Antenna problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonhinson

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi
I recently purchased a bait boat and when it got delivered it had been damaged in transit. Can anyone please tell me why the antenna looks nothing like it’s supposed to do an if I can change it as it’s soldered to the circuit board.

The first picture is what the boat should look like if it had arrived, not damaged in transit. The second picture is what I received, a floppy antenna that I can not remove because it’s soldered to the board. The boat should have an adjust able antenna that can hold its own weight as the pictures show. Any help is gratefully received thanks.

5EDDBACD-579D-4E86-83B5-95A3E704597B.png

80E5C90A-8658-49BE-866F-0915C05B967C.jpeg

7B33F331-8B9E-4EB4-B718-E83C11AEA619.jpeg

B412D25D-DBF4-481D-82E6-3D1296E5394B.jpeg

C20E7B65-04FF-4C67-8F26-1FC547AB41E9.jpeg

BA1B8762-CB9E-476E-A537-36F9825D6401.jpeg

254C0B98-4113-429A-9248-9439702F1CE6.jpeg

That is strange. Seems the black "protective" plastic bit is missing.

But if you want, you can buy a RP-SMA pigtail like this:

H7b6dd890491b41ca99a4119e89ceb8dcj.jpg

Desolder the antenna from the board and solder in the new one. Remove the hotglue, and screw back the new RP-SMA connector and get a antenna that screws into the RP-SMA connector like this:

00558-1.jpg

The first picture is what the boat should look like if it had arrived, not damaged in transit. The second picture is what I received, a floppy antenna that I can not remove because it’s soldered to the board. The boat should have an adjust able antenna that can hold its own weight as the pictures show.
@mzanzirc is correct. The antenna your boat came with is similar to that of what you would find on a WiFI router or similar device. The antenna piece itself is there, but the protective cover is missing.

Who makes the RC boat?

I’m not sure who makes the boat it was bought on line. I’m not the best at soldering but I will give it a go and see if I can get a new one an get it soldered on. Thanks for all the advice it’s a big help.

I’m not sure who makes the boat it was bought on line. I’m not the best at soldering but I will give it a go and see if I can get a new one an get it soldered on. Thanks for all the advice it’s a big help.
Or you could just protect the antenna with a tube and call it a day. If the antenna itself is not damaged its all good to go.

That is strange. Seems the black "protective" plastic bit is missing.

But if you want, you can buy a RP-SMA pigtail like this:

View attachment 148921

Desolder the antenna from the board and solder in the new one. Remove the hotglue, and screw back the new RP-SMA connector and get a antenna that screws into the RP-SMA connector like this:

View attachment 148922
Do you think if I took the solder off either side of the antenna lead it would come away from the circuit board. Or is it soldered on at that silver point past the end of it please ?

60CAF34D-576B-4830-BF11-041FA5800EF8.jpeg

Do you think if I took the solder off either side of the antenna lead it would come away from the circuit board. Or is it soldered on at that silver point past the end of it please ?

View attachment 148929
Yeah in the antenna wire there is the "signal" and also then a ground. The metal sheeth around the coax is used as ground. So the antenna will be soldered to two points on the board.

On some boards I've seen them soldered either side, but in your case it looks to be in line but just further from each other.

In all honesty, if you are not comfortable with soldering i would advise you to just find a way to protect the antenna that is on there. Its a boat. So it wont hit a hard surface to break the antenna or rip it to shreds.

wait you said already your not good at soldering .id pass on fixing it yourself ,more than likley you will burn up contact points on circuit board, looks cheaply made. you do get what you pay for

Yeah in the antenna wire there is the "signal" and also then a ground. The metal sheeth around the coax is used as ground. So the antenna will be soldered to two points on the board.

On some boards I've seen them soldered either side, but in your case it looks to be in line but just further from each other.

In all honesty, if you are not comfortable with soldering i would advise you to just find a way to protect the antenna that is on there. Its a boat. So it wont hit a hard surface to break the antenna or rip it to shreds.
I’m just worried that if the wire is damaged as it should have a plastic sleeve round it. An it may not work as it should range wise I’m not sure if it’s longer or shorter than it should be as it was damaged upon arrival. I think the two bits of solder at the sides are the ground points an then the main cable is soldered in line.

I’m just worried that if the wire is damaged as it should have a plastic sleeve round it. An it may not work as it should range wise I’m not sure if it’s longer or shorter than it should be as it was damaged upon arrival. I think the two bits of solder at the sides are the ground points an then the main cable is soldered in line.
Yes, you are correct. The ground is on the side and the "signal" is on the little blob as you can see the traces on the board goes to a chip.

