run it there is only 1/2 gallon through the motor. I'm using S&W high performance 20% nitro. When I bought this the guy sent a gallon with it.

Thanks for the help guys.

th_P1010703-1.jpg

th_P1010700-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ehhh, that's actually rust and sludge. The piston won't rust, but the crankshaft and the rear starter shaft can. Go get some CLR or Lime-A-Way, soak those two parts in it for 10 minutes rinse in water then clean with alcohol or acetone. You will probably need to replace at least the rear larger bearing. As for the sleeve and piston they should clean up with the housing fine.

I would obviously try WD40 and some elbow grease first, but I think those parts did rust and leave sludge.

Is it worth trying to clean up or should I just get a new motor? Who knows what it's done to the piston a sleeve. This thing never held a tune and has alway been a PITA. How would this happen anyway? Anyone else ever have this happen?

Is it worth trying to clean up or should I just get a new motor? Who knows what it's done to the piston a sleeve. This thing never held a tune and has alway been a PITA. How would this happen anyway? Anyone else ever have this happen?

I would say that is a question that can be only answered by you. I could be wrong but it sounds like your wanting a new motor, you jsut need a lil push to get one. If the motor was a PITA and always cause you problems then I dont really see the point of spending $50-$75 on getting a new piston,sleeve, and rod, when you can put some more with it and get a new motor. I only gave $109 w/shipping (ebay) for my HPI big block. It was brand new and came iwth factory warranty. I would say forget it and get a new one if its in your budget. It sounds as if you will be WAY more satisfied with something that your positive what has been done to it and that it was broken in correctly. Just my :2cents:

It may not be bad.I woos just clean it up and check for leaks.I it is good then you don't have to spend over 100.00 on a motor and you can spend that money on something that you need.That is what I would do first.

Anyone have any ideas what would have caused this???

Got it all cleaned up and put back together. Runs like a top now. Thanks for the help guys.