Engine choice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenery

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys i'm looking for some opinions on a drop in engine for my 2.5. Should I just go with the 3.3 or is there a better option to go with? I'm pretty heavy on the throttle so it will need to be a durable motor and hold a decent tune and of course the more power the better. Unfortunately I do have limited funds so a reasonable price is always good to. I'm looking forward to reading your suggestions.

Personally I would go with an OS .18 over the 3.3. It's a great engine, reasonably priced, make a lot of power, and hold a tune great.

how much is an os 18? look on ebay and figure out how much you want to spend. there are alot of drop in motors for just a little more $ than the 3.3. i got my sirio for $160 on ebay and i can't say enough. love it.

Ofna Picco .26 Maxx JL Red Dot!

Which OS .18? It looks like there is a few different ones.
Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Ofna Picco .26 Maxx JL Red Dot!

Are they in stock anywhere ? I did a quick search and couldn't find one. Are they a direct drop in besides the mount?

Yup. Direct drop-in. A little fanangling with the throttle linkage and I was up and running. Be careful of the mount. Take your time with it. The screws should go in easily. If there's tension, don't keep turning!

Drop that Red Dot in to a stock 2.5 and get ready to replace drivelines, tranny gears etc. How much of the truck do you want to replace?

Drop that Red Dot in to a stock 2.5 and get ready to replace drivelines, tranny gears etc. How much of the truck do you want to replace?

Ya I kinda figured that seems how most of my driveshafts are already twisted. I'm guessing pretty much anything more than the 2.5 will stress the drivetrain more than it's designed for.

get the traxxas revo spec steel driveshafts, great performance, excellent durability, and not bad looking at all

There is some titanium dog bones etc on E-bay......you know,,f you NEVER want to have to replace it again....lol

The picco 0.26 is excellent, although it does find any week spots in the drive line, within a week I needed some new tranny gears so fitted a forward only conversion (highly recommended no more jerking) couple of days later the rear drive shafts were history and a couple of runs after that by by rear diff.

My advice is go 0.26 and replace the failures with upgrades when they happen. The massive torque and power will put a smile on your face though!

So I stopped by the lhs today and the guy there pretty much insisted that a traxxas replacement engine is the only way to go he thinks anything else will just cause me headaches. What do you guys think?

Okay...I have a 2.5 that I have no idea how old it is..or how much fuel has been through it. I've cooked it a few times cause I had never run one before and it is runing fine. My son has a 3.3 and it seems to have more than enough power to pop the front end at will. Unless you are planning on racing, or want to be the "bad" boy on the block, these engines seem to have enough(2.5) or more than enough(3.3) power for bashing and having lots of fun. I really like the engine that Rolex has suggested because it is cheap and offers more power, but probably will not tear the drivetrain out of the truck.
I guess what I am saying is YOU have to decide what it is that YOU want to do with your truck (race it or have fun with it). If funds are an issue, then a .26 red dot is probably not a good choice as in the long run you are looking at about $400 - $600 to actually run it, as it WILL tear the drivetrain out of a stock truck.
Just my opinion.....

Back