Ariel broke in half?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simf40

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi i was bashing my savge 25 out 2day and it was going great then the ariel came right off!

It had actually snapped inside the ariel tube somehow?
But i was running this thing over 100meters and it was still fine,
Should i send this back to HPI and see if i can get a replacement or should i solder it back on or should i just leave it like it is,
P.S i have got a failsafe, just incase it decides to go.
by te way there's only about 3 inches left hanging out.

Hi, I snapped my aerial wire too, and I found them on Ebay for 99p each, and you can choose the colours. Dead easy to replace, just flick open your receiver box and unsolder the old wire then resolder in the new one - simple. They come in the right length too, as apperantly the wrong length can alter the frequency which I didn't know.
Anyway, I found the advert and the guy is still selling them, follow this link.

*Click here*

Hope this helps,

Al.:eyes:

I know it dose not sound like it is going to be easy but it is just try it,I have had to fix mine about three times now.

can i solder the 2 pieces 2gether and see if it still works but will it cause any resistance in the wire?

Originally posted by simf40
can i solder the 2 pieces 2gether and see if it still works but will it cause any resistance in the wire?

I'm not totally sure, but to be honest, if you can solder two bits of wire together, you'll have no trouble soldering a complete new wire into place. The two halves of the receiver box just split apart, no screws or owt.

Al

After I open my receiver box (stock T Maxx 2.5), the wire runs to the underside of the green circut board before it is soldered to the board. There are no screws on the board but it is firmy stuck down to the bottom of the receiver case. I can't get at the base of the wire to replace it. Is there a way to get the board up without breaking it or am I limited to splicing a new piece on to the old piece?

Does anyone know the proper wire guage?

simf40 said:
Yeah you can do this if ya want. I did it to mine, but now have that bundle where the split is. I was just lucky mine was before were the straw started. (Mines only temporary though, but so far as worked fine. I just keep forgetting to pick up a new one..lol)

massivex said:
Does anyone know the proper wire guage?

24AWG.

I'd splice it if it happens often. It's not good to get that board hot too many times.

24? I was told it was 28 awg by the LHS. Maybe they are different with manufacturers?

I've bought trucks and found them sodered and worked fine.

you can buy a small roll or coil of #24 down to #28 guage wire at radioshack for about 5$.........thats enough for about 10 to 30 arreals acording to what length of coil/roll you get.........now if you are using the am radio/receiver the wire length has to be as close to the original give or take 1/2 inch....if the arreal is too long with am radio systems you get unwanted interferance.......on the fm75hz radio/receiver setup you can have up to 6 inches longer arreal than the orriginal and on the fm75hz it helps in getting a longer driving range & better signal between the radio & receiver.......#24 is bigger in diameter than #28......if you use wire any bigger than #24 it will be hard to get a good solder joint in the receiver......myself, i use the #24.........its more sturdy and stands up to more abuse better......

Last edited:
massivex said:
After I open my receiver box (stock T Maxx 2.5), the wire runs to the underside of the green circut board before it is soldered to the board. There are no screws on the board but it is firmy stuck down to the bottom of the receiver case. I can't get at the base of the wire to replace it. Is there a way to get the board up without breaking it

How about this problem...anyone know a solution. Is it glue gunned down?

you can warm it gently with a heat gun but not too hot......these circuit boards are usually coated & held in place by a hard wax.........warm it up & pull at the same time carefully......

Back