Can I charge a Spektrum G2 lipo with a standard charger?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambdapriest

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Picked up an Arrma Granite Grom the other day. It's a fantastic little truck, for what it is - but the G2 battery is a pain.

I would like to switch the truck to run on a different style of battery; but I don't want to just throw out the Spektrum G2 battery it came with, nor am I interested in buying a Spektrum Smart Charger for one battery.

The G2 battery has a positive wire, a negative wire, and a pin in the middle; is this the same as the positive / negative / balance port setup on my 2s shorty lipos? Can I make or buy an adapter that will let me charge the battery on a standard charger, or should I just eat the cost and move on?

(Also: soliciting suggestions on cheap 2s stick packs that'll work in the truck!)

sure .thought there might be a adapter but dint find much. you can charge it but can't balance it unless you make a balance plug and one that fits the Spektrum one.it can be done

Were it me, I'd move the pack on. G2 packs can only be charged by a [Spektrum] smart charger-or so the pack says.

I bought into the Spektrum G2 'smart pack' system with the S1100 charger and one each 2s and 3s pack. Still having to hassle with the charger settings and function. Get a voltage read-out. Never sure what the pack balance is. Much prefer my old 'dumb' charging system over the G2. Almost at the point of selling the charger on Ebay and eating the two smart packs.

That said, I do like the ic3 connector. Center pin not withstanding. Connector is just large enough to handle easily; but not so large as it becomes bulky.

As far as battery packs go, my two standards are gensacearespammers and ProTek. Good packs for what I do.

'AC'

An adapter could work but there isn't much out there for it. I seen people use Traxxas ID packs on non traxxas chargers with an adapter.
So somehow to balance charge you will need to make an adapter from that pin into a 3 pin jst xh if it is a 2s, 4 pin if 3s and on and on.

Last edited:
Were it me, I'd move the pack on. G2 packs can only be charged by a [Spektrum] smart charger-or so the pack says.

I bought into the Spektrum G2 'smart pack' system with the S1100 charger and one each 2s and 3s pack. Still having to hassle with the charger settings and function. Get a voltage read-out. Never sure what the pack balance is. Much prefer my old 'dumb' charging system over the G2. Almost at the point of selling the charger on Ebay and eating the two smart packs.

That said, I do like the ic3 connector. Center pin not withstanding. Connector is just large enough to handle easily; but not so large as it becomes bulky.

As far as battery packs go, my two standards are gensacearespammers and ProTek. Good packs for what I do.

'AC'
the grom comes with a ic2 connecter.
the grom doesn't come with a charger?
forget it, i found out the grom comes with a charger (plugga)

(Also: soliciting suggestions on cheap 2s stick packs that'll work in the truck!)
Idk what / how the battery compartment is layed out. The grom is 1/18th isn't it?
For my Mini B club racer which is 1/16 I use these cheap amazon batteries. Pair of 2 for 21 bucks, can't beat it. Urgenex 1100 35C 2s Lipos, deans plug, soft pack.
The C rating is ok, soft pack is a disadvantage to me, but I got used to it. Lot of more run time compared to the stock Dynamite 600 and 850 packs.
Oh I see, its a full size stick pack, not sure on that for smaller size, something like a Mini B battery could work but won't be ideal because the Mini B pack is alot smaller than a stick pack.

Just for safety so nothing goes up in flames, Id just use the spektrum pack with the included spektrum charger / a spektrum charger.

Maybe this is more ideal? : https://www.amainhobbies.com/gens-ace-2s-lipo-battery-60c-7.4v-2200mah-gea22002s60x6/p1336196
2200Mah, 60C, seems like a pretty good pack for that car.
Although, XT60 is a bit big for a mini car, like in my Mini B I use deans and EC2, my other buddies use the same or XT30s.
Will need the dimensions of the battery tray for a new battery.
I would also look at CHNL and Liperior ( rcbattery.com ) for smaller packs like that.

Last edited:
Back