Anxiously awaiting basement estimate

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are going with matching floors that we had done 3 years ago downstairs.
We have true wood floors but used an oak Engineered Wood rather then a solid oak. It has all the features of full wood but lasts longer and is better for the application we hade. The downstairs is on a slab and needed to be glued rather then nailed. You can’t properly float a wood floor like you can with interlocking Pergo. I don’t like the look or feel of fake wood. We also choose a "Micro Bevel" to give it a little deffanition.

We went with the "Bruce" brand. It cost more but has a 25 year guarantee on the original finish and can be sanded and re-done up to 3 times. We have had it for 3-4 years now and it still looks like the day we got it. There is nothing like a real wood floor.
http://www.bruce.com/resflram/na/bruce/en/us/article18241.html

^^^Wife wants to redo our lower level in all wood floors. I told her if I have to take the fish tank down to move it for the floors a larger one is going back up, like at least a 180 or 220. That slowed her down. Then after our basement deal and I suggested moving we put the floors on the backburner. Next house will have all wood.

Thanks guys. I am very excited about this. It is alot of money still, but it is space that we definitely need. In fact I have already picked out the Sharp Aquis 47 inch LCD panel TV to mount on the wall in the common room as well as a killer surround sound unit from my old house. We have also included a ventless LP Fireplace and wooden mantel, and yes a carbon monoxide detector as well.... just to be safe, since it will be a ventless.

I love the gorilla racks, but I can't find anyone who sells them locally. I may have to mail order them, which may get expensive in shipping costs.

I have the phone, Inet, and satallite TV all going in the room too. I have added a few extra outlets in the room as well as had them raised up a few feet to accomdate the workbenches. Also the RC room will be on it's own circuit. The lighting we have chosen for that room is floresent although I believe the lamps are resesed into the celing.

Any other ideas and or suggestions are very welcomed as we are still in the phase where we can change things before we actually sign the deal. Thanks again for all of the help.

FastEddy said:
Here you go.
http://www.gorillarack.com/products/workbench/workbench.htm

Pay a little extra and have them run 2-3 additional 20 amp circuits and a LOT of additional outlets in your hobby room. It shouldn’t cost more then 150-250 and is worth every penny.

Also have them put a 4-6 lamp florescent fixture in the ceiling.

Thinking about this now will give it a great finnished look with functionality you wish you had later on. Dont forget about phone line, cable TV line, and internet line.

Hey Ed,

Which model bench did you end up buying? Thanks

Tom

I don't know the details of your plans, however if it was me I'd say run ethernet (cat5), cable, and phone throughout the basement. Having the basement wired now for these three things will be much easier running them now then later. Plus it's nice to have all three things all right there in one box in each room, then you could just drop all three lines in to some closest in the basement and not have to mess with it.

-Michael

WoodiE said:
I don't know the details of your plans, however if it was me I'd say run ethernet (cat5), cable, and phone throughout the basement. Having the basement wired now for these three things will be much easier running them now then later. Plus it's nice to have all three things all right there in one box in each room, then you could just drop all three lines in to some closest in the basement and not have to mess with it.

-Michael

Good point!
When I added a second floor to my house, I ran 2 RG6 quad cables, CAT 5, and phone lines to each room.
I don't need all that crap, but I did it for "just incase".

Oh yeah. In fact I have excluded all the low voltage from the estimate. I am going to run it all. It is part of what I do for a living and is no big deal. Woodie, Ratzo, I am with you there. I plan on having CATV, Phone, and CAT6 in every room, all running back to a multimedia hub in the storage room. I am so excited... I can't wait.

I am also looking for ideas on how to lay out the RC room so that it is funtional and organized... any ideas guys? Thanks

Tom

I am not exactly sure the exact size... but I would say about 15 x 20.... something along those lines.

Tom

Here is what I have learned over the years of moving and arainging my shop.

Get a workbench (s) that are a common length and height so you can mix and match other stuff with it at a later date.

Measure your toolbox so it’s not the odd man out.

Get as much continuous table space as you can. It will allow you to work on other larger projects as well as allow you to have more then one project going at a time.

Separate your computer from your work place so it doesn’t get dirty from spraying chemicals and what not. Yet keep it close enough that you can see the screen for reading manuals and whatnot.

Lots of cabinet space for storage. You will never have enough.

Lighting. Never enough lighting. Use 5k florcent lights.

Make a separate "Wet Work", "Dirty Work" bench for cleaning, painting, and thing of the sort.

Single color floor light in color so you can find the little parts that everyone drops.

