Another... Which should I get?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTarget

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I normally am not a fan of these kind of posts... But.. I am in need of some assistance and don't have many local resources to ask these questions.

I'm just getting back into RC after being out for a few years, not really out, just didn't put much effort in. I've only owned one nitro vehicle (many electric), the Duratrax Nitro Evader BX. I've enjoyed running it over the years and wish to continue to do so, but find myself wanting something .. well.. more. I've driven other nitro's over the years and have helped others set theirs up and have gotten a taste for more speed.

So here's what i'm looking for:
I will mainly be running this in non-race situations. Mostly bashing or maybe the occasional get together with friends. It will be ran off-road 90%+ of the time. I'm looking for something that runs well in the grass (preferably out of the box!), able to do some minor hill climbing as I don't live in a very flat area, some minor jumping(could increase depending on how well it does) and can get some serious speed. I'd like a RTR, as I need a new radio/receiver anyway and would like to keep the budget around $400ish for the RTR. I already have or will get the other accessories.. fuel, receiver battery, etc. Being able to get spare parts for a couple years would also be important, but you never know what the availability of parts will be with any vehicle.

I have access some great off-road areas to bash, but I also love just sitting on my Deck being able to bash around the yard. I have some nice hills in my yard that could potentially make some nice ramps, nothing too high but definitely noticeable. The Evader, when in grass, seems to just bog down and ends up running too hot. For this, it doesn't get much running times these days as it has become harder and harder to go to an "ideal" place to run it. I have been looking into Nitro and Electric w/brushless, but keep coming back to Nitro.

Here are the vehicles i'm looking at (all of which are traxxas as that's what the LHS's carry parts for, but i'm not against other brands... just would have order any parts online and possibly be down for days on end...plus the EZ start system is a plus. From the two times I used one with a friend it definitely left a good impression with me!) :

Traxxas Slayer - Have a Tamiya F-150 4wd (10 yrs old!)that I just love.. this reminds me of it, but with much more power and probably much more sturdy! Just not sure of how it would run in the grass. Plus it looks like a debris magnet for the chassis.

Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 - Never been a huge fan of Monster Trucks, but I have to admit that driving one in the past made me change my mind. Wasn't as slow as I had imagined anything with those big tires and 4wd would be! I think this would definitely go wherever i'd need to take it without much effort. Correct me if i'm wrong. Might suffer from some debris getting into the chassis, but not as much as the Slayer.

Traxxas Jato 3.3 - Definitely would have the speed factor, but not so sure of it's off-road capabilities. Most videos I find for it are on-road speed tests. I wouldn't be against a tire change if that's all that's needed. I like how the body mostly seals the chassis to help keep debris out. Which the previous models will definitely have problems collecting debris. i've had previous experience with little stones getting into things and causing damage.. but what is the ground clearance like?

Traxxas Revo - This looks good, I just don't like the fact that the price is a little higher. The Slayer seems to be the same package, with different arms and tires. I'm sure there's more to it, but to me that's all i can see and i'm not sure it's worth the step up in price. Speed-wise it seems that the T-Maxx is in the same range as well as the Slayer.

So it seems that the Revo, Slayer and T-Maxx will be about the same speed. They are all 4wd and will probably go offroad much better than the Jato. There's no doubt that the Jato will be the fastest, being 2wd there's less for the engine to have to turn. Doing wheelies looks cool, but not something I absolutely have to have the vehicle do. It would be fun, but not needed. I mentioned debris getting into the chassis... that's just due to the fact of previous vehicles of mine suffering from broken parts when a little pebble got inside and either ended up breaking gearing or other equipment. Not really a deciding factor, but it would be nice to have some piece of mind. My F-150 always ends up screeching to a halt due to something getting under the body.

So any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Plus any other recommendations will be looked at. Sorry if there's too much text, I can be very long winded! Tried to keep it to a minimum! :hehe:

ok i had the same problem between the same cars after alot of reserch i got the t maxx 3.3 the jato is terible for grass i think the slayer is not as good for bashing and grass so i say the revo or t maxx i just like the tmaxx features

if you are looking for a basher i would go with a savage they are very durable imo

he said traxxas

That's alright. I'm open for any suggestions. Right now I prefer Traxxas due to availability of parts both online and at my LHS. This doesn't mean I absolutely have to go with them. Just would make getting that emergency part to keep me running that same day much easier!

HPI is a brand I've trusted as well, just haven't read up on their current line up. What would the advantages be of the Savage over the others I mentioned? as far as speed goes, are they comparable?

