Anxiously awaiting basement estimate

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

Well last week we had a contractor come out to do an estimate on finishing the basement. He took down all the information and things that we would like to include in the finished product, which included a room just for me and my RC's, as well as a wet bar and gas fireplace. Well I am due to recieve the email from the contrator this afternoon. I have been on pins an needles since he left last thursday. I hope we can afford it! I have already started laying out the ground work for how the RC room is going to look like. I have even picked out my TV already! LOL Well wish me luck guys. I hope I do not have a heart attack when the estimate comes in. Take care guys.

Tom

There you go again bragging about the money you have to throw around, first the X1-CRT, then the buggy, and now this.

J/K! Good luck with the estimate, regardless of how much it costs I am sure it will increase the resale value of your home. Not to mention provide you with years of enjoyment in the hobby. It sounds like my dream shop if you are installing a TV and wet bar.

sweetdiesel said:
There you go again bragging about the money you have to throw around, first the X1-CRT, then the buggy, and now this.

J/K! Good luck with the estimate, regardless of how much it costs I am sure it will increase the resale value of your home. Not to mention provide you with years of enjoyment in the hobby. It sounds like my dream shop if you are installing a TV and wet bar.

Don't forget the Jammin buggy! :)

Man, I hope folks don't think I am some rich guy. That is not the case at all. I sold my house to move into hers and some of the sale money is going to finish the basement... well hopefully. We are basically leaving the basement open with the exception of the storage room, RC room and a small bathroom. I am so nervous right now! LOL I need a drink!

Tom

Gee...I wish I had a room just for RC's.:depress: Humm..Let me think about this for a minute.:hump: Nope wouldn't work.
Hope everything works out for the best there for ya Tom. I'm sure it will. Let us know.

We just had our basement looked at for an estimate and were shocked when we saw it. So we are doing it ourself for about 1/5th the price. It really has been fun though.

I’m still pulling my jaw off the floor from an estimate we got to put wood floors upstairs as well as stone in the master bathroom. I was going to try to do it all at one time as well as widening the upstairs hallway. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! I was thinking 15-20K should be over kill for the project but was totally fooling myself with that number. So far with 2 estimates I can add another 10K to it and still not get what I want.

I don’t know about your part of the country but labor costs are out of control here in CA. My next step is to put some feelers out into the Mexican Underground. Stone and tile work is supposed to be much cheaper and good quality. I may have second thoughts on illegal immigration if the price is right.

Be real careful about using I.A.s to do your remodeling Ed. I have heard many horror stories of folks using them to do work on their homes such as lanscaping/building walls etc. only to find that they take the deposit money and leave the job unfinished. And if they do follow through and finish the job but f$%k it up, you have no recourse against them.

This summer my 14'x24' workshop will finally be built in my backyard. Concrete pad has been poured for 2 years and the wife is starting to ride me about getting it done.

It will have a 8'x14' room just for my various hobbies. The rest will be for wifes exercise area, kids play area and of couse the foosball table.

Had this guy come by the house to do a couple warranty jobs and just my wife was home. He asked if we thought about doing our basement and she said yeah. So this guy looks around and off the top of his heads shoots $10K. When he came back to finish the job he asked me about it and I laughed and said not in your f-in lifetime. My basement is really stupid, it's only about 800 sq/ft with another 800 sq as crawl space. All I wanted was a seperate room for me to have all my gym equipment in and a pantry. The rest was open. Wife asked what I wanted to do and now I want to sell this house! Thinking this fall!

Labor costs are not any better here on the left coast either. I am expecting a 60K price tag and all I want them to do is frame it up and sheetrock it, put down some berber carpet. The bar is just basically a set of cabinets with a counter top. We shall see though. I haven't got the email yet so I am still waiting. I am like Eddy, I thought I was close at 20K. That price would barely get the family room done! Sometimes I think I should own a home improvement company!

Tom

The house across the street from me just sold for 795,000.00. It is 1300 sq ft, 3 berroms, 2.5 baths, 2 car garage, (no basement as usual in CA) and the living room, dining room is basically one big room, no den, no formal rooms downstairs. Laundry room is upstairs. Lot is about same as mine, maybe smaller.

Anyhow, all week they have had workers in and out. The put travertine marble floors in the whole downstairs area, fresh trim and moulding around everywindow, crown moulding, new baseboards, new countertops in granite, new stainless appliances, and painted all the walls in a trendy color.

Now, this dinky, overpriced house just got about 50K in upgrades. Idiots. They'll never see that money back again.

