Cooling Head

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well guys,with new thread count being down and no VRC racing i get bored in the evening. I happened to have the cooling head off of my Savage and was tinkering with an idea of custom machining it.

Here's what I.came up with, what do you all think? Should I machine it?

I know it'll be fragile on those pointed tips,but it's really a shelf queen design. Rolex? It is a machinable design I can easily do. The pic is actual scale for the HPI "chubby" cooling head but could be adapted to others.

BTW, it doesn't matter what yor answers are, it will get done eventually ha ha ha :yes:

flamedhead.JPG

I say why not? I'd love to have the tools to mill out parts.

If it's a shelf queen heady only I think it's totally awesome. I think the cooling properties would be out of whack though if it were used.

If it's a shelf queen heady only I think it's totally awesome. I think the cooling properties would be out of whack though if it were used.

I agree, for a shelf queen I think it looks great! For a runner, I wouldn't do it. But I really like the design.

And if you are bored I can send you more parts from my Ricky bike :D

I think that's an amazing design. If you make a larger head with that pattern you could get the same amount of cooling.

You don't think you'd lose some cooling effectiveness in the exhaust area? The rear of the chamber is generally already slightly hotter due to the nature of things. I would think the lack of surface area may exacerbate the situation. But hey, I'm no engineer.

you'd be surprised at how much of the cooling head you can lose and still keep temps good. I have seen several buggies break their cooling head off or in half and still come in under 240F after 30 minutes of racing.

I think it's a cool idea and would probably run ok like others said, but be a bit more fragile.

you'd be surprised at how much of the cooling head you can lose and still keep temps good. I have seen several buggies break their cooling head off or in half and still come in under 240F after 30 minutes of racing.

Case in point:
2009-0912-JatoCutHeadPieceBesideHead.jpg

That's a TRX engine even (usually hot runners). Runs around 240 all day long. Too bad my purpose was to avoid cracked crank cases only to find out that it's chassis slap that's been causing my issues... Meh, live and learn!

You don't think you'd lose some cooling effectiveness in the exhaust area? The rear of the chamber is generally already slightly hotter due to the nature of things. I would think the lack of surface area may exacerbate the situation. But hey, I'm no engineer.

If you make a larger head with that pattern you could get the same amount of cooling.

Like I said before, this is the "chubby" head which is way larger than the stock head anyway. I think it'll be just fine if I run it. I'm not an engineer either, but I know a lot of things engineers say won't work will in fact work just fine.

Engineers....don't get me started. They should have to use and work on everything they design for 2 years before their great ideas are released. i work in a plant full of "It looks good on paper" numbnuts....

Back