Back on the Pedals

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just staying on the roads until everything dries up some more.
We have a Rails to Trails trailhead only two blocks from me but blacktop in town.
The trail headed north on the edge of town is still pretty muddy.

BA5DD076-5C28-4C11-87D9-075E162B4313.jpeg

Got my hitch mounted and rack installed this morning. Now I need a bike!

View attachment 165550

Got my hitch mounted and rack installed this morning. Now I need a bike!
Interesting. I've never seen that rack design before.

It hasn't rained in over a week. I'm betting the trails are still pretty wet from the previous 2 straight weeks of rain though. I'm gonna try to get out this week to try it out.
My oldest will be coming home from school next weekend, and will be taking over my Honda HRV, which has the tow hitch for the bike rack. I need to get a tow hitch installed on my new Subbie Impreza hopefully soon.
20230506_130005.jpg

It’s a 1up USA rack. I’ve heard good things. It’s quality.

Something I've always wondered about hitch mounted bike racks, can you get a ticket for blocking your license plate? I know it's unlikely, but I've wondered about it.

Something I've always wondered about hitch mounted bike racks, can you get a ticket for blocking your license plate? I know it's unlikely, but I've wondered about it.
And the tail lights, turn signals, etc.

I would say it depends on the cop that pulled you over. This is how I think it would go:
1. You don't give him an attitude, he would give you a written warning, and tell you that you need to figure out another carrying system.
2. You give him an attitude, and he makes you put the bike inside your car and then gives you a ticket.
3. You act like a total ahole and you this is the last thing you remember....
Screenshot_20230514_194214.jpg

Depends on the cop. I have taken the offensive with them and told them to go to #### and they tucked tail back to their car. My first wife thought I was crazy. I told her "my dad was a cop, so I know how to argue with them". Some cops are way too easy.

Depends on the cop. I have taken the offensive with them and told them to go to #### and they tucked tail back to their car. My first wife thought I was crazy. I told her "my dad was a cop, so I know how to argue with them". Some cops are way too easy.
🤣😂 I choose the what ever comes out of my mouth comes out. My old man keeps talking to me about filters. Sometimes I am just as shocked at what comes out.🫠

With my luck, I get Buford Pusser.
20230412_172227.jpg

Last week, I dug out my nearly 25yo Cannondale mountain bike. Inflated the fully flat tires, and cleaned off the braking surface of the rims.
I found a tow hitch car bike rack at Harbour Freight for only $45. Dirt cheap, so I figured I give it a try. The rack turned out to be very well built, so for the price, it was a bargain.
I went to Peabody town forest, which is in town and where I've frequently taken my crawlers. Well, it's years since I've ridden off road, and it shows. I didn't feel super steady on the trail, and I was winded very, very early. Man, it sucks getting old!
Well, it looks like I'm going to need to put the work in to get those cycling muscles and lungs back. However, I did enjoyed being back on the bike though.
Today, I hit those same trails, and already made a noticeable improvement with the handling and stamina. Much more enjoyable!
Looking forward to more riding and hopefully increasing physical improvements.
Now, I want to give the bike a major cleaning and lubing, and replaced those original tires. Everthing else appears to be shipped shape.View attachment 163991View attachment 163992View attachment 163993View attachment 163994
Can't believe I missed this!
Happy for ya bro. No matter what age, always get back on bikes, one of the best sports IMO (no bias at all 🤣)
Got a new rig a few months back - 2022/3 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 27.5
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1004628977073274901/1086898176008663041/20230318_163534.jpg
Compared to my old bike (sold it since), Co-op DRT 1.1 https://discord.com/channels/@me/1004628977073274901/1086898283600949320
Nice bike. After not riding for a few years, i picked up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/BestMassage-...ocphy=9005776&hvtargid=pla-633954932372&psc=1 and set it up in the living room when its cold, and out on the porch when its warmer until i got in better shape, or, for when i couldnt get out on the trails.
I got one of these, so I too can stay in shape on the off weeks! 🤣https://www.amazon.com/VUYUYU-Recli...ywords=massage+recliner&qid=1684116171&sr=8-6
Swung by a bike shop after work today, and picked up 2 new tires, 2 sets of brake pads, and a tube of chain lube. Saw a lot of super cool bikes and gear!
No riding today though. Had a very busy day at work, and I signed up for a double shift tomorrow. So, just want to chill this evening.
All the new bikes are crazy! I can't but help taking a look at all their parts in-person, absolute beasts, don't have the money or skill level to tame them though! 🤣
I could go on for threads and threads about MTBs