Hey Tom, sounds killer.
When ya get finished send me a bus ticket..... I'll be staying in Monkey's basement. :) Then ya could say you have your very own "bouncing baby drunk."
I'm really liking the idea of a wet bar. That does mean "stocked" wet bar, right? J/K bro.

I wish I could just get my basement organized. Guess I'm going to try to do a lot of work on my crib this year if I can. (I hope) Wish I could move and start over, but me and the 'ol lady can't get together on it.

Hope they do ya a good job on the basement Tom. Hey bro, that is going to be your space.... Going to need it after you do the deal.
Good Luck.

digger said:
Hey Tom, sounds killer.
When ya get finished send me a bus ticket..... I'll be staying in Monkey's basement. :) Then ya could say you have your very own "bouncing baby drunk."
I'm really liking the idea of a wet bar. That does mean "stocked" wet bar, right? J/K bro.

I wish I could just get my basement organized. Guess I'm going to try to do a lot of work on my crib this year if I can. (I hope) Wish I could move and start over, but me and the 'ol lady can't get together on it.

Hope they do ya a good job on the basement Tom. Hey bro, that is going to be your space.... Going to need it after you do the deal.
Good Luck.

Definitely going to be a stocked wet bar! :banana: Digger you are welcome any time my friend. Anybody who wants to stop by is more than welcome.

The quote never came yesterday as I thought it would. The contractor did call and to get my email addy to send the quote, but I never recieved it. So the anticipation mounts! I hope I can afford it. I guess we will get as much done as we can affored. At least the hobby room aka (The dog house) and a storage room built. The rest I guess will have to wait. It would be a shame though... I already have the 47 inch LCD already picked out! LOL We shall see. Hopefully the quote will be in today. I promise you guys will be the second to know. I have to call the fiance first... you know how it goes. LOL

Well I have to run. For now the basement is still a dream.... hopefully a reality to come.

Take care guys.

Tom

Hey Guys,

The estimate is in! Well it was not as bad as I had thought. Only 49K instead of 60K. Not at all bad for a little over 1640 sq ft. The good thing is that this price is all inclusive and it includes everything that we wanted to do. I am stoked! We are getting a basement.... finished!
Take care guys!

Tom

Last edited:
Woo Hooo!!! Go for it.
When it comes to your house, you have to be comfortable.

I just got an acceptable bid for my master bedroom wood flooring. Went from 8k and 4 weeks out to 4.5K next week.

Make sure you take tons of before, during, and after photos.

Hey Ed, you got it man. I am definitely going to take a bunch of pics. I need to talk to you about the type of workbences for the RC room. I can't believe I am actually going to have a room for just me! I am going to have to buy alot more RC's to fill it up though!

Congrats on the wood flooring! That stuff really looks great!

Tom

Last edited:
Here you go.
http://www.gorillarack.com/products/workbench/workbench.htm

Pay a little extra and have them run 2-3 additional 20 amp circuits and a LOT of additional outlets in your hobby room. It shouldn’t cost more then 150-250 and is worth every penny.

Also have them put a 4-6 lamp florescent fixture in the ceiling.

Thinking about this now will give it a great finnished look with functionality you wish you had later on. Dont forget about phone line, cable TV line, and internet line.

Tom, is your basement entirely below grade or does it have an exit door on on end? BTW, I'll take you up on the wet bar offer!

I just got an acceptable bid for my master bedroom wood flooring. Went from 8k and 4 weeks out to 4.5K next week.

Ed, once my pup is one year old I plan to put wood all through the downstairs where I have carpet now. What type of wood do you plan to go with?

Thats awesome Tom. At my house we finished off the basement a few years after we bought the house. We've got a bar down there too, not stocked very often cuase my bro is still 20, soon to be 21 tho! For some reason mom doesn't stock it for us....

Anyway, I live in the basement. We have a propane stove, a full bathroom, mini fridge, and a microwave down there. Also got a couple of futons, and of course the big screen and sterio :) What else do you need? Now why the hell would I live in my room? I don't think I have spent the night in my real bedroom since like 2003 haha.

Congrats! You'll love it. The one thing I am missing is a room for the R/Cs, they just sorta go where ever there is space haha.

:thumbup: Nice Job Tom. 11k saved is 11k more you can spend on RC stuff. But don't tell the fiance thou, they tend to get alittle bent out of shape with things like that. J/K Glad everything worked out for the best for ya. Have fun setting up that work area for yourself.

Back