Do You Really Need a Kanai or $800 Buggy to Win?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to understand that RobH will defend himself up to his very last breath on whatever purchase his wife lets him make.

We all know he is grateful even to own a buggy but I fail to understand why he can't admit it isn't on the same level as an upper end buggy.

You will also see that he will dig his heals in even harder and stand his ground the more wrong he is.

You need to take NoviceRob for what he is; Someone who is proud of what hes begged so hard to get.

-Ed

Originally posted by Jeff Cain
Of course if you don't bother with chassis setup, brake bias, clutch tuning, engine tuning, powerful engine, strong fast servo's, right exhaust, or the right tires you'll never see the full potential of that $800 buggy. If you're on a budget, maybe you get a Lightning Pro, kick ass running gear, and upgrade to a better buggy later. Or maybe a MBX-5 and go for top of the line components next year. Radio gear and engine will usually be more expensive than the chassis itself ($300 engine, $100 exhaust, $250 in servos, radio and rx pack $250 ish, $100 starter box=$1000) Add on $200 in tires if you want to hook up worth a damn.

Either way, you may very well need to invest over $1k to be halfway competitive.

This is not the class to race if you want to race for cheap. Period.

Nope its not, and thats why you dont see many younger kids out there racing them either.

DOWN WITH ALL THE NAY SAYER'S!!!! :stick:
I am not going to go to battle again....been there, done that. HB has put out a nice product(as far as I'm concerned). We'll see if it takes off. If it does, great, if it doesn't....oh well, it is great for what I am using it for. I have driven a few other low-end buggies (MBX-Pro for 1). I can only say that I will not be giving up my HB right now.

Originally posted by FastEddy
You have to understand that RobH will defend himself up to his very last breath on whatever purchase his wife lets him make.

We all know he is grateful even to own a buggy but I fail to understand why he can't admit it isn't on the same level as an upper end buggy.

You will also see that he will dig his heals in even harder and stand his ground the more wrong he is.

You need to take NoviceRob for what he is; Someone who is proud of what hes begged so hard to get.

-Ed

Right there is one guy I wish I could put no my ignore list.

This here is good bit of bullshit:
... I fail to understand why he can't admit it isn't on the same level as an upper end buggy.

Eddy you obviously don't even read the buggy threads.

The Lightning Pro is not on the same level as the mbx5 and the k2's and k3's. I think Jeff put it best when he said "it's a slightly upgraded Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5" By that he means the kit version and not the Sports. The Inferno kit costs $500 before you put an engine, radio and exhaust on it. The Lightning will cost you $300 and comes with everything you need to turn the wheels except a radio.

The Lightning Pro is a good kit to buy if you don't have initial funds to buy a new engine and exhaust for the kit. It's something you can build on.

Eddy, I think your setup is good. You didn't go nuts with the mbx5 or a K2. For less than $400 you got really damn good kit that also beats out the Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5. You, however, had to buy an engine ($270) and exhaust (like $60?).

Not everyone has $800 to make a buggy go. The Lightning Pro for $300 won't get you to Storm Pro/OS VZ-B status, but it gives you a solid chassis you can build on. Save up another $300 down the road for a kick ass racing mill and you're well on your way.

The Lightning Pro is the pay as you buggy.

If you were to read my rescent advice, you'd see that I recommend a setup like yours to the folks that have the funds.

My point before was that HB doesn't know how the Lightning Pro compares because he's never seen one. I was not going to go out of my way to tell CRSMP5 I think he's wrong, but I didn't mean to imply that I was agreeing with him either.

As far as the rest of your post, being one of the senior members on the forum, Eddy, you really should set an example and steer away from the childish insults.

Also, Jeff you'd have to spend months reading the whole forum to find all of HB's little pokes and bullshit he has given me. One of the bext examples I can't talk about because it's in the pay-to-read forum. It eventually errupted into a flame battle in the Free-For-All forum (located at the bottom of the General Chaos forum). It has since been cleaned out.

Last edited:
there go those heels diggin in!:jet:

Originally posted by RobH
the Lightning Pro is not on the same level as the mbx5 and the k2's and k3's. I think Jeff put it best when he said "it's a slightly upgraded Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5" By that he means the kit version and not the Sports. The Inferno kit costs $500 before you put an engine, radio and exhaust on it. The Lightning will cost you $300 and comes with everything you need to turn the wheels except a radio.

