Best Xmaxx steering servo.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy rider

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
I’m looking for a steering servo to replace the factory one that came in my Xbox. I don’t want to modify the chassis if possible. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks fellas.

I’m a buy once cry once kind of guy. Will I have to do a chassis mod in order for it to fit? Thanks for the recommendation too.
Just know that the one @bill_delong recommended only has 430oz of torque at 6v and is a standard size servo. You would need to get the servo adapter to install one. The stock 2085 servo has 365oz of torque at 6v and it's a bigger scale servo. It's not much of an upgrade. For less money you can get the new Traxxas High-torque Maxx 2085R servo that drops right in and has 650oz of torque at 6v. Myself, I like the Promodeler servos.

They make an adapter to convert the X-Maxx to accept a standard sized servo. Traxxas even sells an adapter I believe.

Oh, previous post mentions that 😝

Thanks for the heads up on everything so far. And, no I won’t be putting a standard size servo in it. Weezel has helped me so many times. It’s like he knows how I think. Everyone else is so helpful as well. Thank to you all.

I’m going to do the whole bell crank, drag bar system too. Because the servo I do buy is going to require it. I was checking out the 2285X. I wasn’t sold on it if there was a better drop in option for the price tag it carries. But, I’m not against paying more if I get more.

Thinking of the M2C bell crank with a highly rated Amazon aluminum drag rod. Already ordered the rod a few minutes ago. Because I want the flexibility to help protect the servo. But, it’s strong enough to utilize the servos strength and quickness.

Strength is what I’m looking for. Speed is nice. But, I think the stock speed is fine. Just can’t cut the mustard in thicker grass cut 4” high. Which I run in a lot.

I put a 1/10 scale servo in my Xmaxx and used the GPM servo adapter. I let that thing fly through the air doing backflips, crashing, and never had a single issue.

Savox SB-2290SG Black Edition Monster Torque Brushless Steel Gear Servo​

If you are looking for the best take a look at this one. Promodeler

DS1885BLDP​

1715564771545.png

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005..._main.139.35a21802lzpOTa&gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm
Has the same size and stock style mounting tabs, if you time it right they do come on special, I got mine in March this year about 88$ cdn cheaper than it is right now. Fits perfect works fantastic. You need to be careful with 1/8th scale servos, I put in a 50kg direct powered to 4s ... was amazed how fast it was ... till I stripped the gears bench testing its speed flopping those bigbtires back and forth like a 1/10 scale racer would at the starting line!

Last edited:
And, no I won’t be putting a standard size servo in it.
Don't entirely discount them. There have been plenty of people that have great luck using a standard size. I just wanted you to be aware of what you're getting.

I'm not sure of your Esc, but the stock Traxxas is a 6v bec. You would need to use an external bec to use higher voltages.

You may have to excuse me because I may have indeed lied. The promodeler DS1155BLHV is getting my attention quickly. So, I might indeed put a standard size servo in it. I do have a few questions though.

After researching it, it’s recommended you run a dedicated 2s lipo for its use. I’m really not looking to add more weight and fiddle of running a separate servo battery. Is it worth it to those that’s done it? Should I plan on doing that. Get a better bec instead? Or, just install it and run as is?

Thanks fellas.

Don't entirely discount them. There have been plenty of people that have great luck using a standard size. I just wanted you to be aware of what you're getting.

I'm not sure of your Esc, but the stock Traxxas is a 6v bec. You would need to use an external bec to use higher voltages.
I was typing all the last post when you posted. Thanks man.

I don't have personal experience with the X-Maxx, but if it were me, I would only buy a servo with a solid warranty like what NitroPro offers, even if it means you need to get the adapter that ferrebee88 mentioned above.

I have gone through many brands of servos over the years and NitroPro tops my list of brands I would recommend. I am not affiliated with NitroPro, just providing honest feedback of where my money would go if I were to buy a servo today.