Computer Problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Since yesterday, I've had a real problem with the RCNT site, after it had the server problem. I don't know if it's related.
I have to refresh EVERY single page to mark threads as read, or to see them highlighted as unread. If I post, and click 'back', I have to hit Refresh to show my post. I hit back again, to that thread page, and have to Refresh again to show that I've added to it.
I hit back again, then have to refresh the main forum page to show that I've added to it.
Same thing when I read a post. After reading it, I also have to hit 'Mark page as read', then refresh each page including the main page.
I have deleted cookies and temporary internet files, both through the Tools, Internet options menu and through Windows Explorer. Each method shows me a blank page after deleting files, but when I go back in, the temporary internet files are still there. The cookies delete, but temp files keep coming back.
I think the 'Refresh' problem is somehow related to yesterday's server issue and even WoodiE suggested I delete cookies and temp files. I've done this over a half dozen times, and can not correct the problem.
Last night I even ran Roxio GoBack, to revert the computer to more than 12 hours prior to the server issue, and still nothing has changed.
Why won't my temp files delete? I've never run into this before.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Here's an update:
I ran Roxio GoBack again. This time I went back 5 days, just after the point when I last ran a full virus scan.
I knew the old cookies would come back, so I went back again and deleted cookies and temporary internet files. This time, instead of instantly giving me a blank page, I saw the progress bar as they were being moved into the recycle bin. That, now, seemed like everything was normal again.
I emptied the Norton recycle bin, then rebooted.
I opened this site again, and still had the 'refresh' problem.
I checked, and all the temporary internet files were still in the folder. AGAIN.
I'm at my wit's end with this.
I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of a computer wizard to offer a solution.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Here's the next update, several hours later. I've done things and gotten on and off this site a couple of dozen times to see if I got it corrected. No change. I did figure out why temp internet files were not deleting. I had to check "off line content". Finally they were deleted and didn't return.
So, we're still dealing with the 'refresh' issue.

Last edited:
I'm just bumping this thread up, since it's now Monday morning, and all the computer geniuses are around.
I'm desperately in need of advise on this.

you're using firefox, I think?? right?

EDIT:

Assuming so, try this: go to tools -> options. I think it will dump you into the "privacy" section. If not, click it on the left. Now go down to the and click on the "cache" option. It looks like mine defulted to 50000 KB (or 50 megs).

I think it's possible that firefox is caching the pages you see instead of downloading them again (hence the refresh). Drop that cache number down to 0 KB (no caching). Next close all the firefox windows and bring it back up.

This is not how things are supposed to work, but it may be a work around for you. If you're on broadband, it won't be a very noticeable change anyway.

PS I'm using firefox here at work and I had no problems after the server thingy over the weekend. I'm also running win2k which isn't your normal Windows 98 or Windows XP situation.

Last edited:
Rolex, did you try to delete all your cookies and temporary internet files again? I seemed to be having the same problem when I first got on today. I'd read a thread, then when I went back to that forum, that thread would still be shown as unread. I cleared all my cookies through Firefox and IE and then tried again. It's working fine now.

I use mostly IE, but sometimes Firefox. I've deleted all the cookies, Temp Internet files, and off line content. Not through Firefox, though. I'll give it a try.
.........................................................................................................
Just deleted cookies and temp files again, then went to Firefox. Also 50,000. Set it to zero.
Got on here again, IE, same thing. Firefox, same. The only advantage I noticed was that with Firefox, I only had to refresh the main page, other than every page I backed up.
I just don't understand why this started, and why I can't correct it.

Last edited:
it is weird. Try this on IE. Tools -> Internet Options -> settings -> check for newer versions -> every visit

I don't understand how this problem can exist on IE and firefox. Unless firefox uses some of the internet optoins (check for newer versions). I donno. Give this a shot.

I've already tried that. Normally it was set for automatic. Either way, same problem. I've been trying different settings both in Firefox, and IE. Same thing.
When I change that setting, I only have the Okay button available on that window, but not the Apply button on the main. Is that normal?
.....................................................................................................
I just changed it to: Every visit to that page (again)
Then closed IE, and rebooted. Still the same.

