Do you need to use After Run Oil?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickyo007

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi,

I have got a Hobao Hyper 7 1/8th model, .21cc nitro car, should I be using After Run Oil in it after each use?? Or do you not really need this...

If so, how do you use after run oil??

Thanks all.

Hi,

I have got a Hobao Hyper 7 1/8th model, .21cc nitro car, should I be using After Run Oil in it after each use?? Or do you not really need this...

If so, how do you use after run oil??

Thanks all.

Personally i always use ARO. I pull the plug and drop about 10 drops in the top and drop about 8 through the carb.....

Then i rotate the engine a few times

i know it might be over kill but i don't want to risk it.

All depends on your fuel and how long you go in between runs. If it's going to sit more than 1-2 weeks...I typically drop 2-3 drops of ARO inside....if not I don't bother. My fuel has plenty of oil in it to keep things lubed. If storing for the winter I will put ARO in it though.

If you want to save yourself a bunch of money on ARO go to your local parts store and buy some Marvel Mystery Oil, it is the same stuff and way cheaper, like $3-4 a quart. And when i ran nitro i always put a few drops in the carb hole and turned it over a couple of time

Personally i always use ARO. I pull the plug and drop about 10 drops in the top and drop about 8 through the carb

Putting ARO in the carb can ruin the o rings in the carb...Not a good idea! Put the drop throught the top and tunr the engine over, it will spread everywhere.

Putting ARO in the carb can ruin the o rings in the carb...Not a good idea! Put the drop throught the top and tunr the engine over, it will spread everywhere.

That's odd. i've never had a problem with air leak. but i also open the carb all the way to make sure it gets on the crank directly.

Aro

Thank you all for the advice. Just to confirm then; I take the glow plug out, put a few drops of ARO oil in, resecure the glow plug then do I actually start the car up and drive it for a bit, if so how long ?

Thanks guys

Ricky

Running the car straight after 'after run oil' will defeat the purpose of using it. As stated before, you only really need it if your going to let the car sit for 1-2 weeks. Me personally, i've never used ARO ever, but thats because I'm a cheap bastard, and yeah keep it out of the carb.

Thank you all for the advice. Just to confirm then; I take the glow plug out, put a few drops of ARO oil in, resecure the glow plug then do I actually start the car up and drive it for a bit, if so how long ?

Thanks guys

Ricky

Pull the plug, put the ARO in, rotate the crank with the flywheel a couple times, set the engine at bottom dead center. Done.

If you want to save yourself a bunch of money on ARO go to your local parts store and buy some Marvel Mystery Oil, it is the same stuff and way cheaper, like $3-4 a quart. And when i ran nitro i always put a few drops in the carb hole and turned it over a couple of time

Not in the carb hole; through the plug hole, bump on starter box withy throttle open wide. My O.S. manual says make your own with half Marvel Mystery Oil and half automatic transmission fluid.

Buzz this stuff in with your starter box after you attempted to burn any fuel still left in engine with glow ignitor attached and fuel line disconnected. Use ARO after you run engine every time even if you are running the next day. It dissolves the castor oil gunk from fuel.

Thanks guys

Ricky

You don't need to start the car again, just turn the engine over a few times by pulling the pullstart, or if you have a rotostart hit it a few times. The idea is to coat the inner workings if the engine so that there is no corrosion. if you are not going to run the car again for a week or so it is even more important to use ARO.

:Washington_National:redbuggy:

As cheap as after run is, it's really a no-brainer. How 'bout this; name some good reasons not to use After run oil.:)

Well, you've got more than enough good replies, but I'll offer my experience for what it's worth. I used to use Marvel Mystery oil. Always seemed to work well for me. I have a very old Kyosho road car with a .11 engine that still runs fine. I always treated it with the Marvel oil.

Now, I use Hobbico After-Run Oil. Does seem very similar to the Marvel oil. I follow my user manual instructions regarding whether or not to put drops in the carburator.

Personally, I put a few drops in the cylinder head (and the carburator, if the manual says to) after every time out with my models. It only takes a few moments and it's dirt cheap. I'm not an expert on the subject, but nitro fuel contains alcohol which attracts moisture that can cause corrosion. The after-run oil will protect your engine from this situation. I enjoy maintaining my models, so using the oil is just part of my maintenance regimen after every outting.

The maintenance instructions for my XTM XST truggy recommend using after-run oil in the carburator. The instructions for my MGT 8.0 say NOT to put the oil in the carburator.

Last edited:
The idea of ARO, is too dissipate any nitro left in the engine which will eat any aluminum parts and turn them black!

You MUST spin the engine with the glow plug removed to pump out any residual fuel, then put in a good quantity of ARO and spin again pumping it out so that it pulls out all fuel, then place several drops through the glow plug hole and turn the engine by hand to coat all moving parts well.

Over time, and this means every time an engine is run with nitro fuels, the nitro will eat the aluminum rod and piston, and will also corrode the steel crank bearings.
:D

Actually, the instructions for my Associated MGT 8.0 say NOT to put after-run oil in the carburator.

Back