anyone have a jato?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrferly2004

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have has a tmaxx for years and really its the only rc I'm familiar with. I drive solely offroad and for the most part, rougher terrain. My brother is tryin to sell me his jato 3.3 at a realllly good price. I'm just curious if jatos can handle being offroad. I wanted to ask people with a maxx how they thought they would do. Thanks

You can set the jato up for either on or off road with tires and shock mount points. They are very fast rigs and only two wheel drive which is gonna make it harder to control vs 4wd. Most everyone i know with jatos use them for drag racing on road only but i have worked on a few of them that were set up for off road and they seem to do fine with the right tires for traction. It will not have near the ground clearance for bashing as the tmaxx but it will be faster.

Jatos are WICKED fast and are great off-road. If you put the stabelizer bars on the F&R, they handle SO SO nice on the dirt. Love my Jato

On dirt, they are practically uncontrollable. On grass, they are fun as hell with the right tires.

I run new era's 17mm adapters with 1/8 buggy wheels tires that have really aggressive tires and it gets around great in the grass. I tried running it at an MX track a few years ago and it was like driving on ice. No matter how soft I was on the throttle, constant spin outs made it not fun.

I run 1/8 buggy pro-line road rage tires as well when I'm running at a skate park.

The only downside I have h ad is that when doing big air jumps (excess of 3 feet under it) causes it to bottom out so hard that it breaks the crank case. I got around that by building a damn out of tape around the engine mount, then filled it with jbweld and put the engine in and let it cure. This created a solid footprint for the entire bottom of the engine to rest on and I haven't had an issue since.

Also, the rear shock tower is very susceptible to breaking on bad landings/endo's... I made a roll bar to protect it and haven't had an issue with that since then either.

Keep in mind, I drive mine pretty much like I would my revo. Fast, hard and I jump a lot of stuff the jato probably has no business jumping... but with my mods, it's a tough rig now that is my fastest rig.

I also tried running stampede tires on it... they were completely useless. Not nearly enough weight and it just spun out all the time on pretty much any surface. I was trying to find tires/wheels that would give it more ground clearance to let me run easier in grass as that's the majority of where I run it.

I also made little steel braces for the inner tie-rod mounts as I busted those off a few times. Have not had an issue since I made the braces. Could probably make something similarly out of aluminum, but seemed to get the job done for me.

2012-1223-JatoSpurSideHigh.jpg

I dont have any grass around. Lots of leaf cover and gravel because I live in the woods. So it kind of sounds like it wouldn't be worth it. Thanks guys

Depending on how good the deal is, it may be worth it. Throw a set of Badlands on it and you'll probably be surprised at the amount of traction you get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

$50 for the truck. Almost brand new. It's too fast for his liking. He's just getting into rc and its his first car

$50 is a good deal if it's a clean roller, $50 is a STEAL if it's like new. Get it, if you don't like it then sell it.

its damn near brand new. Less than a gallon thru it. I might just get it and sell it. I guess I could at least get the $50 back just for the 2.4 radio

You may be surprised and actually like it, my favorite basher is my Nitro Rustler. It's a 2wd stadium truck like the Jato, except it's single speed and a little easier to work on than a Jato. I beat it harder than my buddy's Maxx, and it just keeps coming back for more.

At that price you would be an idiot not to buy imo especially with only a gallon thru it you could very very easily sell and make a nice profit if you dont like but with some adapters and new bigger tires they are great off road. the bigger tires will make it faster on top end but slower on take off which is the main offroad complaint putting bigger tires will change the gearing tho without actually changing the spur or anything

My jato with offroad tires would pull 2nd gear wheelies in my driveway and was pretty easy to drive offroad with the better tires on. I also bashed it some but than stopped because I didn't want to break it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back