Last edited:
Rolex, the same exact thing is going on with me. You click the "back" button and it doesn't refresh it like it used to a couple days ago. I also tried everything you did.

OK, I will now join the crowd. I deleted all my temp and cookie files and am getting the same. If I read a thread then click <back>, the thread I just read doesn't appear as read. I'm assuming you guys are having the same trouble?

Rolex Iam still haveing the same problem..So now instead of clicking back I just click on new threads.. this is working for now.

Candyman said:
OK, I will now join the crowd. I deleted all my temp and cookie files and am getting the same. If I read a thread then click <back>, the thread I just read doesn't appear as read. I'm assuming you guys are having the same trouble?
That is correct.........So, it was due to the server problem, I guess, or perhaps a problem there that still exists. I wonder why it isn't everyone, though.
In the last few days, I've spent COUNTLESS hours trying to figure this out.

I'm getting the same on IE AND Firefox.

Is this the only option left, or is it just a server problem. Do you think it's possible that only some of us have this issue, due to the time we got on or were trying to get on that day?

From the help file:

To uninstall Internet Explorer

If you encounter problems that you cannot resolve, it is often beneficial to uninstall Internet Explorer and then reinstall it. This procedure replaces files that might have been damaged.

In Windows, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
Notes

If you are using Windows XP, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
If you upgraded to Internet Explorer 6, when you uninstall Internet Explorer 6, you will go back to the version of Internet Explorer that was on your computer before you upgraded.

HAHAHAHA. It's doing the same thing to me. Click a "new" thread. go back. it's still new. Hit refresh, not new anymore.

I don't browse the board this way. I use the new posts and now the active threads links. After I have one of those lists on the screen, I right click and open in new window on the threads I want to read.

I don't have a clue when this changed for me as I never gave notice to it. I hardly use the back button. I just close a window when I'm done with a given thread.

I guess this is happening to a lot of people that just haven't noticed it yet. After everything I've been through on my computer, I knew it couldn't be in here anymore.
I think it's the current server, messing with us because we're leaving it.
Obviously nothing more I can do here, so I'll wait for the server switch.

I wondered about something else in the last couple of days since this started, and today it was confirmed.
When I first get on this site, I see all the squares in yellow that have new posts since my last visit.
I started going through them, still having to manually refresh to mark as read, or show my new post. There were numerous forums I hadn't gotten to yet, but I left the computer on the site while I fed, and then went out with my dog. 20 minutes later I get back here, hit the refresh to show new posts or threads, and now only one forum was shown as having a new post. All the others, including the ones I hadn't gotten to yet, were now gray squares, meaning I had read them, even though I hadn't even clicked on them yet.
For the last few days I've had to look at the time posts were made just to make sure if they were new or old.

Okay, this is becoming a real problem. I got on a little while ago, and most of the forums had the yellow square, indicating that there were new posts or threads there since my first visit. After reading the new posts in one of the forums, I then hit refresh to mark them as 'read' and went back to the main page.
I refreshed the main page to show that forum as read, and suddenly I had only 2 yellow squares. The posts there had been made in the 5 minutes I had been reading the other threads.
I have no choice but to look at the time the posts were made to know if I've read them.
Anyone know why this is happening, or how I can correct it?

WoodiE said:
Refresh problems that a few members where experiencing should be fixed now, if not try once more to clear your cookies and temp files, log out then log back in.

Rolex (and anyone else who's been effected), just so you know I did another test. I found a "new" thread. I clicked it. I clicked back and POOF, it's marked as 'read' without having to refresh the page. Is it workin for you now?

WoodiE PMd me last night about the problem. I don't know what he did on his end, but he suggested I go to 'tools' 'internet options', then delete cookies and temporary internet files, then LOG OFF, not just X out like I usually do, then log back on. The first time I did it, nothing changed, so I did it again, but after logging off, I shut down, then did a cold boot.
If anyone else was having the 'refresh' problem try that. I'm pretty much back to normal here.
Thanks again, WoodiE.

Back