Diggers dad

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My Dad finally went to the hospital. He is 75, diabetes has been hard on him. Everyone has been trying to get him to go for sometime.

Would like to share with ya the way I find this out. As most of you know I work second shift. I come in Tuesday night, have a couple of beers and talk to the 'ol lady 30 minutes or so. Then I check my e-mail. Here is the message I get.
Hi
James went to the hospital today. They hadn't put him in a room when I left.
Love you.
Mom

That was the whole message. I totally freaked out! Late at night, don't really want to call anyone. Not enough common sense in me to call the hospital. Really scared me and I guess I just went into some kind of idiot mode.
Next morning I call to see what is going on. Must have been a little harsh with my Mom. Wife told me later that day I needed to apologize to Mom, which I did.

But send me an e-mail to tell me that my Dad is in the hospital? I actually work across the road from where my parents live. Call me at work or send someone over, but not a damn e-mail. I guess she wasn't thinking and I'm not mad at her or anything like that.

Good news, he is eating. Gaining some strength. His sugar is down and his blood pressure is about right. They are worried about his kidney's. There is one hell of a nurse up there. Not his nurse, but she likes Dad and is really looking after him. One of those rare people that really care. Doctor talked like he may get to come home next week.

Sorry for the long post.
Dad has got real feeble in the last year or so. Really hard. I know Mom has had it rough taking care of him.

Thanks for listening guys.
Kenneth

Glad to hear he is doing better man. Hang in there, I'm sure everyones a bit stressed and not thinking clearly.. I feel for ya bro, it's real tough when your parents fall ill... Diabetes runs in my family, and has taken a few from me.. Do yourself a favor, and get checked now.. It can be treated early on...
My best wishes to you and your family..

as your parents get old it get harder this is the first year both of parents been sick and i mean really sick...i feel for you bro spend as much with them as you can...make it as special as you can you will remember it for a life time....God bless them
p.s no matter how much mom gets you mad...be kind to her..

Glad to hear your dad is doing a little better. Emails suck but is how I hear about my dad being in the hospital (his home away from home). I normally hear about it 2 or 3 days later as an after thought from, you guessed it, mom. I guess it doesn't help that I am 2 time zones away from home, at least you are close if you are needed. I admit, at least a phone call would be nice. Hang in there, take Broken's advice and have yourself checked.

Thoughts are with ya. Going through similar crap with my grandfather right now.

Lost both sets of grandparents some years ago.

My grandmother on Mom's side was real strong willed and independent. If she didn't like you, she would come right out and tell you. Just didn't care.
I remember one Christmas, I hadn't been divorced very long. (1985?) Just had started dating the woman that I am still with. First time my grandmother had met her...
"Granny" was real feeble at that time. Couldn't get out of the chair she was sitting in without help. But she managed to get a death-grip on the 'ol lady's hand. Looked her straight in the eye and said, "Don't you ever hurt my grandson." She really scared the 'ol lady.

Her funeral was at the church that she attended. Pastor giving the eulogy. He said when he first met her was at the front door. (Old school small church. Pastor stands at the door and shakes everyone's hand as they leave.) He said Granny shook his hand, looked at him and said, "I don't like you, but I'll be back next week and we'll see." I lost it. My grandmother's funeral and I can't stop laughing.
I could just imagine her saying that and the pastor standing there not knowing what to say. Just the way she was. I really miss her.

Jet I hope you get to spend a lot more quality time with your grandfather. Wish you the best Bro.

Not mad at Mom for sending the news by e-mail, but that was a real hard night for me. I'm right across the road at work and about 4 miles when I'm at home.
Took her to see him today. Enough snow here that she didn't need to be out.
Pretty slick. I'm trying to do what I can. It's real hard. He is getting real emotional. Say some little thing to him and he want's to start crying. To beat it all, we lost a friend Friday. Guy that was Dad's age, but I worked with him. Dad liked him a lot. Passed away in the same hospital. Really hard to deal with all the crap going on right now.

I've lost a lot of friends, lost a brother.
I lost a girlfriend when she was 21. I think I would have married that little girl and still think about her at times.

Dad is doing a lot better today. His face lit up when he saw Mom, then he asked what she was doing there. (roads being slick) After he realized I was there, he was OK.

Guess I made another long post... Just excuse me.
You guys are great and hopefully I am going to meet some of ya.....

Glad to hear your dad is doing better!

Glad to hear Dad is doing better. Times like these it makes me think of my own parents and how much I'd miss them if something happened. Hope everything works out for the best.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Great group of guys.

