Droop...Important???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j0olz

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
how important is droop in a 1/8 buggy? i am running no droop what so ever on my kanai and it seems to be handlig well but I'm confident i can get better handling... how would i go about setting droop on my kanai?????

i think droop is important... my buggy is really loose when i gas it the rear sags alot and then when i stop the front does the same. I dont have any spacers in the shocks i think thats better because it isnt as easy to flip or go on 2 wheels like i always do when i have spacers in.

Suspension "sag" is a very important part of the setup equation. If you have zero sag especially for an off-road vehicle, it will make it difficult to control and very bouncy. It will tend to rebound off every little bump and seam on the track, instead of absorbing the variances and allowing the wheels to follow the contours of the bumps.

I used to have a link to a GREAT setup guide - must have gone defunct...too bad - it was awesome!

Found another one...not nearly as good though:

http://www.rcingreece.com/RC Car Handling 101/sg/buggy/print.htm

Originally posted by Retread316
I used to have a link to a GREAT setup guide - must have gone defunct...too bad - it was awesome!

At the time I sent you the link, you said you were going to download the info file, Did you?
The original link

Its a shame when such great info gets lost forever. I didn't save the file :doh:

Me neither...didn't get around to it! Crap-O-La!

Exact same link I've got bookmarked too...

:banana:

Doh!

I did a google search of Bruno Elvo (see the link)....lookie what I found! I'm downloading the whole file.

http://users.pandora.be/elvo/

:banana:

DANG! He put a ton of great work and knowledge into this thing!

thanks guys, dialing my buggy tommorow night...

Sag is very important, your suspension should be able to go down, just as well as go up, to drop into holes and suck up bumps. I set up my buggy so that when i set it down, the front suspension arms are level, and the rear dogbones are level. That sets it perfect, some people may think this is to low, but overall it is definitely a great setup.

I wish I could find an old article I read on 'sprung' and 'unsprung' weight.

As good as it is, its enough to make you go crazy watching your suspension on the track.

Droop is all a part of it.

Anyone ???

maybe i'll bring my Video cam next time & set it up on various parts of the track. when i get home i could critique tire/surface contact issues in slow mo. seriously, this would be a great idea.

btw, i like to set my ride up like kyle5050 for handling. the problem is i usually need to use heavy shock oil to keep from bottoming hard off the jumps. if i use light oil, which handles well, i get spectacular sparks flying from my motor mount bolts upon landing, along with 2 years worth of stress on the chassis.

i think the ideal setup lies somewhere in between heavy oil & a high ride.