Can't believe I missed this!
Happy for ya bro. No matter what age, always get back on bikes, one of the best sports IMO (no bias at all 🤣)
Got a new rig a few months back - 2022/3 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 27.5
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1004628977073274901/1086898176008663041/20230318_163534.jpg
Compared to my old bike (sold it since), Co-op DRT 1.1 https://discord.com/channels/@me/1004628977073274901/1086898283600949320

I got one of these, so I too can stay in shape on the off weeks! 🤣https://www.amazon.com/VUYUYU-Recli...ywords=massage+recliner&qid=1684116171&sr=8-6
I can't really justify another bike, but I've been very tempted with this Rockhopper myself..
Screenshot_20230422_120220.jpg

Forgot how cool your bike looks. I really like those triangular frames. This one has been getting my attention. And look, it's in your color! It would be nice having a modern bike, but I can't really justify another bike. However, at only $500, it is really, really tempting!View attachment 164066
Modern bikes are so epic. I have the higher spec model of that, the Rockhopper Comp, now it's selling for low 700s, down from $950-$1000 (Covid prices)
I can't really justify another bike, but I've been very tempted with this Rockhopper myself..
View attachment 165583
Ah yeah. I would've kept both, but they're similar, and I don't have the space right now, so I sold the DRT for $350, and got that sweet Rockhopper for 715

I guess if I was a cop, it would depend how expensive the bike on the rack is. If it's expensive, I'd give you the ticket because you can afford it. That's right I said it. :p :p :p seriously though, I would hope I would have more important stuff to worry about.
You guys ever watch "Fridays with Frank" ?

Between work and rain, I haven't been able to get any ride time in. Still want to do a thorough cleaning of the bike as well, but haven't been able to really do that either. I want to clean the bike before I put on the new tires. I have, however, been able to order a few things for it online.
I just got home about 30 minutes ago, and got delivery on my new bling pedals. Popped them on and took a test ride around the house. They look fantastic, lightweight, and really grab my shoes. They're also wider than my original pedals, so it's more comfortable having more real estate to stand on. It does makes me cringe thinking these pedals will cause serious pain and damage should I slip off and take them on the shins...or any other body parts!View attachment 164212
All tRuE MTBers have scars on their shins! Sadly...I'm not kidding-

They should grip pretty well. Drop your heels in rougher sections and that'll keep your feet planted. A decent flat pedal and some riding shoes provide tons of grip
Your's probably did have sharper teeth, but nowadays, it would be a huge liability. Remember when we had real metal tip lawn darts that could puncture a skull?
Let me just tell you about how back in my day...
It’s a 1up USA rack. I’ve heard good things. It’s quality.
Yup. I've heard that those things are solid, they look like it too. I like how they enclose both the front and rear wheels
If you go real fast, they won't be able to see either way 😉
I would say it depends on the cop that pulled you over. This is how I think it would go:
1. You don't give him an attitude, he would give you a written warning, and tell you that you need to figure out another carrying system.
2. You give him an attitude, and he makes you put the bike inside your car and then gives you a ticket.
3. You act like a total ahole and you this is the last thing you remember....
View attachment 165573
What if for number 2, I drive a Smart car? I'm gonna have to completely tear down my bike

Last edited:
What if for number 2, I drive a Smart car? I'm gonna have to completely tear down my bike
That's why they make duct tape and zip ties. The roof is open, use your imagination snd the sky is the limit up until the bridge comes up. 😆

Back