Sorry again for the long posts. Kinda emotional right now. Like I said it has been real hard watching him go downhill.
I know I should get myself checked. Thanks again for listening.

Hey Digger,

Sorry I missed this one. I have not been able to be online much the last couple of days. I am sorry to hear about your Dad, but am glad to hear that he is doing better. I know it sucks watching your parents get older. I know it has been tough just watching my dad slow down over the years. He is only in his 50's but I can remember as a kid, that nothing slowed him down... now after just a couple of hours of working in the yard and he is sore for the next few days.

I hope things continue to go well for you and your father. Stay positive and if you ever need to talk just let me know.

Tom

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I know just what you are going through. Spend as much time with him as you can and let him know you are there for him. Have no regrets. Stay upbeat and positive for him.

I hope he gets well and gets to come home soon.

-Rob

Digger, I hope your Pop is back up and around soon! I'm sure it's tough to go through, but know we're all here for ya.

As for your Mom e-mailing you, I have the answer. She probably didn't want to worry you. My Mom uses that excuse on me all the time and it drives me bonkers! "Honey, I didn't want to bother (or worry or interrupt) you with a call." I finally had to sit her down and have a come to Jesus speech with her, sharing that, while I certainly do appreciate the concern, sending an e-mail telling me my Dad had to be rushed to the ER because he nearly cut his damn hand off is not my preferred mode of communication! I have more flippin' telephone numbers than a small town, USE ONE!

Anyhow, your Mom had the best intentions and she needs her son to help her through this, she just may not admit it to you.

Take care, brother! We're all here for ya!

I know what kind of boat you're in, Digger; my mom is borderline diabetic... She's in her early 60's, and trying to get it under control. I'm definately saying a few kind words for you and your father tonight...

Digger ....those nurses are the best...the ones that go out of thier way to care for you or your loved ones. I had a nurse save my youngest sons life by recognizing symptoms the doc was ignoring....scary.

Anyway glad to here he is at least getting stable. I will send a few prayers up for ya. Keep your spirits up!!!

i lost my dad when I was 10 yrs old. Damn i miss that man!!!

Tell your dad you love him..even if he doesn't tell it to you. I will pray for yours and i hope everything is for the better.

Stay Strong.

I'm really sorry about your dad, Digger. Keep positive and hope for the best! Good Luck!

Been putting off this post as long as I can.
Nothing serious. Just hard to talk about.
He is doing pretty good. Doing a colonostopy (sp?) on him today. Told Mom I would take off from work if she wanted me to. I know it's not a serious thing, but she is worried what they will find.

Figure I got through on that e-mail poop. Think she will call next time.
I worry about Mom too. Sister just got divorced, moved back in with 2 grandkids. She is really stresed. plus taking care of Dad.

Thanks again for all the well wishes. Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Hope it turns out alright, Digger.

You know, though, you'd think with all the technology and medical advances these geniuses have come up with over the years, they'd come up with a better way of checking your plumbing than this way, wouldn't you?

I know it's off topic, but my Dad seems to think it's a good conversation starter to regale the family with details of his colonoscopy and I could frankly do without it!

Anyhow, best wishes, Digger! I'm sure it'll be alright in the end!

My sister came by work last night.
Dad had a colonostomy (sp?) yesterday. He quit breathing during the procedure. On a resperator now, but trying to breath on his own.
I left work soon after. Couldn't do anything for Dad, but I just clocked out and left work. No sense in me being there. Wasn't going to be able to do much work. Mind wasn't in it, liable to get hurt.

Part of the family went up an hour ago. Getting ready to leave now for the hospital.

Put off going as long as I could this morning. Family trying get hold of me as I was on the way. (this goofy hillbilly doesn't like phones enough to have a cell)

Got there about the time they were starting the "family meeting," guess is what you would call it. Dad told the doctor when he first went in not to hook him up to any machines to keep him alive. His heart and kidneys are bad. Doctor said something about brain damage. Maybe where he quit breathing? I couldn't understand him that well. Mom and my sister had been there longer than I had, so I know they asked a lot of questions.

About the time the meeting was over and the nurse asked if we wanted the hospital Chaplin, I left. Just couldn't be there.
Back and forth all day running errands. Just avoiding it. Could be hours, days, weeks....
Finally went up there. Couldn't stay long. He is on oxygen and morphine. Gasping for air. Whispered in his ear that I loved him and left.

I'm going to miss him. But it's weird. I lost it, but I felt better. Guess I felt like I was telling him goodbye.

Right now I am hoping he will go soon and not lay there suffering.

Back