Bye Bye Traxxas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not disagreeing with anyone's personal opinion. I'm only pointing out that there's more than just Traxxas that protects itself.
I believe more in defending Patent infringement than the Trademark infringement. If I develop or invent something is it ok for someone to steal it, copy it and make money on it? Copying is what stifles innovation. Why would anybody put money in R&D just for someone else to profit. How would any business not go bankrupt if that was the case?

Did you know Toyota was faced with the same (trademark) thing? Toyota had their T-100 truck and then they wanted to use T-150 on a newer model. It was too close to the Ford F-150 so they ended up with the Tundra.

Regarding the whole Nero thing. I thought they only needed to change a couple of minor things to keep the model but instead decided to abandon it alltogether.

The HBO Max infringement is because HBO asked for a new trademark that was under a class reserved for toys. (same industry)

There has to be more to the story. Why are they not going after for example Arrma and their waterproof boxes.

I'm not trying to defend Traxxas. Only pointing out that this is not an only Traxxas does this thing. This stuff happens everyday in all the different manufacturing fields. It just sucks when it affects two different items that we're interested in.
All the examples I cited hurt consumers and gain Traxxas very little. Especially given how many people have boycotted them over their aggressive tactics. All they're accomplishing is stifling innovation and competition in the RC industry under the guise of IP protection. As for why they don't go after other companies for the RX boxes, I couldn't tell you. If there's more to the story that I'm missing, I'm all ears.

I'm willing to take all Traxxas vehicles and dispose of them properly. I'll give anyone $20 to get rid of that trash for them. I'm doing you a favor. Go buy something else. Traxxas hates you anyway.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone's personal opinion. I'm only pointing out that there's more than just Traxxas that protects itself.
I believe more in defending Patent infringement than the Trademark infringement. If I develop or invent something is it ok for someone to steal it, copy it and make money on it? Copying is what stifles innovation. Why would anybody put money in R&D just for someone else to profit. How would any business not go bankrupt if that was the case?

Did you know Toyota was faced with the same (trademark) thing? Toyota had their T-100 truck and then they wanted to use T-150 on a newer model. It was too close to the Ford F-150 so they ended up with the Tundra.

Regarding the whole Nero thing. I thought they only needed to change a couple of minor things to keep the model but instead decided to abandon it alltogether.

The HBO Max infringement is because HBO asked for a new trademark that was under a class reserved for toys. (same industry)

There has to be more to the story. Why are they not going after for example Arrma and their waterproof boxes.

I'm not trying to defend Traxxas. Only pointing out that this is not an only Traxxas does this thing. This stuff happens everyday in all the different manufacturing fields. It just sucks when it affects two different items that we're interested in.
Ok, my point of view.
I did a lot of 3d modeling and design in my work. I have made countless modified desings based off reverse engineering components for proper fitment for 1:1 cars, race cars, RC cars, guitars, etc over the years. Traxxas saying someone ripped off their design is just wrong.

Things like machining a box or enclosed area of a part to accept an o-ring seal is done throughout multiple industries, particularly racing. Pelican cases, which provide a water-tight sealed encloser have been around forever.

Traxxas using the exact same concept on their Rx cases and getting a patent on that design is some shady chit. They had to have paid off a judge. Pure speculation, but come on. I'm not that dumb.

The fact that they even filed the patent claiming it was their design is some dirty chit. That shows how much Traxxas cares about any damage these actions would eventually have on the RC community. Yes, HPI going under hurt us as customers. Badly.

The fact that they would sue a company into bankruptcy just because they used the same concept that had been used to do the EXACT SAME THING as multiple other companies have been doing in multiple other industries for YEARS is some really evil chit.

To each their own man. I don't hate anyone for buying their stuff. I don't hate their stuff. In fact I want a couple Traxxas RC's. I just hate the company and the evil asshats running it.

And please, nobody take this as me arguing. I kind of enjoy these kind of discussions, and I completely see the point of people stating opposition.

Last edited:
Ok, my point of view.
I did a lot of 3d modeling and design in my work. I have made countless modified desings based off reverse engineering components for proper fitment for 1:1 cars, race cars, RC cars, guitars, etc over the years. Traxxas saying someone ripped off their design is just wrong.

Things like machining a box or enclosed area of a part to accept an o-ring seal is done throughout multiple industries, particularly racing. Pelican cases, which provide a water-tight sealed encloser have been around forever.

Traxxas using the exact same concept on their Rx cases and getting a patent on that design is some shady chit. They had to have paid off a judge. Pure speculation, but come on. I'm not that dumb.

The fact that they even filed the patent claiming it was their design is some dirty chit. That shows how much Traxxas cares about any damage these actions would eventually hurt the RC community. Yes, HPI going under hurt us as customers. Badly.