If you can't see any physical damage on the antenna, then you should be fine. If there is no damage, I would not risk desoldering it from the board.

You can also measure the antenna. A typical 2.4ghz antenna should be around 28.8mm to max 32mm long. If it's in that ballpark, then the antenna should not have any range issues.

The other thing to consider is returning the boat because it was damaged. Make it the suppliers problem for supplying a broken item. If it was bought new. :)

Yes, you are correct. The ground is on the side and the "signal" is on the little blob as you can see the traces on the board goes to a chip.

If you can't see any physical damage on the antenna, then you should be fine. If there is no damage, I would not risk desoldering it from the board.

You can also measure the antenna. A typical 2.4ghz antenna should be around 28.8mm to max 32mm long. If it's in that ballpark, then the antenna should not have any range issues.

The other thing to consider is returning the boat because it was damaged. Make it the suppliers problem for supplying a broken item. If it was bought new. :)
It was bought new an damaged in transit by Royal Mail. So the seller said that I could have a full refund but he could not except the boat back as it’s damaged an he can not resell it. He said he would refund me then claim off Royal Mail. So I thought if I could fix the issues all the better for me just had to repair the damage an buy a battery charger as that was lost when the damage was caused.

It was bought new an damaged in transit by Royal Mail. So the seller said that I could have a full refund but he could not except the boat back as it’s damaged an he can not resell it. He said he would refund me then claim off Royal Mail. So I thought if I could fix the issues all the better for me just had to repair the damage an buy a battery charger as that was lost when the damage was caused.
Well if he will refund you and you keep the boat, then bargain, you have nothing to loose. :)

I would look for an antenna pigtail like in my pic above, desolder and resolder a new one and connect a new screw on antenna.

If not clear, this is what' they are talking about for ground vs signal on the board:
2022-0715-coaxialGroundSignalSolderPoints.jpg

Externally, this is the most important part of a coaxial antenna (which is what this is):
2022-0715-coaxialSignalPigtail.jpg

The length of that little uncovered pigtail part is tuned to the proper wavelength of whatever receiver is in the boat. If that gets cut or damaged at all, your range will suffer quite a bit. So whatever you do should be to protect that. The rest of the antenna is kind of irrelevant, unless the outer sheathing/ground gets cracked/cut, then it detunes the antenna.

If not clear, this is what' they are talking about for ground vs signal on the board:
2022-0715-coaxialGroundSignalSolderPoints.jpg

Externally, this is the most important part of a coaxial antenna (which is what this is):
2022-0715-coaxialSignalPigtail.jpg

The length of that little uncovered pigtail part is tuned to the proper wavelength of whatever receiver is in the boat. If that gets cut or damaged at all, your range will suffer quite a bit. So whatever you do should be to protect that. The rest of the antenna is kind of irrelevant, unless the outer sheathing/ground gets cracked/cut, then it detunes the antenna.
I bought the parts I needed an removed the old antenna but I’m struggling to solder the new one on. It’s a very very fiddly job to say the least. It’s a tiny pad that you have to put the signal wire too, an not that much room for the ground wires. I never shy away from trying things but I’m beginning to wish I had not swooped the antenna given my very basic experience of soldering. If anyone could see my a attempt at soldering the new main switch on. But it dnt look pretty but it works. Just think that I’m trying to replace the antenna I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. Just hope when I get someone to look at it I haven’t done any damage to the board in my botched attempt to solder the new one on. Every day is a school day fingers crossed that i have not done any lasting damage.

Does anyone know can I use the connection in the pictures to attach to the circuit board to correct my existing problem, or do I have to cut off the gold bit an strip the wire please ?

81E6BB50-21E1-4CEE-8FB5-571C24B09832.png

38591846-318E-4A68-BD62-DF2625027BC8.png

39BAAEA8-DC51-48BE-8CA4-AE6CA841E844.jpeg

3B86D46F-B477-423B-B9A1-36683A99D538.jpeg

The gold outside bit is the ground, there's a center pin that is the actual antenna/signal wire. So, even if you did solder the gold bit, you still need to connect the center pin which would be a real pain to solder without bridging to the outer gold part.

I'm coming up empty finding one of these you can solder to the board then connect the antenna to it...
https://www.globalsources.com/RF-ca...e-assembly-soldering-open-end-1145264883p.htm