Buggy Tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericke1

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a violator 9.5 and today after running the vehicle I took of the tires and wheels and quickly ran them under the sink. After letting them dry quickly I put the wheel back on and noticed that one tire had in a couple of spots depressed. THe other tires were firm but this one has dimples in spots. I assume a little water got into the foam but now what do I do? I dont want to replace them, any ideas?

Two friends of mine run stock ofna wheels, preglued. Ofna doesn't (or didn't?) put breather holes in the tires. They are glued very well, but if you have a small air leak the air will escape and it won't get sucked back in quick enough. You'll get depressions in the tires and it's really bad when you're jumping and stuff.

Dunno if that's your trouble but thought I'd mention it.

Yes

It seems like the air has been sucked out a little. What did your friends do? I dont want to have to remove the tires and redo the foam. Should I pierce a small whole and put some air from a hand compressor in there.

do what i did drill 4 3/32nd holes in your rims

if your going to drill a hole make sure you do it at close to the center of the rim as possible. Dont put the hole out near the bead. Also, you only need a very small hole. One hole 1-2mm in diameter should be fine.

Yes, drill away. Be safe, wear eye protection and don't set the wheel in you lap and drill through into your leg or hold it in your hand in such a way that might end up with a hole in your palm.
Better yet, get your little sister to hold it for you (LOL).

tapping the rims will certainly fix your issue. however, the new trend seems to be drilling small holes in the rubber of the tires rather than the inside of the rims. personally, i've always drilled the rims, but the justification for drilling the tires is that "if" water does satuate the foams, a hole in the rubber will allow the water to "spin" out while driving. i've seen a few folks at the tracks(s) doing this and I know the GS Storm tires come that way.

wiita

I'd be worried about messing up the rubber by drilling them myself. Seems like it would be pretty easy to botch that one =)

Proline wheels come with two holes in the rims, about 4mm diameter. They are across from each other. I did it on the Ofna rims I purchased as well.

Moisture and dirt in the holes hasn't really been an issue for me. I figure, by the time the foam gets so saturated with dirt that they are noticably messed up, the rubber will probably be worn out too. I run them under water quickly with the sprayer to clean them and it's not a problem.

When I first saw the ofna tires, which was shortly after I'd touched my first buggy tires (mine) I thought that they were supposed to be sealed up. But I know now that it's the foam that keeps the tires bouncy and firm, not the air trapped inside.

Back