The fact that they would sue a company into bankruptcy just because they used the same concept that had been used to do the EXACT SAME THING as multiple other companies have been doing in multiple other industries for YEARS is some really evil chit.

To each their own man. I don't hate anyone for buying their stuff. I don't hate their stuff. In fact I want a couple Traxxas RC's. I just hate the company and the evil asshats running it.

And please, nobody take this as me arguing. I kind of enjoy these kind of discussions, and I completely see the point of people stating opposition.
The judge they went to got into hot water for being biased. I'll see if I can find the artical

A point I would make too is, do we as Traxxas haters want them to be boycotted and go bankrupt? Hell no. They bring a lot to the industry, just like everyone else does. But doing crap like they are throws a huge monkey wrench into that for the industry as a whole.

Last edited:
A point I would make too is, do we as Traxxas haters want them to be boycotted and go bankrupt? Hell no. They bring a lot to the indystry, just like everyone else does. But doing crap like they are throws a huge monkey wrench into that for the industry as a whole.
Just knock them off the high horse and let sobriety hit a little.

I will buy what ever model that makes me happy at the time. Traxxas has some really nice rigs. I like Arrma as well. Might try Axial someday. I saw a bumper sticker the other day. Don't want an abortion ? don't get one. Don't want to buy Traxxas ? don't. Pretty simple. :cool:

Ok, my point of view.

The fact that they even filed the patent claiming it was their design is some dirty chit. That shows how much Traxxas cares about any damage these actions would eventually have on the RC community. Yes, HPI going under hurt us as customers. Badly.

Did you look at the patent? It's not about the o-ring. It's about how it was designed to allow wires to exit. How is that not their design?
US08315040-20121120-D00000.png

Like you, I like having a discussion. It's not arguing when it's an open discussion back and forth seeing the point of view from one another's opinion even when disagreeing with it.

Last edited:
I don't boycott Traxxas per se, but I'm not a fan of how they treat LHS's. They use a "ranking" system, if you sell too many products from competitors, your LHS goes down in rank.

Then there's the fact that they love to nickel and dime you on upgrades that should be included out of the box (I'm looking at you TRX4 and your $100 led upgrade, anything with plastic shock caps, or plastic motor mounts).

And as a big "right to repair" guy, propietary electronics/mounts/etc, aren't something that I can support. This is a very DIY hobby (if we ignore the stack of broken Slashes at our LHS).

Last edited:
I don't boycott Traxxas per se, but I'm not a fan of how they treat LHS's. They use a "ranking" system, if you sell too many products from competitors, your LHS goes down in rank.

Then there's the fact that they love to nickel and dime you on upgrades that should be included out of the box (I'm looking at you TRX4 and your $100 led upgrade, anything with plastic shock caps, or plastic motor mounts).

And while a bit of a "first world problem", I get irritated having to make my own "plates" to mount aftermarket electronics. I'm a big right to repair guy, so propietary electronics/mounts/etc aren't my thing.
They won't supply to my buddy's shop anymore because he refuses to sell there poopy batteries and chargers. 🤣 they're so fuckin petty

They won't supply to my buddy's shop anymore because he refuses to sell there poopy batteries and chargers. 🤣 they're so fuckin petty
Thats pretty much my point, they like to "flex" a bit and bully LHS's. I can't support that, some LHS's are even turning to selling re-badged Chineseum stuff just to turn a profit.

Last edited:
I was about to say the same thing.
Also not to mention of he would have, he doesn't get the traction on people coming in to buy stuff
Most of the people going in is mostly for the computer shop
Every time I go to him, even it's for dropping off a electronic or getting rc stuff, imalways buy something from the hobby shop
Mostly I pay him cash so if it's like 60 bucks and some change, he will say 60. Rest of it is on him
That's why I'm trying go down to him to him more instead of getting all my stuff from amain

Wasn’t aware of that but my only response to that would be is that if Traxxas really cared about it, they wouldn’t have that attitude towards Hobby shops that don’t sell just Traxxas RC’s and if a Hobby shop had a problem with it, they could just do like horizon hobby did and stop selling their products altogether.

The X maxx for example… when it came out…. Didn’t it retail on Traxxas’s website for like, $799/$899? The new XMaxx ultimate retails on Traxxas’s website for close to $1500 with all of those extra “lacking” upgrades that you’re talking about.

I’m in no way picking on you when I say this and I’m not even saying yay or nay on whether or not it should already come with all that stuff for the same price but, it just is what it is. That’s the whole fun of the hobby is upgrading it. RC’s are an expensive hobby, unfortunately.

On a sidenote, I’m pretty sure that when the version two Maxx came out that it was a lot more expensive than my version 1 Maxx was that had the shorter chassis, the smaller and and not as good tires and the shorter A arms.