Another vote for the Savage, but if you must go with Traxxas either the Revo or the Tmaxx will give you what you want. I had a Slayer and they are stupid fast but the small tires would hinder it in the grass and heavy off-road areas, plus it is fairly hard to drive and not flip over. I found that smooth dirt baseball fields was where the Slayer was right at home.

Another vote for the Savage, but if you must go with Traxxas either the Revo or the Tmaxx will give you what you want. I had a Slayer and they are stupid fast but the small tires would hinder it in the grass and heavy off-road areas, plus it is fairly hard to drive and not flip over. I found that smooth dirt baseball fields was where the Slayer was right at home.

I had the feeling about the Slayer not being the best choice. I just really like the looks of them. Having the Tamiya F-150, I was aware of how it handled, but was hoping that the extra HP would make up for some of the problems.

Thanks for all the replies guys, keep them coming! :)

Lots of Votes for the Savage. I am assuming everyone is talking about the Savage X 4.6 RTR? I noticed that there seems to be a few different 4.6 engines, or am I just reading too much into it?

F and K versions?

Lots of Votes for the Savage. I am assuming everyone is talking about the Savage X 4.6 RTR? I noticed that there seems to be a few different 4.6 engines, or am I just reading too much into it?

F and K versions?

I think pretty much any Savage would be recommended. They have a very loyal and enthusiastic following. Easy to get parts, relatively inexpensive, tough as nails. I don't own one but if I do pick up a MT, the Savage will probably be it.

The K4.6 produces 2.9HP @ 29,000RPM, and the F4.6 produces 2.9HP @ 32,000RPM, so I think the F4.6 is faster.

I am really surprised at the quick response i've gotten from this thread and the answers. Nice to get this kind of feedback!

Still not totally sold, but I have definitely narrowed it down. I'm going to say it's now between the Revo, T-Maxx and Savage. Leaning towards the latter 2 as i'm not sure the Revo would go where those two could.

I am really surprised at the quick response i've gotten from this thread and the answers. Nice to get this kind of feedback!

Still not totally sold, but I have definitely narrowed it down. I'm going to say it's now between the Revo, T-Maxx and Savage. Leaning towards the latter 2 as i'm not sure the Revo would go where those two could.

Someone should have told you, RCNT *is* the best RC forum on the net.

:D

The savage X 4.6 RTR is the best version of the nitro savage HPI has ever made IMO. Get one and you won't be disappointed!

Its the cheapest out of all the ones you are talking about (except the tmaxx) But they are outdated and weak.

Last edited:
The savage X 4.6 RTR is the best version of the nitro savage HPI has ever made IMO. Get one and you won't be disappointed!

Its the cheapest out of all the ones you are talking about (except the tmaxx) But they are outdated and weak.

From just watching some videos of the savage, it sure does look durable!

Only one supporter of the T-Maxx so far... hmm....

REVO I never owned a Savage But have a few Revos.Strong,fast,addaptable!

REVO I never owned a Savage But have a few Revos.Strong,fast,addaptable!

Okay, 1 vote for T-Maxx, One for Revo... whole bunch for Savage!

Pretty hard not to consider the Savage! lol

Don't forget to check out ebay. I picked up a 2.5 maxx for $170. Runs great. The only bad thing about ebay is the possibility of someone giving a false description of the item your checking out. I've made 15 purchases off of ebay in the last three months and have had no problems. By the way, all you Savage heads have got my wheels spinning! They sound bad-a$$! Until I see one in person though, I have to recommend a 3.3 Maxx. My buddy's is quite impressive!

I've owned both the Revo 3.3 and the Savage X SS. I like them both for different reasons. The Revo was quick and fast and was more fun on smaller jumps. It was relatively easy to work on and when I lived in Tulsa, parts were readilly available. Parts availability had a lot to do with the Revo purchase. The downfall to the Revo (IMO) is with the price tag, I expected it to be a little tougher.

The Savage is a all around bad a$$ MT. I bought the X ss so I could build it myself and do a couple of mods. I've flipped, cartwheeled, landed on my lid, ran in to a curb , etc.... and all I've managed to break is 1 turnbuckle, lost dogbone in the TALL GRASS, and broke steer servo horn. It's worth every penny that I put in to it! The only down fall to the Savage is support from the lhs. I'm 45 minutes from them anyways so unless I need fuel, I buy online anyway. Hope this can help.