Burnt bell

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroNewb

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just put a new clutch bell and clutches (among other stuff) on my car.
My son ran it for about 1/2 hour today. It ran great except I noticed when we were done, the clutch bell housing was discolored from heat.
The car didn't seem to be slipping at all. It shifted fine and acceleration was great.
Temps were from 212 to 250.
Is this normal?
My last clutches were metal, these were plastic.
GHM

If you clean the bell with DA and lightly sand it to rough it up and get the black paint off it? Also, clean the shoes with DA and rough them up with paper as well. Make sure your bearings aren't overly oiled or it will spray oil in and cause it to slip again.

Having it discolored and generating that much heat that early into it means its' slipping pretty good, which will cause premature bearing/shoe failure.

I have had it happen at other times even after doing the above process, but typically, it doesn't get hot enough to discolor when I do. At least not until the shoes get some wear on them and a glaze which promotes slippage again.

If you clean the bell with DA and lightly sand it to rough it up and get the black paint off it? Also, clean the shoes with DA and rough them up with paper as well. Make sure your bearings aren't overly oiled or it will spray oil in and cause it to slip again.

Having it discolored and generating that much heat that early into it means its' slipping pretty good, which will cause premature bearing/shoe failure.

I have had it happen at other times even after doing the above process, but typically, it doesn't get hot enough to discolor when I do. At least not until the shoes get some wear on them and a glaze which promotes slippage again.

I guess my question is..if it's slipping enough to burn the housing wouldn't I notice that in it's performance?
I never roughed up either surface.
The old bell never discolored with the metal shoes.

Alloy shoes slip less in general, but tend to engage more aggressively. They also require more maintenance... at least the few times I tried them.

I run HPI Savage Teflon shoes in my aftershock and really like them. The stock composite shoes turned the bell color and slipped more. The savage shoes are a bit heavier and engage earlier than the stockers.

You don't necessarily notice the slipping as since it is engaging, just not as well as it could be. Unless there's a glob of grease on the shoes causing insane slippage... then you'd notice.

Some bells aren't painted, and will show after 5 minutes. Mugen and Xray clutch bells are just untreated metal

Ah, good point. Might explain why my stock AS bell is discolored, but the black high speed bell isn't.

Besides... who doesn't like rainbows?

I had the same issue with my stock savage bell when I ran alloy shoes. I went to a hardened RR bell and it free of discoloratio.

Besides... who doesn't like rainbows?

95% of men....

Just to clear it up I am part of the 95%.LOL

Back