Make a spot for a BIG trash can.

Hey Ed,

Sounds good. I appreciate all of your help. I just want to make sure that I have enough space to work as well as an organized environment. What kind of flooring to you recomend? Thanks

Tom

godale03 said:
Hey Ed,

Sounds good. I appreciate all of your help. I just want to make sure that I have enough space to work as well as an organized environment. What kind of flooring to you recomend? Thanks

Tom

That’s up to you.
If it’s a true workshop, I would use epoxy paint on the concrete. You can get it mixed in any color you want. You can use vinyl flooring or linoleum as well.

It’s nice to be able to mop up the nitro that spills out the pipe and over spray from painting and DA. Carpet just doesn’t lend itself to a workshop. Cheap throw rugs or plastic work squares are great.

Sears has Garage floor tiles that are cool.

godale03 said:
Hey Guys,

The estimate is in! Well it was not as bad as I had thought. Only 49K instead of 60K. Not at all bad for a little over 1640 sq ft. The good thing is that this price is all inclusive and it includes everything that we wanted to do. I am stoked! We are getting a basement.... finished!
Take care guys!

Tom

I am glad I live in WV. I only paid $3000 more for my entire house than your basement refinish.

Wow! You couldn't touch a two bedroom for anything less than 150K here in Southern MD. I sold my 1100 square foot 3 bedroom rambler for 269K just this past October... Crazy I tell you!

Tom

I got lucky really. Prices are going up around here in a hurry. I paid 52,000 for a 3 BR Capecod with about 1400 square feet and about a 1/3 acre lot. Granted it is a fixer upper, I will have less than $15,000 invested when all is said and done. I will stay in it for a few years and flip it for a nice profit and hopefully beable to buy an empty lot and build a custom home.

I looked at a pc of property for $80,000. Think I could've got it for 65 or 70. Was an old house, built about 1910? House wasn't anything fancy but it was in pretty good shape. Was sitting on 30 acres.... But it was split 3 ways. House sit on about an acre. Across the main road was 2 acres. Then in behind the house was an old county road. The rest of the property was on the other side of it. That is pretty confusing. I guess the right of ways were sold after they got the property?

I walked it with the owner. Figured out how to sell enough of it to almost make my money back and still have 20 acres or so. That was the one the CEO vetoed. I guess that's ok, I might still be in there with a dozer?

The cost of living isn't as high here, but the wages aren't either. Guess it works out the same.
Not trying to derail your post Tom, maybe someone could start one on property prices. Find a real estate company we could put our zip in.

Getting back on track..... I was at Lowes today. Don't know if they are up there. They had a Kobalt workbench, 4 drawers, pegboard, light and power strip. $130. Nice little bench. I couldn't find it on-line, but if there is a Lowes where you are you might check it out.

Dude! Derailing my thread again!!......:whack: Just kidding my friend! LOL I had to give you a little s**t. :)

Anyway.... cool info about the benches... I will have to head to lowes to check it out. Online stinks for looking for benches... nothing seems to pop up. Anyway I will head over there to see what they have. There is a lowes about 10 minutes from me. Thanks for the tip my friend.

Tom

Digger, for the prices of homes and land in your area, I could sell my house and buy the town!

I looked at the benches Ed mentions. I like them although they are a little low for my height. Too high for a stool and too low for standing long periods next to.

Revo Rancher said:
Digger, for the prices of homes and land in your area, I could sell my house and buy the town!

I looked at the benches Ed mentions. I like them although they are a little low for my height. Too high for a stool and too low for standing long periods next to.

Samething around here Revo. My buddy just bought a 3 bedroom 3 bath with a 3/4 finished basement on less than a 1/4 acre for 342K! The house is like 1400 sq ft. The lot is a big hill! Home prices are just outrageous here in MD too.

As far as the benches... so far I am having a bit of a time trying to find them. The lowes and Home Depot do not carry the gorilla benches and not much else either. I am sure I could mail order them, but I kinda like to see up close and personal what I am buying before I buy it... well on things like benches anyway. I will keep looking.

The contractors came yesterday for to test fit a piece of drywall into the basement just to make sure that they could actually get a piece of drywall down there. The basement is completly underground and the stairwell is narrow and there is a 90 at the bottom to get into the basement. They can only get 8ft sheets in, instead of 12 so that means it will cost me a bit more, and there will be more seams so the asthetic value will go down hill a bit. Oh well... they should be able to start in a week or so! Wooo! Hooo!

Thanks for the help guys.

Tom

Back