And as a big "right to repair" guy, propietary electronics/mounts/etc, aren't something that I can support. This is a very DIY hobby (if we ignore the stack of broken Slashes at our LHS).
Seems to me like there’s plenty of aftermarket parts out there you can use to get around that hurdle. I was able to build my brushless Revo 3.3 with a whole bunch of aftermarket parts.
Wasn’t aware of that but my only response to that would be is that if Traxxas really cared about it, they wouldn’t have that attitude towards Hobby shops that don’t sell just Traxxas RC’s and if a Hobby shop had a problem with it, they could just do like horizon hobby did and stop selling their products altogether.

The X maxx for example… when it came out…. Didn’t it retail on Traxxas’s website for like, $799/$899? The new XMaxx ultimate retails on Traxxas’s website for close to $1500 with all of those extra “lacking” upgrades that you’re talking about.

I’m in no way picking on you when I say this and I’m not even saying yay or nay on whether or not it should already come with all that stuff for the same price but, it just is what it is. That’s the whole fun of the hobby is upgrading it. RC’s are an expensive hobby, unfortunately.

On a sidenote, I’m pretty sure that when the version two Maxx came out that it was a lot more expensive than my version 1 Maxx was that had the shorter chassis, the smaller and and not as good tires and the shorter A arms.

Seems to me like there’s plenty of aftermarket parts out there you can use to get around that hurdle. I was able to build my brushless Revo 3.3 with a whole bunch of aftermarket parts.
I don’t know why, but it kind of seems to me like you’re buddy’s probably not all that broken up about it… Lol.

But on a sidenote, I don’t know why so many people talk bad about their batteries and chargers. I don’t know, maybe it’s because I try to take care of my stuff but I’ve got three Traxxas Lipos and their dual changer for my Maxx that are going on 2 1/2 years old without a single problem. Even the brushless 16th scale E Revo that my stepson has, he’s pretty hard on his and so far the only battery he’s had to replace is one of his older nickel metal hydride batteries.

Last edited:
🙄 Traxxas sues to protect its IP? Oh no, it's indefensible, boycott them now! HORIZON eats up another small Made-in-the-USA RC hobbyist company only to send manufacturing over to China. Bend right over! It's Hobby-time!

You guys are ridiculous.

🙄 Traxxas sues to protect its IP? Oh no, it's indefensible, boycott them now! HORIZON eats up another small Made-in-the-USA RC hobbyist company only to send manufacturing over to China. Bend right over! It's Hobby-time!

You guys are ridiculous.
I could write some long diatribe proving you wrong, but I also know doing such would be a waste of my time. You seem like someone who only wants to see things one way, and will refuse to see things any other way, even if proof to the contrary of what you believe is right in front of you.

If only a few people decided to stop purchasing from a company, then it's safe to assume the reasons are personal, and have nothing to do with the company. But, when this many people choose to stop buying, then there's a pretty good possibility...heck, more like a very-high probability...that there's a very valid reason behind said decision. Open your eyes, start researching into what actually transpired, and learn to look "outside the box", and maybe...just maybe...you'll finally start to see what everyone else knows actually happened.

I could write some long diatribe proving you wrong, but I also know doing such would be a waste of my time. You seem like someone who only wants to see things one way, and will refuse to see things any other way, even if proof to the contrary of what you believe is right in front of you.
Something someone says when they actually have nothing of substance to add. 👋

I get it. Someone on the internet has a different opinion, and you don't know how to handle it. So instead of actually refuting my point, you go ahead and try to turn it personal. Because that's all you have.

Some folks act like Traxxas is the only company who ever took steps to preserve themselves and their position. Apple computers, in the early days if you wanted to be an Apple retailer, you could NOT price them lower than Apple allowed. If you own a gun-shop and want to be a KImber dealer, you have to buy one of everything they make, directly from them, even if you know it won't sell in your area. Same goes for Beretta's line.

The guy above who doesn't want to sell Traxxas batteries is shooting himself in the foot, stock a couple of batteries and chargers and let your customers decide. The worst thing a retailer can do is tell their customers what they should want.

Silliness in business is widespread, just as it is with consumers.

Something someone says when they actually have nothing of substance to add. 👋

I get it. Someone on the internet has a different opinion, and you don't know how to handle it. So instead of actually refuting my point, you go ahead and try to turn it personal. Because that's all you have.
Not even close to the truth...and, other than what I'm about to say, I'm not going to 'bite' any further. First, as I previously stated, doing so would be a waste of time, primarily because you've already made your decision, without ever having looked at the facts. Second, as for your "nothing of substance to add", again, you have no clue. The information...the truth...is there to be found, IF you search for it. Expect everyone else to provide to you, and all you do is prove how lazy you are. Learn to do your own research...actually accomplish something...and not only will you gain the benefit of having actually done something yourself, but you'll gain a I'll life skill...not that I'm expecting you to do such. Good day.

Back