Buy or repair?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
probably a bit late here but I will chime in , the 3.3 isn't a bad engine just gets a bit of a bum rap because its the engine a lot of newbies learn on and usually toast. the bearing problem is fairly consistant however but I have found the cheapest and easiest way to get around it is go to a ebay chop shop such as dollarhobbies and get a block with with bearings installed ,usually round $25us shipped.
if you have sealed I correctly and still find it wanting to lean out check the carb , look at the body for cracks and pull the needles out and inspect the orings . being a mass produced engine qc can sometime suffer.
also what fuel are you using and what type of plug , I have found that fuel with a bit more oil is better for trx mills (11-15% oil) and an os plug is best ,use a lc3 for lower nitro (10-20%) and lc4 for higher % (25-30%) . hope this all helps
also in regard to the os tm engine range , I would look as something different .the 21tm is way overpriced for what it does really and is no easier to tune than a 3.3 imho not worth it . I would look at either a novarossi 2.5 supercharged engine ,at $175 from amain it a great engine and it comes with a pipe and manifold but it is a roto start. also there is the ofna/picco engines too I have the 28jl max is a 2.5 revo and it hauls and you can get it in the truck fro under $200 and stomps all over the 21tm.

The fuel i use odennel r2r fuel 20% nitro. And 3232x plug

Maybe try a 3231 plug its a bit hotter than the 3232x

In what way would that help?

A hotter plug makes for easier tuning especially when the engine is new

I would try that, but it runs well on the medium plug. Maybe i will go hot just for a more punchy acceleration!

Go with an os lc3 or lc4 plug...trust me!
The carb on the trx mills I've proven to myself to be a pos and sucks air from all over

The problem here is not the tuning. Its i have run 6 turns out on the HSN to even be able to WOT:it. But a hot plug i might try that, for a more snappier acceleration, not for the sake of tuning.

The problem here is not the tuning. Its i have run 6 turns out on the HSN to even be able to WOT:it. But a hot plug i might try that, for a more snappier acceleration, not for the sake of tuning.
The engine has power at satisfactory level. Its not racing tuned but more bashing tuned.

i would be looking at the carb very closely ,as hotrob said they can be painful and a cracked body or split o ring would lead you to have issues you are stating 6 turns out should be so rich it would bearly be able to start.
also for the sake of $35 you may want to consider a losi 3.4 carb , I have been using them on 3.3's for a while and make it a much better engine to run/tune.

I didn't say anything about your tune I simply was implying that that carb is prone to airleaks and that would cause you to have to open the needle that far...like the chicken said I would go the losi 3.4 carb...

Now its sealed around the neck and tightening screw.. Check carb itsself, but no leaks were found. Prey to god that this is the case, i dont want to spend any more money in this engine if i dont find the leak.

All composite carbs are crap imo!..they simply wear out quikly,...I would almost bet that the slide and boot are worn and the lsn o rings are shot

I did put green slime on the LSN and richen the HSN by 1/4. I did a quick test and now i can atleast WOT:it but not sure of the LSN i leaking or the richening of the HSN "solved" it. Since i only have three tires atm, i can't do a fully test. A full test will be conducted on Monday when I receive my spare parts from tower.

Otherwise i wont spend a penny on this engine!!

once the carb issue is solved I think you will have decent engine, it would still be cheaper to convert to a 3.4 carb vs buying a new engine.

once the carb issue is solved I think you will have decent engine, it would still be cheaper to convert to a 3.4 carb vs buying a new engine.
That will be my future plan, but it will go to another budget. So far till engine has been raping my wallet.