The Lightning Pro is a good kit to buy if you don't have initial funds to buy a new engine and exhaust for the kit. It's something you can build on.

Eddy, I think your setup is good. You didn't go nuts with the mbx5 or a K2. For less than $400 you got really damn good kit that also beats out the Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5. You, however, had to buy an engine ($270) and exhaust (like $60?).

Not everyone has $800 to make a buggy go. The Lightning Pro for $300 won't get you to Storm Pro/OS VZ-B status, but it gives you a solid chassis you can build on. Save up another $300 down the road for a kick ass racing mill and you're well on your way.

It's like you think we are gimps and don't see that it is a more economical buggy, but with that come trade offs. Look at someone like Jeff Cain, it is obvious he races and know's wtf he talking about. He talks about all the same stuff that is on all us racers minds. Why don't you just go start racing for a season come back here and tell us your opinion of your buggy again. Already said the HB Lightning Pro is a fine buggy what part of that is not sinking in? It is just not the best buggy or even in the top 3 for that matter, but rationalize all you want.

My point before was that HB doesn't know how the Lightning Pro compares because he's never seen one. [/B]

Just because I said this months ago you still think the situation holds true? You sure know everything about me, I mean you really do your research.

RobH,
You don't have to try and justify your purchase to us, were not your wife. Don't you feel as board as us at your repetitive explanations and justification of your purchase? You have defended your position so many times that it has become almost invisible. Its kind of like a nagging wife of someone I know, It just gets tuned out.

As far as trying to insult you, No. If you took my post as an insult you have even deeper issues to work out and thats best taken care of in a different forum. People choose products for different reasons. I was just giving a new member some incite on where you were coming from.

You have a great knowledge if the HB Buggy. You should save your writing skills for people who need help with it. I know that not many of the users here at RCNT have one. In the spirit of RC Brotherhood maybe you can find another forum with more users like you so you can better serve the HB community. This goes hand in hand with wanting me on your ignore list. Its real easy to ignore my posts as well as everyone else's, Don't log on.

-Ed

Humboldt, Other than your first sentance and the last one, that was really well put together well and worth the trouble to take you off the ignore list.

I can't agree with you more. I make no claims to knowing anything about buggy racing. Next season, that's all going to change. I've already invested in my new mill. I'm even kicking around the idea of picking up a new Lightning Pro because this one is sloppy from all the abuse. It'll be race only from here on out -- live and learn.

I haven't been reading Jeff Cain's posts. I will check them out. thanks.

I guess I have to take back the 0-things-worth-reading comment now.

-Rob

My purchase is justified. I want another one. I love it. That's all that matters. I, however, was the first one on this board to buy one. All the crap I've taken because of it is why I stay on the band wagon. I'm not a female pee pee that follows the pack and hides behind what other people think is a good idea. I'll make up my own mind and the only person I have justify anything to is myself.

Eddy come to the free for all with me.

-Rob

My lightning RTR owns all. I mean come on. Put a big enought engine in it, toss on some carbon, beef up the towers, put a good set of tires on it and it will own all. My jedi powers of driving scare the other racers into a false sense of security and then bam, there I am at the front of the pack. The best thing to do before a race is watch the dukes of hazzard and listen to eminem, no need to tune suspensionm hell don't even think of tweakin the mill a tad leaner.

Originally posted by error401
The best thing to do before a race is watch the dukes of hazzard and listen to eminem....

Actually, I prefer to watch Saved by the Bell and listen to the New Kids on the Block.:breakdown

ROFLMAO!!!!! "Hangin Tough!"

Originally posted by RobH
Eddy come to the free for all with me.
-Rob

I can see you graduated from the "Choose ya under the Jungle Jim at 3:20".

Ill tell you what, Start the thread (If your wife will let you) and Ill see you there. Do me just one favor, Hold your breath untill I stoop to your level.

-Ed

New Kids on the Block? For race day it's System of a Down and old Metallica for me (with a little Ozzy mixed in).

Yeah, I like System a Down.

I like to listen to Rammstein, Pennywise, The Offspring, GodSmack. Anything fast!

Must be a carry over from my motorcycle racing psyche up...

Ok, whos got the train wreck pic? HB, step on up.

Rammstein is the poop. I wish they'd release more here in the States. :cheers:

VacPwr1.jpg

Back